Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kroach001

Need Advice for Hedge planting

kroach001
14 years ago

I live on a farm off a busy rural route. Our old Farmhouse sits maybe 100 ft from the road. I would like to plant a hedge for privacy along the front of our property... doesn't have to be super tall because we are up on a hill a bit from the road, 5-6 ft would do just fine, but it does need to be reasonably dense. Can't have anything there over probably 25' because of power lines...

ANYHOW... I was thinking it would be GREAT if I could plant something edible there!!! Anyone have any ideas of something that would stay evergreen, be useful as a solid hedge AND edible?? If not, any ideas for a solid, tight hedge that doesn't require tons of shaping would be greatly appreciated!!!! The area gets full sun, excellent drainage, decent soil. I've read where some people use blueberries as a hedge, but I haven't been able to find a single picture of a good blueberry hedge online anywhere. I have blueberries planted on my property, and they are not very densely leaved at all. They are still young though and never having them before, I don't know, maybe they get more shrub like as they get older? Any and all ideas would be appreciated! A mixed hedge would be great too... edible is definately preferred though! :)

I live 15 minutes from "Edible Landscaping" a very popular nursery in Afton, VA that I see a lot of people on here talk about. I have purchased from them quite a bit, but sometimes they don't have the best selections...

THANKS ALL!!! I know there are some great ideas out there!

THANKS!!!!

Comments (5)