Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francis_eric

As many different Edible's that are tasty

francis_eric
18 years ago

Hi this is my first post on this particular form.I was wondering If some of you could help me pick out some Edible plants, Im a wine maker and enjoy tea And trying to find some not so common edibles like flowers, wild plants,even some different berries,and fruits I might not know about.So please post some links or pictures If that is alowed.Some of the only information I have is from wild man Steves web page and jackkeller.net

I think I should add that Im from Illinois and respect nature so I don't want to grow anything invasive, but If you know of somewhere I can order certain dryed ingr. of invasive plants that wont be a problem.

Thanks allready I've learned from some of your posts even though I havent had the time to read alot most of them yet.

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Methinks you need to get your hands on a copy of CORNUCOPIA II (or a subsequent edition, if there is one) by S. Facciola (1998, Kampong Publications).

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

pfaf.org talks about various edible plants.

• chills71
    18 years ago

Go to One Green World's website and have a catalog sent to you.

Other good nurseries....raintree burnt ridge nursery and edible landscaping

~Chils

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

pfaf.org is no longer viable. Haven't paid the fees to their server. Also may have gone bancrupt as a permaculture-related enterprise.

• francis_eric
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi thanks for all your posts I like that pfaf.org web site, and they are still their I was just their less than a hour ago.They have alot of plants, but I haven't found any pictures, but that doen't matter for the plants that I would Be buying. Just for the wild ones.

When I typed it into google it did not show, but when I did a advanced search it appered.

Might as well post some of web pages I found www.foragingpictures.com/ www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ www.hortpurdue.edu/

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Thank you Francis for the links. Wonderful! I've emailed myself to my work to remind myself to include one of Wildman Steve's tours on my trip to NY when I go visit my sister.

Rose

• murkey
    16 years ago

My Mom always grew Jerusalem Artichokes. The flowers are beautiful and the tubers can be harvested even in the winter, they are actually better left in the ground with a mulch cover. They are hardy and multiply like crazy.

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

currants, goose, and elderberries. Paw paws, kiwi, hardy kiwi, others.

Chills is right, Burnt Ridge Nursery, is a good resource.

-Ethan

• francis_eric
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is A old post, but I have to say I am very happy IKz5ia posted that link.

Maybe good for another thread, but Around 10 years ago I read in high school, brain power,improved memory fills you when you drink Ginko tea, I say I needed it I mean need it, SO I tried with a Good Friend JOSH(RIP) brew a gallons since I have a ginko in my yard I tasted good, and made me feel good-------(twice I did)(also made me feel with no worries In life one time like a kid again I drank very alot), ______________________________long after That I was on here, and found this link .

YOu have changed my life THanks very much.
    To the other person that posted a link Thanks also I didn't look yet I was busy, but I appieciate your help, alot.

when you Drink about 7 glasses of bitter de cafe tea(Or not decafe) a day, and you know you don't have to count on store bought tea with cafine it feels good you can harvest it youself(curled dock )rumex crispus(just boil)
    (I even brew up OAk, leaf, birch flower tasted like lemon aid no sugar added ate pepperweed pinapple weed japenese maple leaves are great also(they are like potent --crisp-- mulberry(not jammy tasting)
    many others
    Or if you get blood poisoning, and get the cold chills, and keep waking up soaked in sweet, while freezing it's good to know you can at least try, somthing, and find out to drink a tsp. or 2 of cayanne pepper, in hot water, and it's instanly gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants For a Future

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

yeah, I love that site. Things that I've learned is amazing.

• etcite
    16 years ago

It's getting close to time to harvest jerusalem artichokes, after the first freeze, not sure if you're there yet in your part of the country.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild food, teas, wines for foragers

Sponsored