Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerryii_gw

Loquat Trees In So. CA

jerryii
19 years ago

I would like to plant a Loquat Tree in my yard in San Bernardino County, CA.

What would be the best variety and how best to maintain it? I love Loquats!

Where in this area can I obtain a good tree?

Comments (5)

• ashok_ncal
    19 years ago

Jerry,

I've tasted relatively few loquats. However, I've had some recent discussions with a gentleman who is wild about loquats and has tasted many of the named cultivars. He says that "Strawberry" is his favorite, and he is also excited about a type called "Vista White". "Strawberry" was originated in either New Zealand or Australia, "Vista White" in San Diego county.

Both of these types are rather rare -- you would have to obtain them from specialty growers/nurseries in the Southern California area. Check the California Rare Fruit Growers web-site (www.crfg.org), under "member nurseries". Some of these sources sell plants via mail order; most would probably be (relatively) close to you in any case.

LaVerne Nursery propagates and distributes several of the most common loquat cultivars -- "Gold Nugget", "Champagne", etc. You will most likely be able to buy one of these plants from any good nursery and possibly even some "big box" stores. If none have plants in stock, I believe that you could easily special order one. These commonly available cultivars would be solid choices as well.

As for how to maintain it: just plant it and let it go. Loquats are basically problem-free trees. I have heard that they can be susceptible to fireblight, but that's the only issue I can think of. They really don't need pruning, unless you want to control the size of your plant.

• jerryii
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ashok
    Thanks for the information, I will look up Ca Rare Fruit Growers and see if they have these items.
    Thanks so much.

• ashok_ncal
    19 years ago

Jerry,

CRFG is an association of backyard growers, not nursery professionals -- they don't sell plants, but can provide information on where certain rare plants can be purchased. But, as I said, you'll probably find the LaVerne nursery propagated plants at any well stocked nursery.

Good luck! Although loquats can be grown throughout much of the state, some say that only in Southern California, with its warm winter/spring temperatures, can loquats be grown to perfection. So it is definately a good fruit for you to try.

• shawn_2006
    17 years ago

I live in Southern California. The raining season here is from January through May. Last December, I bought a 24" box Loquat tree with fruit on it. Just recently noticed that all the leaves are wilted and burned on the edges. Even the new leaf sprouts look the same. Can anyone tell me the possible cause? Is it too much watering or too little?

• nunk
    17 years ago

I would love some more advice/info from anyone regarding the loquat since I just planted one yesterday. I can't wait for it to produce since I love the taste. How long does it take before we will see fruit? Any idea how it will hold up in the Santa Anas this year? It's a 5 gallon with such a thin trunk!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored