Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental sweet potatoes

Posted by jane8_25_47 z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 21:39

I just dumped pots of ornamental sweet potatoes and discovered I had :) potatoes in the pots. The chartruse-leafed one had red-skinned potatoes & the deep-cut leaved one had white-skinned potatoes. The question is, are these potatoes edible??? The plants make beautiful foliage plants, but I never had actual potatoes before. Could I somehow save one of each potato and start plants like you do with a regular sweetpotato??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental sweet potatoes

Jane, I was curious about the same thing, & I found an article that says ornamental sweet potatoes are edible. You can use the link to read the same article. I heard somewhere that you can get new plants from the old but I don't recall the details. I wintered over mine in a pot in the house. Hope this article helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: ornamental sweet potato

o

Yes, it's extremely easy to propagate ornamental sweet potatoes from slips off the potato, or just from cuttings taken before you dump the plant. I've never grown a sweet potato that wouldn't root in water in no time flat - right now I have Margarita, Lady Finger, and a white-fleshed sweet potato grown from the cut-off end of one we bought last year for New Years (my husband is Japanese, and we have to have Kuri Kinton for New Years, among other foods).
FWIW, both Blackie and Margarita were selections that showed up among varieties being trialed for eating, according to Allan Armitage.

o

And all this time I was lead to believe they weren't edible. I've been composting them all along. So has anyone actually eaten them yet? If so, did you treat them as any other potatoe? According the link above the tricolored is also edible. trudyjean

o

I am a Horticulturist for a large garden here in Utah! When we dug up ours---we had hundreds of pounds of them---Yup--all went to the dinner tabble! And a few are in storage for next years crops! LOL! Crops(for me)--DIsplay(for others)!!!

Ryan

o

These ornamental sweet potatoes are unknown here french Riviera where they should thrive.
I would like to get some little roots. Any available? I will pay sending costs and may be exchange another plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here