Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love Lies Bleeding Edible??? What To Know 4 Sure B4 Eating

Posted by dethcheez Sunny SoCal %7E Z10 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 18:57

Hi

Never knew that Love Lies Bleeding was an "Edible" plant till I just saw it listed as one on a trade list I got

I did look it up

Just want to make sure I have the right plant & that it "IS Truly Edible" before I start munching on some leaves / LOL

Link To Pics~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/581882482PbdJXo

If it is
Anyone have any good recipes tips for cooking etc..

Thank & Happy Growing
Eric

PS~ I'm Trusting You Guys NOT To poison Me

Here is a link that might be useful: LLB Pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love Lies Bleeding Edible??? What To Know 4 Sure B4 Eating

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 20:37

This is a vegetable in some gardens.
We pulled the wild ones out of the garden 30 years ago.
Father called it hog weed.

o

I usually cook the leaves only, with sliced onions.
Collect a bing bowl full of leaves, if the leaves are big then chop them coarsly. Chop 1 onion into thin slices. Heat 1-2 tbs of oil in awok or a 12 inch pan. Once it is hot add a generous pinch of cumin seeds, let them spluuter. Add onions and cok them on medium till golden brown. Add the leaves, mix them till all the leaves are wilted, season with salt.

o

Amaranthus is an incredible edible! I bought seeds this spring with the intention of planting in ground, but we were between houses, and I didn't get the time.

So a couple weeks ago, I noticed this huge leafy plant coming up next to our fence. We do have weedy poisonous nightshade volunteers, so I'm very cautious. This doesn't look like the nightshade weeds. It does resemble Amaranths, and there are so many varieties, I'm waiting for it to bloom to be sure! Their seeds are small and easily blown by the wind. Recent thunderstorms might have given them the boost they need.

Thanks for the recipe above! The leaves are large and probably too tough for salads.

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here