Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
placebo_gw

Need kudzu vine

Placebo
9 years ago

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone who live near kudzu in us can send me some kudzu seeds, or better yet, some roots to grow, I bought some seeds before but they didn't grow.
I know that half of you are now screaming with horror.
The lowest tempeture here where I live is around 8-9 C in winter.
Wait to hear this, in summer it can reach 50C in mid day sometimes, despite that my city is in a semi-arid area and desert cities never have that high tempeture, it have to do with the city location and geology, my city is like a pot where hot air get stuck in there. But mostly it is around 35-38C in mid day at 12 to 2 pm, then starts to decline to 28-32C.
My garden still manage to thrive with regular watering and shading heat resistant medeterranian citrus tree and boguivillier (not sure how to type that).
I have a tiled court at the back of my house with only potted plants, I would like to plant some of it in there. It have no where to escape, unless it spreads by wind, which it don't.
The lablab vine if you ever heard of it, is similar to kudzu and can get invasive, but it's not a very fast grower.
My court is away of sight, no one will even see it to ask for seeds or grab some of it on their own, I won't give it to anyone either.
Even if it somehow managed to grow elsewhere, it will have nowhere to go, there isn't much bare soil in the city, it's mostly tiled with alot of trees around here and there.
I forgot to mention that it is a dry weather, our seasons became less and less wet.
Anyway, I want some kudzu vine seeds or roots.
Can anyone help me? I can pay for the shipping.
Thanks
Regards

Comments (10)

• Placebo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What if I plant it in a small pot, it will have limited resources, btu still a fast growth.
    The pot will be in a tiled court yard in my house, there's no soil or holes in there for the vine to escape to, it's also out of reach and sight for people who may want to grab some of it.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Kudzu is a horrifyingly invasive weed. It's also banned or listed as noxious in most states, so you might want to check to see if it's even legal where you live.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> We need ways to kill it all, not expand it's range

Kudzu is a subtropical plant controlled by aridity. Tunisia is Mediterranean desert, I think, not humid Georgia woods.

• Placebo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The north of Tunisia is wet (humid) and warm during the summer (inless you cinsider 9ðC warm, the tempeture doesnt differ between the areas in Tunisia, but precepitation and humidity does)
    The center of Tunisia is semi-arid, that's where I live (Kairouan), and it gets very hot in summer, and it's not very humid or wet, even in winter (it used to be more humid during the seasons other than the winter around here many years ago, it's global warming I guess)

The south of Tunisia is the sahara, a desert.

This is a map for the climate: http://www.hydriaproject.net/images/cases/tunisia_kerkouan/T2_map_climatic_of_tunisia.jpg
    And precepitation:
    http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Precipitation_Map_Tunisia.php

I guess it will be no problem to plant it here, but I'm still not going to take risks and going to keep it in a pot and isolated.

• Placebo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>>We need ways to kill it.
    I heard that excessive forage and continus removal of the plant that starts to appear on the ground adventually depleted the energy of the plant that is stored in the roots, as it's only ways to generate more is by photsynthesis wich will be blocked, it may need some years of work though.
    Or they can develop some kind of fungus or bacterial to take it down, they did that to rabbits in Australia and 90% of the population was gone, only the strongest and immune 10% survived.

• sahmjay
    9 years ago

this thing is highly invasive with no natural predators to keep it in check unlike its original environment. I don't recommend spreading something like this anywhere.

• sharon's florida
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Kudzu is the absolute worst invasive plant that I've had to deal with. You must be insane to want to grow and spread this stuff. This stuff make air potato look like marigolds. You really need to google some images of all manner of things being overtaken by this awful plant ... forests ... homes. .. cars. ..you name it. You need to read about the poor people who cannot get rid of it and their experiences, and suffering, while trying to and failing for years. This plant can't be chopped down, poisoned, dug up, etc. The stalks turn into rope when you try to chop them ... the plant laughs at poison and each leaf node sends down a root that can't be dug out. I had an acre of it and I would have needed an army to get rid of it. Good Lord you must be able to find another forage plant that is not as evil as kudzu. It makes me sick to the stomach, and see red, every time I start reading another forum and you're there asking for kudzu.

• sunidayze
    7 years ago

I've never heard of anyone asking for kudzu. Here we have to cut it back from the road in the summer just to keep the road passable. I have to say though when it's blooming, it has the most wonderful scent. Unfortunately it's killed everything on the other side of the road and even pulls down small trees. The vines are that strong. It's very humid here. I don't know how it would react to a dry climate.

• sunidayze
    7 years ago

>>>We need ways to kill it

Goats do a great job of keeping it in check. They love the stuff and eat almost as fast as kudzu grows.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!