Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilted_flower

POMEGRANATE problem fruit still white :(

wilted_flower
19 years ago

Can anyone tell me what we are doing wrong?

Our Pomegranate is about 9-10 and has lots of fruit, the pomegranates are 4-5 inches. Nice size, Nice and RED on the outside but they never ripen on the inside :( This tree is in the hot desert, gets ALL day sun and plenty of water.

We are about to tear it out and replace it with something useful that will either produce something edible or a shade tree.

Does anyone have any advice on WHY the fruit doesn't ripen?

Thanks!

WF

Comments (16)

• twosunsaz
    19 years ago

Is it possible that it might ripen much later ? I have
    several different kinds of pomegranates and each one ripens
    at a different time.I have "Wonderful" ; "Ambrosia" ; and
    an unnamed variety. The unnamed one currently has dark red
    fruit of about 4" diameter and is still white inside. It has
    been bearing for 4-5 years now and the fruit doesn`t usually
    ripen until December.Insides become sweet and red/purple.
    I`m assuming you`ve tasted the fruit and it `s not sweet.
    I say this because I`ve heard of varieties that ripen even tho` the insides don`t gain much color.
    If no one on these forums can help you and you still want
    to grow pomegranates, I`ll have a few well rooted cuttings
    of "Ambrosia" and The unnamed variety (my fave) available
    for trade later this year.

• wilted_flower
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the offer of cuttings :)

AND thanks for the replies!!

We took all the fruit off the trees because it rained pretty heavy and most were splitting. This isn't a good year for testing since it never rains this early...so, I think we'll just prune it waaaaaaaaaay back and see what happens next year. We may try and sell this house and move so not sure which would be best for the new people. The Pom or a shade tree...I think we'll leave the tree alone because if nothing else, the birds enjoy the poms.

Thanks again!
    Sierra

• tampede
    18 years ago

I live in San Antonio, Tx and planted a pomegranite tree 3 yrs ago. It is now as tall as the 2nd story of the house and blooming still in Mid October. The fruits are at least4-5inches but have small black spots on the outside and barely pink. Half of the seeds are rotted inside as well. The good fruit tastes like lemons. f I am not sure of the variety since this was supposed to be an ornamental bush. Do I have to spray the tree and why is it still blooming and producing fruit in October?

• kquat
    16 years ago

A friend gave me a Pom seedling over 10 years ago. 6 years later, it bloomed and had fruits. The flowers are beautiful but the fruits are not good. The tree had been so agressive, so I digged it up and planted it in a pot. Now the tree is bare (no leaf). By the way I bought another one still in the pot, its leaves are yellow now. Do Poms trees go dormant in the winter? Kim

• piranha338
    16 years ago

kquat, yes pomegranates do go dormant in the winter. A few friends of mine have pomegranites that are dormant. My rooting cutting still has leaves tho, its indoors in a window sill.
    Brian

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I have a large pomegranate tree that was here when we bought the house. Can someone tell me how to care for it. All I did was water it this summer when we didn't have rain for a while. It was loaded with fruit but they all split open and there were a lot of bugs that I thought were assassin bugs but they appears to be putting holes in the fruit and sucking the juice. I ended up giving them all to my friend that has large birds that like them would like to know what to do for it so I can eat the fruit next year. The neighbors said they like the fruit too but for the past several years nobody has sprayed the tree and its always full of bugs but not til right as the fruit starts to ripen. Any ideas? Please email if I dont see the replies. I just happened to find this forum when I was looking around. I am in Texas if it matters. Thanks

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

I have pomegranites that do not turn dark red inside or out other than the seeds. It is very difficult to catch them at peak in the South of Texas (USA). On yrs that it rains heavy, I find the pomegranites do not produce as sweet. So I do not water them unless they get near dying from the dread aweful Texas heat. To fertalize a pomegranite, I have heard and use only fish emulsion (or fish waste from a fishing trip).
    Here is a picture I took today after checking them. http://VictoriaTx.us/VTSMpomegranite.jpeg
    I check them every weekend. This is the end of July. And these poms are near ripe. Very very sweet, but yet I like a little tart, with no bitter bite. They will go to a deep red in and out, but in the South Texas heat. You would have to nearly grow them in a greenhouse and even then you would have to check them several times a day once they near the ripening stage they dry off otherwise. If you water them, you'll just loose the magic. That is why they are called the Queens Gaurdian :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: VTSM (Victoria Texas Social Media)

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

Of all the fruit tree varieties on my property, my pomegranite is the Northern most.

Hope that helps !
    GOD Bless
    http://VictoriaTx.us/GardeningKnows.doc

Don't ever give up :-)

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the way your tree is baring. (for its position) get some tree growth over it) shade it some. Or move it to the East side of you building so that it gets relief during the blaring hot hrs. It will do fine, provided you do not water it yourself :-). Let nature do that !

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

To the addition of fish emulsion, you may want to add some rose fertilizer. In very minute amounts, and at a random intermittant frequency.

Good Luck,
    Join me on facebook -
    http://facebook.com/VictoriaTx.us
    rmholy

Here is a link that might be useful: twit w/VTSM

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

Some, Osmosis (fruit tree B-12) ok.
    But do not piss on it with your coffee.
    Try that on your orange trees :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: facebook - VTSM

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

Some cola (beverage carbonation) in the Spring to help it grab nitro, and a can of beer, to ease its root touch into rest, is a thoughtful jesture also it should appreciate it before Winter hits it. eModest all !

• VictoriaTexas
    12 years ago

I always mix my colas with dishwashing liquid when inducing a plant kiss !

Feel That ?

Here is a link that might be useful: VTSM

• Navin Patel
    8 years ago

My fruits are great, but they split on the tree. I am 40 miles east of SF, CA, which is perfect weather for pomegranates. Please help. Thanks in advance.

• gordon7979
    6 years ago

I live in Western Australia and my pomegranate grows really well I have nice big fruit , really deep red inside but they are not very sweet, quite tart actually any ideas on why they are not sweetening? Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you

Sponsored