Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting a runner that has already been cut

Posted by thegreens72 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 13:49

I am receiving a set of strawberry runners from the germplasm in Oregon. They are not rooted...just simply the runners. How do I successfully root these runners that are no longer attached to the mother plant? I received some runners the same way a while ago and did not succeed in rooting them...much to my dismay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting a runner that has already been cut

I have rooted a lot of my strawberries from runners, and they are basically weeds, they will root quite easily. If yours have failed to root, I can think of a couple of things that may have happened..they might have dried out..you must keep them moist at all times, and placing some sort of humidity dome over the top of them(soda bottle or milk jug with the bottom cut off)will help. Another thing that may have happened is if you tried to root them in full sun..the sun will fry them..try rooting them in dappled shade, then transplanting them after they have rooted.
It would help if you told us how you tried to root your last batch, then we can maybe help you more. Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here