Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pecans vs. hickories

Posted by rolf_jacobs 7, GA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 23:03

This is probably a really dumb question and something you would expect out of a Northener but what is the difference between a pecan and a hickory? I am supposed to do some commercial landscaping in Madison, GA, for some friends and they want pecans for the residents of their mobile home community to enjoy. However, I keep getting info on hickories. Are these the same tree? If so, why is one type called a pecan and another a hickory?

The trees are going out in a field all by themselves so there is not problem with litter or size or falling branches. I just want something that comes into production ASAP and can live without irrigation after the first 2 or 3 years.

Thanks.

Rolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pecans vs. hickories

Well, technically, all pecans are hickories, but not all hickories are pecans by any means. All species of hickory are in the genus Carya. Pecans are Carya illinoinensis.

Culinarily, by convention, oblong/cylindrical nuts with dark shells are called Pecans, those more flattened with lighter shells are called hickories. Pecans are much easier to shell than hickories such as shagbark and shellbark, but the nuts of both are very tasty. I'm sure that pecans are what you want.

o

Grafted specimens will come into production in about half the time(or less) that you'll be waiting for seedlings to grow through their juvenile period and reach bearing age.
For pecans, that will translate to 5-10 years or so before they start bearing a few nuts, as opposed to 12-20 years for a seedling pecan to begin bearing.
Hickories - even slower. I've got grafted hickories that have been in place for nearly 15 years, and still no blooms or nuts.
By and large, pecans will be more productive than hickories - but the hickory flavor is superior to that of pecan.
Heck; plant some of both, if you've got space for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery

o

It's hard to describe the taste difference, but to me the pecans have a low rich flavor, the hickories have a higher intense flavor. Pecans are muich easier to shell than hickories. I used to gather hickory nuts for my gramma in Upstate NY. They were so much work that she used them only in frosting for a plain yelow cake. It was superb! The ground nut frosting was incredibly flavorful.

o

Songbird:

I kind of wondered about the taste difference. I thought there might be one and now I may plant a hickory or two in addition to the pecans.

Speaking of taste, do you have this recipe you mention or can you possibly re-create it from memory? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to try it.

Rolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here