Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
As many different Edible's that are tasty

Posted by Francis_Eric 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 9:40

Hi this is my first post on this particular form.I was wondering If some of you could help me pick out some Edible plants, Im a wine maker and enjoy tea And trying to find some not so common edibles like flowers, wild plants,even some different berries,and fruits I might not know about.So please post some links or pictures If that is alowed.Some of the only information I have is from wild man Steves web page and jackkeller.net

I think I should add that Im from Illinois and respect nature so I don't want to grow anything invasive, but If you know of somewhere I can order certain dryed ingr. of invasive plants that wont be a problem.

Thanks allready I've learned from some of your posts even though I havent had the time to read alot most of them yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: As many different Edible's that are tasty

• Posted by BBoy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 19:12

Methinks you need to get your hands on a copy of CORNUCOPIA II (or a subsequent edition, if there is one) by S. Facciola (1998, Kampong Publications).

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 19:31

pfaf.org talks about various edible plants.

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 15:49

Go to One Green World's website and have a catalog sent to you.

Other good nurseries....raintree burnt ridge nursery and edible landscaping

~Chils

o

pfaf.org is no longer viable. Haven't paid the fees to their server. Also may have gone bancrupt as a permaculture-related enterprise.

o

Hi thanks for all your posts I like that pfaf.org web site, and they are still their I was just their less than a hour ago.They have alot of plants, but I haven't found any pictures, but that doen't matter for the plants that I would Be buying. Just for the wild ones.

When I typed it into google it did not show, but when I did a advanced search it appered.

Might as well post some of web pages I found www.foragingpictures.com/ www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ www.hortpurdue.edu/

o

Thank you Francis for the links. Wonderful! I've emailed myself to my work to remind myself to include one of Wildman Steve's tours on my trip to NY when I go visit my sister.

Rose

o

My Mom always grew Jerusalem Artichokes. The flowers are beautiful and the tubers can be harvested even in the winter, they are actually better left in the ground with a mulch cover. They are hardy and multiply like crazy.

o

currants, goose, and elderberries. Paw paws, kiwi, hardy kiwi, others.

Chills is right, Burnt Ridge Nursery, is a good resource.

-Ethan

o

This is A old post, but I have to say I am very happy IKz5ia posted that link.

Maybe good for another thread, but Around 10 years ago I read in high school, brain power,improved memory fills you when you drink Ginko tea, I say I needed it I mean need it, SO I tried with a Good Friend JOSH(RIP) brew a gallons since I have a ginko in my yard I tasted good, and made me feel good-------(twice I did)(also made me feel with no worries In life one time like a kid again I drank very alot), ______________________________long after That I was on here, and found this link .

YOu have changed my life THanks very much.
To the other person that posted a link Thanks also I didn't look yet I was busy, but I appieciate your help, alot.

when you Drink about 7 glasses of bitter de cafe tea(Or not decafe) a day, and you know you don't have to count on store bought tea with cafine it feels good you can harvest it youself(curled dock )rumex crispus(just boil)
(I even brew up OAk, leaf, birch flower tasted like lemon aid no sugar added ate pepperweed pinapple weed japenese maple leaves are great also(they are like potent --crisp-- mulberry(not jammy tasting)
many others
Or if you get blood poisoning, and get the cold chills, and keep waking up soaked in sweet, while freezing it's good to know you can at least try, somthing, and find out to drink a tsp. or 2 of cayanne pepper, in hot water, and it's instanly gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants For a Future

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 0:24

yeah, I love that site. Things that I've learned is amazing.

o

It's getting close to time to harvest jerusalem artichokes, after the first freeze, not sure if you're there yet in your part of the country.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild food, teas, wines for foragers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here