Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
menaark

Elderberry Plants

menaark
16 years ago

Howdy Folks!!

I'm having a devil of a time finding Elderberry plants. Lots of I-net sources list "Black Beauty" and other ornamentals. But, I'm looking for good old "Adams #2" and "York". Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. $20 bucks a plant is kinda steep isn't it?

Comments (16)

• fleurgrl
    16 years ago

I know Fedco carries Adams #1, and Gurney's, Raintree Nursery and Henry Fields all carry York. Adams #2, I do not know.
    Good luck; elderberries are on my list for next year.

• nightingalemom
    16 years ago

Fedco is a great source; I've always been pleased with orders from them. Another place I've ordered from in the past is St. Lawrence Nurseries in upstate NY. I think they carry a few more varieties than Fedco. Don't know the URL off the top of my head, but it will come up with Google.

Elderberries are on my wishlist for the spring, too! :o)

• shellva
    16 years ago

Stark Brothers carry them as well. I think I paid $24.95 for 2 plants. The plants were about 2 or 3 ft tall if I remember correctly.

• alabamanicole
    16 years ago

The York and Nova elderberry plants I received from Stark were 4" tall, so don't get your hopes up. (They also lasted a whopping 2 weeks; I didn't even get to transplant them.)

• sandsquid
    16 years ago

In a few weeks I may have some rooted cuttings to swap.
    They are sprouting fine but I have not checked the roots, yet.

Adams, Nova,York, and John's

(The Wyldewood #1 are still too "precious" to ship off this year.)

Would like other Elderberry varieties or Black, Red, and White Currants, in trade.

• decolady01
    16 years ago

I'm curious. How are named varieties of elderberries better than the native ones that grow wild? We have them growing all over at the farm and I get more elderberries than I can use. We also use the flowers to make elderflower fritters. Now I haven't tried making wine. Maybe I should put that on this year's agenda.

some elderflowers from last year
    {{gwi:670846}}

Becky

• lovelycherry
    16 years ago

Taste is the difference.

• darlene87
    16 years ago

Raintree nursery has them along with a lot of other berry plants. I have ordered from them, and the service is great.
    http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=ELDER

darlene

• billcolq
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I can get you nice, productive elderberry plants. Quite a canoe ride to get them, but . . . Do you have anything to trade? I'm mainly interested in edibles, maybe paw paws, dewberries, etc.
    BC08@localnet.com

• Audrey
    15 years ago

One Green World carries 11 varieties of elderberry @ $16.95 each. Hartmann's Plant Company has three vaieties for around $6.

• djofnelson
    15 years ago

Burnt Ridge Nursery still has York and Nova. Both their regular ($6.50) and large plants ($10) are very substantial for the money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

There are MANY varieties availible from National Clonal Germplasm Repository - Corvallis OR. All, only for the cost of shipping!

The only drawback is they only ship once per year usually in FEB or MAR, and they run out quickly, so you may want to get on the list ASAP.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR-Corvallis Sambucus Catalog

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

They also have LOTS more varieties availbe as seeds, but they require cold stratification to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sambucus Seed Accessions - NCGR-Corvallis Sambucus Catalog

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I would HIGHLY reccomend the 'Wyldewood #1'... of all my cuttings recieved in trades (50+/- of 10 varieties) this year they were the ONLY ones to survive.

I recieved them from a 'private party'.

Meanwhile I have come to find that in an ongoing Research Project(Genotype X Environment Interaction in Elderberry (Sambucus SP.) Cultivars and Selections Grown in Oregon and Missouri) by the US Dept. of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service

URL : http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/projects/projects.htm?ACCN_NO=409276&fy=2006

in the year 2006 they had to say:

'More than 500 elderberry plants were propagated, grown, and evaluated for these studies. ' ...

... 'Two cultivars, ÂGordon BÂ and ÂWyldewood 1Â have performed so well in our trials that we are currently negotiating with their owners to publish and release the cultivars to the public. '

and in the 2007 update to the study:

'Two outstanding elderberry cultivars (ÂGordon and ÂWyldewoodÂ) are in the process of being published and 'released' to the public. Our study confirmed the exceptional productivity of these two cultivars and provides the basis for their release. '

Check out WyldewoodCellars.com Their prices are VERY reasonable and the Wyldewood #1 is an awesome plant !

Here is a link that might be useful: Wyldewood Cellars.com

• trinitysthunders
    10 years ago

try agresourceincmn.com. they are an absolutely incredible company to buy from. they have 4 different varities like wyldewood, bob jones, etc. for 3.00 each.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

trinity,
    Your spelling of the company may be wrong.I tried linking to it but no success. Brady

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio