Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runsnwalken

Day lilies are edible.

runsnwalken
15 years ago

You know the orange day long bloom,plus buds and tubers are edible,found out about it in Stalking The Wild Asparagus

Comments (8)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Wow.... I'm definitely going to research that one some more... thanks for the post...

Blessings,
    Angela

• sunshineboy
    15 years ago

They are definetly edible...I eat them every season. The red or orange daylilies are more bitter, while stella d oros and other yellows are not. The flower petals are great on salads and have buttery flavor. I love walking through the garden giving a tour and pluck some petals and pop in my mouth.
    Also, I have chopped the flower buds up and used in a stir fry.
    I have never eater the roots, tubers or leaves so I cannot comment about that.
    Enjoy your new found eats...sunshineboy

• fragrantgarden99
    15 years ago

this is the same vegetable used in Chinese hot and sour soup and in moo shu dishes.(it is the shu part, the moo part being the woodear mushrooms)
    FG

• glib
    15 years ago

As others have pointed out, the petals go well in salads. As luck may have it, the blooms are at their prime during the late part of lettuce prime season (June here), so you know what to pair them with.

The shoots are best eaten when about 3 inches long. You can chop and saute' them, but they can be mixed in a spring salad. The advantage of this semi-wild edible is that they are tremendously abundant, at least around here. They also come earlier in the season (early April, with spring dandelion) than fiddleheads, cattail shoots, or bamboo shoots (these all come in late april here), although daylily shoots are not in the same class taste-wise.

• smittee
    15 years ago

One comment, I am originaly from Washington. I have eaten fiddle heads for years, they are yummy, but tricky.

They are covered with a fine red fuzz. The trick is to pick tightly folded heads, when they open they are NOT edible. Place them in a pan of water, bring to a boil,remove from heat and rinse....Repeat at least 3 times 4 should be enough to make the tender. Serve as you would asparagas. We like them with ranch dressing on the side.

HERE IS THE GLITCH. EATING in over abundance is not healthy
    We were always told that in quanity they were a carcinigen Sp?sorry....So we limited them to 2 times a season. But it was a delicacy we always looked forward to.

Don't think they grow in Florida where I live now.

• jarvisfamily4
    15 years ago

You must be careful, I have read that only the original/wild orange, single bloom daylillies are edible. Some of the fancy hybrids are actually poisonous.
    Here is a quote from "Eat the Weeds":

Now there are some 60,000 cultivars of daylilies. They have been bred for color, height, the number of petals, stature et cetera. The result is they are not all edible. In fact it is anyone's guess as to whether the cultivars are edible or not. So while it is fairly easy to identify the original daylilly, and to identify a daylily cultivar, finding out if the latter is edible is a challenge. That of course, is why one needs to contact a local expert and or the owner of the daylily. While the original daylily is edible  with some qualifications I will get to  all others are to be suspect no matter what your guidebook says. If someone tells you their daylily is edible ask them to prove it.

• wildforager
    14 years ago

Try to eat a smaller unripened flower bud. I've done it, the taste is unforgettable. Hint, its not yummy.

-Little John

• mudflapper
    14 years ago

Some say the unripe seed pod's taste like green beans, Nope! they taste much better.

Sponsored