Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Help: white wormy roots from this mint like plant

Posted by phalden z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 23:33

Anyone seen this before? It's supposedly medicinal. I took a small bite, chewed a little and spat it out. It's very crunchy but has no taste whatsoever.

The plant produces small purple flowers in clusters like a basil plant I vaguely recall. Too bad I didn't take a picture. I'll do that next year.

I love the roots but the plant is plain ugly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Help: white wormy roots from this mint like plant

kind of looks like lemon balm too me. Unless it's in a container I'd exterminate it immediately. It smells nice and looks nice, but is very aggressive and difficult to eradicate. Than again it could be something else, but that's what it looks like to me.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 15:04

look up the "crosne" threads currently in the Veg forum. Or google crosne. These are so difficult to find, you are lucky.

o

Thanks jeremyjs and especially glib. For your generosity and time, if either of you want some, I can spare a few roots. They are not mine, but I can ask nicely for some. Email me and I'll provide my address. I think $2 should cover the padded envelops and shipment.

Thank you so much!!

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 16:47

Given the nature of the plant, it is, IMHO, a fine vegetable for permaculture. But my yard is divided in heavily fortified, fully cultivated zones, and zones where permaculture has repeatedly failed (due to deer, mostly).
So I will pass, but thanks for the offer.

o

I would be very interested in some of these. My husband is diabetic and I'm always looking for something that he can eat that is low in carbs.

Peggy

o

HI Peggy,

You can buy them from this site. I purchase herbs and other interesting seeds from them.

It's 7.55 for a potted plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Herbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here