Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ggalper

Where to Purchase Large Feijoa, Pineapple Guava Tree

ggalper
20 years ago

I live in Zone 9 (Palo Alto, CA) and would like to plant a feijoa, pineapple guava in my front yard. I would like to start with as large of a tree as reasonably possible, as our little house needs a bit of presence.

Does anyone know whom I could call to acquire one?

Thank you.

Comments (18)

• larry_gene
    20 years ago

Checkerspot Nursery in Pacifica might be a lead, see this Website:

http://www.almanacnews.com/paw/paonline/almanac/morgue/1998/1998_09_02.nurse.html

Also
    http://www.canopy.org/about.html is in Palo Alto, and might be able to refer you.

• ratbird
    20 years ago

I actually got our feijoa tree at orchard supply in sunnyvale! I had been looking for about 8 months before I found one in the bay area. The problem is, that the tree was not that big, probably 2' in height when bought. (Doubled it's size in 6 months)

I have been through a lot of garden centres and never seen a large one. You might consider advertising on postings like craigslist for someone who might have a more mature one.

• larry_gene
    20 years ago

Or simply have patience since this plant is a fast grower, as ratbird states.
    I would easily get 3 feet per year in Portland if I didn't pinch it back.

• campesina
    20 years ago

Well,
    we have 3 such trees, and fruit is falling off the trees right now! Does anyone have recipes for pineapple guava?

Thanks

• Jillberto
    20 years ago

Hi there, mine has not fruited yet so I have not worried about what to do with the fruit once I get some. But here is a link to a thread about some recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on uses for Feijoa

• taylor_tx
    20 years ago

The "Super Walmart" here has the fruits in the produce department. I bought one for $1.50 just so I could sow the seeds. It is much cheaper than what Thompson & Morgan wants for them, and much fresher! lol...
    -Taylor

• GregoryCushing
    19 years ago

Go to Home Depot and ask them to call the vendor. Last time I was there they had 3ft X 4ft bushy ones the were unnamed. I am guessing Coolidge, ask them to make sure it is named.
    PS
    Drive down Louis Rd and look for the house with the red stripe around it(I have a theme). I have 2 named pinapple types here but, more unnamed types at my San Jose house.

Here is a link that might be useful: CFRG pinapple guava

• lizann
    19 years ago

Berkeley Horticultural Nursery in Berkeley had them a while back, some named varieties that were fairly large. maybe you could give them a call....

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

I saw some at one of 2 nurseries in Cupertino, on de Anza just south of I-85, I think the Yamagami nursery, not the Summerwinds. They were kind of expensive but they had named varieties in big sizes.

• cerealtrader
    19 years ago

I'd appreciate any pineapple guava sightings in nurseries around the Portland, OR area.. I've purchased some seeds, but, so far no luck..

.. and to think I grew up overseas with hundreds of fallen feijoas all over the yard, what a mess..

~cerealtrader

• prop3
    15 years ago

To Larry or anyone... what fert can you recommend for my young feijoa trees (2 feet)? I am North Texas. How can I get 3 feet per year :)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Interesting thread. I have a strawberry guava, and purchased some pineapple guava seeds on ebay. Gosh! They were tiny! Like specks of pepper.

I put some potting soil in a container, sprinkled the seeds over that, misted a little more soil on top of that, and boom!! I have 4 babies that just sprouted. They don't have their true leaves yet.

I heard you need two for polination. Nice to know they grow fast!

• carolync1
    15 years ago

Also consider getting named varieties of pineapple guava. Some of the specimens sold for landscaping do not have outstanding fruit. Sunset used to have some climate suggestions for different varieties. Haven't checked the current edition.

I couldn't link the CRFG site by the usual method, but here's the main Fruit Facts page.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/frtfacts.html

• tammysf
    15 years ago

Laverne nursery has them and sells to home depot. Ask HD or lowes to order one for you.

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

We picked up 2 at Home Depot in San Carlos that someone had ordered and ducked out of picking up, but now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know what variety they are, since that seems to be an issue.

Guess I'll have to do some more reading up on them, and if these aren't the ones I want, I think they can be returned.

• Kevin Reilly
    13 years ago

Bump...anyone get named Feijoa's in the bay area (san Jose specifically) recently?

• bob_z6
    13 years ago

I've seen Pineapple Guava at RollingRiver. I've never gotten Guava, but they've been good for other purchases (gooseberries and currants so far, with a larger order for this spring).

http://www.rollingrivernursery.com

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

Well, I got two of the hybrid seedlings from Rolling River. I would not have purchased them if I had seem them that is for sure. There are really spindly/thin and don't see how this (what looks like a cutting) will become a bush. They are alive and growing though. Summer Winds had unnamed varieties for 9$ in much better shape. I bought two there and then saw a Coolidge at Home Depot for 18$. Picked that up and a month later see Naemetz (sp?) at HD for 20$ and pick that up. I move my spindly Rolling River ones out to some place in the yard and replace with the HD varieties. I also so Naemetz at Lowe's quite large trained as a tree for 35$ I think.