Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who knows about growing Truffels?

Posted by dkny 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 1:50

I am thinking of growing a truffle inoculated hazelnut tree in my Brooklyn backyard. Does anybody know anything about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who knows about growing Truffels?

They like fairly alkaline soil (idea pH 7.9 for black truffles). There are several kinds of truffles so you'll want to get a type that's adapted for your climate. For example, where I'm at the French Perigord / Black truffle matures after things are getting pretty frozen over, and the Burgundy truffle was recommended for my area. You want to plant them away from indigenous trees so the mycorrhizae from the locals don't come over and out-compete the truffle mycorrhizae.

I worked with Charles LeFevre at New World Truffieres to innoculate some Burr Oak acorns/seedlings. While the trees took quite well to the truffles, I thought my house would have been built long ago but alas my trees are still in pots (look nice though) and they're still too young to expect crops anywas.

Here is a link that might be useful: New World Truffieres

o

I bought 4 truffle-innoculated hazelnut trees from Charles Lefevre at New World Truffieres and planted them here on Chehalem Mountain outside Portland, Oregon. The trees are growing fine (about 2.5 feet tall), but plan to give the truffles several years to (hopefully) spread. Charles is very helpful via email.

o

I'm bumping this up because I gifted 5 Hazelnut trees to a relative in Santa Cruz CA (same climate as Oregon and lots of wooded areas where mushrooms abound), and I was wondering where do you get the spores? for the truffles and how do you innoculate?

Do you just purchase fresh truffles and plant them at the base of the hazelnut tree??

Truffles are entirely outrageously expensive, and I'd love to taste one, but if I must buy some, I'd like her to turn them into several more at the base of her Hazelnuts!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here