Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help me.

Posted by forestelves 6 KS (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 12:42

Bizarre foods has made me relook over whether or not 'Basjoo' musa fruits are edible, because what he is eating in other countries isnt eaten in Americans because its consider DOG FOOD or PLAIN SICK in our country because its poor mans food and some of the foods he eats comes from poisonous plants and animals. Plus, I havent seen anything he has eaten beside raw privet parts of an animal that I wouldnt like to try.
Are the flowers and leaves of the 'Basjoo' musa usable for cooking?

Plus how come plantains are consider edible and the 'Basjoo' musa plants fruits are not.
Plus in order for plantains to be edible they must be cooked like taro roots and leaves.
Plus taro roots are poisonous but they are eaten anyway so how come I cant use the 'Basjoo' musa fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help me.

I'm assuming you mean Musa basjoo.
I don't know why the fruit is considered inedible, maybe it just doesn't taste that good.
I would definitely think you could use the leaves in cooking.
Hope someone gives you a more certain answer. I'd like to know too!
Barb

o
RE: Can someone help me.

• Posted by chills Zone 6b Mi (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 19:51

from what I've read (not that my basjoo has fruited), the fruit of Musa Basjoo is very fibrous. it is considered inedible because our teeth are not equipped to eat something as fibrous as the fruit of basjoo.

Whether cooking or another process can be done to increase the edibility of the fruit, I cannot say.

~Chills

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here