Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Beach Plum as Foundation Planting?

edlincoln
9 years ago

I'm going to buy a boyfriend for an existing Beach Plum, and am trying to figure out where to put it.

Would it work a couple feet from a house as a foundation planting? Or would the roots cause problems?

How far can it be from the other beach plum to pollinate it?

...and how long until I get a crop of fruit?

Comments (8)

• pinusresinosa
    9 years ago

Prunus maritima (I assume this is the beach plum you're referring to?) is a suckering and spreading larger shrub-type of woody plant, so it would be best I would think kept away from the foundation of your home, to be safe. They can get up to about 10 feet tall. You can cut back suckering growth yearly in late winter from the base to encourage a trunk to form and thicken if you like the tree form, or let it grow how it will and it'll form a dense mounding shape.

The general rule for cross pollination of fruit trees is no more than 100 feet apart for good pollination- the closer the better. I have apple trees on my property that are about that far apart from the big old crab apple that I use for pollination and this works well.

Nurseries say 2-3 years after transplant and you can expect a crop, but depending on initial size and health after transplant and all that, it could take a longer or shorter amount of time.

These beach plums are a great addition to the landscape for a lot of reasons, so I think you're making a great choice here. Cornell is working on making them more suited to commercial production even, given the quality of fruit these produce and how hardy the species is. Can't argue with the blooms in the early spring either. :)

And in case you're interested, the pawpaw is another great edible landscape tree. They get larger than beach plums of course. They're also a native of the US, hardy, healthy, and the fruit is a long time forgotten treat which deserves more recognition. You don't see them in commercial production because pawpaw fruit don't store and ship well- best eaten fresh! They're delicious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pawpaw tree

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

Do these require sandy soil? I have red clay and can amend it a bit. Anyone tried that yet?

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pinusresinosa:

Three and then two years ago I planted Beach Plum from 1 quart pots on an embankment near the beech. Haven't got any fruit yet. I've actually planted some pawpaw as well. I like the idea of planting native, but I also like trees that produce something edible, and there is limited overlap. Also interested in American Persimmon.

wynnho: I don't know about clay but I know they grow well in sand and in rich loam.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I have native persimmon, but not a named variety. Can send seeds (I think I saved them). I KNOW I can send some in the fall. My dog likes fruit, too, and eats the ones that fall to the ground.

I have the seeds of 2 types of native plums. One is the local P. americana, a cherry-sized red tart plum - not much flesh on it, but survives neglect- seen on the side of roads. The other I got from a guy online and the plums are better than the P. americana. My trees got a fungus, though...they were WAYYY too close together and in a sheltered area with not enough air circulation. But they gave fruit. I saved the seed of those if anyone wants to trade.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interested in the P. americana seeds. Although honestly I'd more interested in baby volunteer saplings, if you have any around. I ran into a little glitch buying them bare root online. May be able to offer Bayberry seeds or possibly spare tiny bare root Beach Plum in the Spring. How do you use Houzz to message someone?

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

Ed, I probably have both. I don't have enough good soil to transplant all of the p. americana saplings, so might be able to sacrifice a couple. I'd have to cut them back to mail them, I guess. I like the orange wild CA plum so much better that I wish I could mail you all of my p. americanas, but they are too big. They are about the flower bud-out now, I think.

If you figure a way out for me to mail them, let me know. I planted those plum seeds in a veggie bed and want the veggie space back !

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you check the weather for Boston, nothing is getting planted for a couple months. If one of us remember come April, I'd love to have you mail me some American Persimmon saplings and seeds. How can I private message you my address?

Sponsored