Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegangirl_gw

Burdock

vegangirl
16 years ago

I have seen in old (1980's) edible plant books that burdock is edible and tasty. Is it still considered edible? I have this vague idea that I heard somemthing about it being a cause of stomach cancer in Japan, or am I confused?

We have so much burdock on our property that I would like to eat it if it's safe. Has anybody on GW eaten it? Do you know about the safety of it?

Comments (8)

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't tried it myself, but here is some info and some recipes:

Dig up roots after the first years growing season, before it goes to seed in its second year, then dry for future use. Take leaves and fruits of second year plants in summer when mature.

The Asian variety ÂGobo is the best for culinary purposes. Shoots and roots can be simmered, then stirfried. Young leaves can be cooked as greens. Roots may be grated raw into salads.

Medicinal Uses: Roots are used to treat colds and flu, gout, measles, vertigo, hives, urinary tract infections, constipation, leprosy, dandruff, burns, ulcers, eczema, and are an effective detoxifier. It contains mild anti-cancer agents. If stung by stinging nettles, rub on the juice of a leaf of Burdock. A poultice of crushed leaves will ease sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis, aches and bruises. An infusion of the leaves has a sedative effect. Seeds are used to treat fever, cough, swellings, mumps, skin diseases and carbuncles. Root contains insulin. Has been used in the treatment of AIDS patients.

Warning: Avoid medicinal doses when pregnant. Do not use if suffering from diarrhoea. The plant is similar in appearance to rhubarb and care should be taken when identifying, as rhubarb leaves are poisonous.

Burdock Flavoured Salad
    310g diced prosciutto or bacon
    2 lemons
    1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
    4-5 cloves garlic
    850g burdock root
    1/3 cup olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop the garlic and parsley in large pieces. Mix them in a bowl with the oil and lemon. Add the Burdock and leave everything to marinate for about half an hour. Add the prosciutto, season to taste, mix and serve.

Burdock Root Dessert
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    450g tin pineapple pieces
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    2 cups burdock roots, cut into rounds

Cook the burdock roots until tender. Melt butter in a frypan over low heat, add brown sugar and lemon juice, stir. Combine 1/2 cup of the juice from the pineapples with the cornflour until smooth, add to the butter mixture, stirring constantly over low heat until mixture thickens and boils. Add burdock roots and pineapple pieces and heat through.

Burdock Spread
    1/2 cup burdock root, finely cut
    1/8 cup yellow dock root, finely cut
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sour cream or yoghurt

Simmer roots in the vinegar for about 5 minutes. Process in a blender, then add the cream or yoghurt. Serve on potatoes or other vegetable dishes.

##Slice Burdock root, place into a baking dish, dot with butter. Just cover with apple cider and bake until tender.

Burdock Bloom Stalk Bake
    4 cups cooked burdock bloom stalk rounds (see below)
    1 cup parmesan cheese
    2/3 cup breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    paprika

Collect at least a dozen burdock bloom stalks (the main central stalk that will eventually support the flowering side branches).Collect them when about 30-60cm high and still in the process of growing taller. Cut them as close to the ground as you can, then strip off any attached large leaves and leaf stalks. Cut off the cluster of leaves at the top of the stalk as well. Peel or cut off the outer rind, which tends to be stringy and bitter. Then chop the peeled bloom stalks into rounds about 1cm thick. Drop the bloom stalks into an ample supply of boiling salted water and boil until tender, 10-15 minutes. Remove and drain. Add the rest of the ingredients to 4 cups of the boiled bloom stalks and combine well. Spread in a pie pan or flat baking dish and sprinkle paprika over the top. Bake at 180°C until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve hot with crackers.

• infiniteohms
    16 years ago

I have eaten burdock a few times, its not incredible, but its good and its supposed to be very good for you. Just watch out for huge old roots, while they are fine for tea they have a texture resembling punky wood.

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks folks!! I lost track of this post. I appreciate the replies and the recipes. I may try to make good use of this plant. It is abundant on our property.
    VG

• rita_from_mo
    16 years ago

Hey VG is there any way that I can get you to dig me up some roots(when weather will let you ) and send them to me?e-mail me if you can.
    THANKS
    Rita

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rita, I just found this post again! I would be interested in a trade! What do you have to trade? I could send smaller burdock plants because the big ones have HUGE roots.
    VG

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

For those of you still interested in burdock recipes, my favorite use of it is a Japanese dish called kinpira gobou. Although mine will never taste like my mom's (she is Japanese) the basic recipe is fairly straightforward and has a lot of leeway for individual tastes.

1 cup julienned burdock root (1" long)
    1/2 cup julienned carrot (1" long)
    ~2 tablespoons soy sauce
    ~2 tablespoons mirin (or rice wine vinegar with 1 tsp sugar added)
    ~1/2 tbsp sugar
    Splash of sake
    ~1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
    Red pepper flakes
    Sesame seeds
    (the ingredients with ~ can be adjusted to taste-- some like theirs saltier, sweeter, or more vinegar-tasting)

Soak the burdock root matchsticks in cold water for about 15 minutes to help cut the bitterness, then drain. Heat up soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar on medium high heat. Just as it begins to boil, add burdock root and carrots and stir fry for a few seconds. Cover and simmer on medium heat until tender and most of the liquid evaporates. Drizzle on oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes, toss to coat. For a spicier taste, add the red pepper flakes while the kinpira gobou is simmmering.

Serve hot or cold, as a side dish to an Asian meal or use as a filling for sushi rolls (it goes great with eggs, cucumber, daikon pickles, and Korean-style barbecue).

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing your favorite burdock recipe with us! I'm going to try these these recipes this spring.

• vegangirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received an email from a GW poster with a suggestion for preparing burdock stems. Thank you! Here is a copy of part of the email:
    "Collect the stems from young-ish leaves. Preferably before they have too much purple in them although older stems are still ok as long as they are not too pithy/stringy yet. Next, rinse them off and parboil them in baking soda for about 5 minutes. Next, drain the stems and drop them in flour and then egg (or what you use for an egg substitute) then saute similar to a tempura. I think it is fantastic with soy sauce and rice wine vinegar although I have heard it is a traditional Italian dish. You really must try this."

I think Ill try this. it sounds good:)
    VG

Sponsored