Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
groumi 'sweet scarlet'

Posted by fragrantgardener01 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 1:33

I am interested in the plant and would like to know if it's worth growing. If anyone here grows this, I would appreciate hearing about whether it tastes as good as the catalogs claim it.

I tasted a regular goumi berry once and didn't like the taste, too astringent and sour. But I was told that Goumi Sweet Scarlet is exceptionally good-tasting.

Thanks,
FG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: groumi 'sweet scarlet'

Hi FG

I purchased 3 of these from Shumway several years back. I thought I had read that the foliage turned a vivid red in autumn with Sweet Scarlet, but these bushes never change color at all. They have grown well, are very productive, but after several years I've decided to let the birds have them. Flavor is good, but they are very small berries with a very large seed inside. Only way to enjoy them at all is to toss a big handful into your mouth and mush them around to basically juice them. then you have to spit out a big seed wad which is not nice to do with an audience. I love munching from my garden, but these are too much work to eat.

I love my gooseberries tho!

Pam in cinti

o

Would you be willing to send some of those Goumi seeds my way?

Goumi is fairly rare among fruits in having a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. I believe it is also a nitrogen fixer, so even if it in't the most exciting fruit in your garden, it is adding fertility to the rest of the system.

o

The berries are quite small but tasty when fully ripe,interesting mostly as something to nibble on as you walk past,or to share.On the plus side you can grow them under a tree on the southern exposure and not use any additional space.

o

Still looking for goumi seeds if anybody has any. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here