Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puffie_gw

Multi-Fruit tree just planted this year

puffie
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but I've already gotten so much useful information. I can't wait to eat everything in my yard :P

The real reason I'm writing is because I have a question about fruit trees. As a housewarming gift this past spring, I got a "multi-fruit" tree. Basically it was a peach tree stem with a bunch of grafted buds on it from other stone fruits (plum, nectarine, various peaches). When I got it, it was just a tiny stick with five little grafts. Since then, 4 of the five grafts have grown branches and now it's about to go dormant for the winter. Does anyone know if there is anything I need to do for this little guy before the true freezes hit?

Also, has anyone tried this kind of crazy fruit-tree frankenstein before? I'd really just like to hear from someone who knows something about grafting fruit trees. I just have no idea what to expect!

Thanks!!

Comments (2)

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Hello, I have one. It came with 5 grafts, 2 plums, peach, apricot, and nectarine. The nectarine graft was really weak, and died the second year. The rest are very healthy and it has done well. It's now a pretty mature tree. I got about half a bushel of each type of fruit off it this year. It's a fun little tree because it's so "wierd." This type of tree would be ideal for those with really limited space. They are a bit "goofy" looking because of each type of tree has a different growth pattern -- definitely a conversation piece.

There really isn't anything "special" in terms of basic care that you need to do with hardy woody plants for the winter, other than make sure the soil is nice and moist before the freeze up, and perhaps mulch the soil deeply to help moderate freeze-thaw cycles.

IF you live some place where animals are likely to bother it, you might want to consider throwing a hardware cloth cylinder around the trunk to prevent rabbits from killing it by stripping the bark, and if deer are an issue, make a big cylinder of six foot fencing wire or similar and put that over the entire tree while it's young.

Finally, I'd put a nice, sturdy bamboo or steel plant pole in the ground next to it and secure the tree to it several places with old nylon stockings or similar, just to ensure it doesn't snap off from a heavy ice load.

First thing as soon as winter is over, you need to do some spraying -- dormant oil and lime-sulfur for peach leaf curl. Both of these products are available at garden centers. I can't recall if they can be mixed together or if they MUST be applied separate a few weeks apart do to a synergistic phytotoxicity effect, but the labels will tell you this. Then, a good regular spray and fertilizer program to ensure good quality fruit free from insects and disease. Also, be sure to start fertilizing regularly in the spring to encourage good growth (follow label directions on whatever you type you purchase).

• puffie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that it actually will make fruit eventually! How many years old is your tree now? Was this the first year it had any fruit? About how tall is it now?

Thank you for the advice about spraying--should I spray when the leaves are just budding or should I wait until the tree is fully leafed out? Do all the branches bloom at the same time?? I'm glad you have been successful with this type of tree--I'd never heard of it before this spring!

Thank you again for answering all these questions! :D

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21