Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jagoda1234

Plants under walnut and oak tree

Jagoda1234
12 years ago

Hi!

We just got a piece of land that has been totally abandoned for years - there are various shrubs and brambles everywhere. The soil is very heavy, clay. Anyhow, I want to turn it into mostly edible place.

I have pretty much sorted out what I want to grow on the land except I am not sure what to grow under walnut (6 very large trees) and oak trees. Walnut trees are very productive but I have heard many times how nothing grows under them because of juglandin (chemical they release). But this has me confused because there is a jungle growing underneath all 6 walnut trees! along with brumbles (mostily blackberries and dewberries) there are a lot of strawberry leaves. So I know these plants apparently manage to grow under walnuts it is just that I don't know if they produce any fruit (I just got to this place)? anyone has any input?

And there is one huge oak tree which I could never get rid of because it is so magnificant even it it isn't that usefull...Does anyone have any ideas what plant could grow underneath it? It does cast quite a heavy shade...

I am more into shrubs and trees (love them) and I can't grow them underneath oak and walnut trees so would be happy to hear of any suggestions for suitable understory plants. I prefer them to be edible tho and not too labor-demanding :)

Thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored