Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape vine

Posted by natalie4b 7 Atlanta GA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 20:17

I have purchased a grape vine to plant by the house, and my question is this: What kind of support will it need, and how do I trim it when nessesary? Will it hurt the exterior of my house (siding and brick)?
Thanks!
Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape vine

There are several ways to prune a grape for ornamental purposes. The standard trellis for grape production is large (8 feet wide) so you may want to prune it more tree form.

Check with your state's extension service for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: GA extension service

o

Great information. Thank you rain1950!

~Natalie~

o

Get some straight wire and wrap it in a spiral around something round (like a shovel handle) that it can be slid off of. Alternatively, use a single strand of chain link fence wire and stretch it a bit longer. Fasten the wire at the highest point you want the grapes to grow using a masonry screw (available at the big box home stores). This won't require a hammer drill in red brick. Also fasten about every 3-4 feet down. As the grape grows wind the shoot into the spiral. You can also make lateral supports the same way. This method allows exact placement of vines near windows. In the summer they shade the window and in the winter the canes are pruned to two buds and are not visible from inside.

o

sandylighthouse, it sounds easy enough and smart. I have never planted any vines like that before, so everything is new for me.
Thanks a bunch!
~Natalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here