Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crabapple advice sought

Posted by kiwi_ellymay New Zealand (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 7:48

I am seeking an ornamental crabapple that will also provide nice fruit for eating/cooking. I have heard that some are even nice enough to eat fresh. I would ideally like to do more than just make jelly with them.

I would love some suggestions.

I am particularly seeking:
-A spreading habit to screen neighbour's garage (up to 4 metres)
-white flowers -or maybe red
-beautiful red fruits that will hang on for winter interest
-Good eating qualities

The varieties I have seen available locally here in New Zealand include Jelly King, Profusion, Wright's Scarlett and Jack Humm. Can anyone comment on these?

Also, if a variety is listed as being unpopular with the birds (i.e. Jack Humm), does that mean it is less palatable for humans?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crabapple advice sought

If you can find 'Callaway', it is an ornamental crab selection with good foliar disease resistance - and heavy production of large(for an ornamental crab) fruits ~1.5", with very good flavor. It is a favorite for eating out-of-hand in my family.
Due to its heavy fruit production, it eventually assumes a semi-weeping character.
There are a number of superior 'edible' crab varieties - Chestnut, Kerr, Centennial, Wickson, Trailman, Whitney are top-flight. These all have fruits in the 2-2.5" inch range, with extremely tasty fruit.

o
RE: crabapple advice sought

if you are looking for crab apples with good taste i would look at greenmantle nursery they have a collection of albert etter apples and crabapples he was a breeder of a lot of great apples. i dont think you will find a better crab apple. http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/etter-apples.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: crabapples

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here