Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Help with pomegranates

rcnaylor
19 years ago

I love'em, but, the problem is I live in zone 6b. I found, thanks to a link on this board, some Russian pomegranates that are supposed to be OK to maybe zone 7. I'm right on the line of 7a.

So, my question is, would building a stone well (like a flowerbed border maybe 18 inches high with an apron on the outside) maybe provide enough thermal warming to keep them going, the roots at least, most winters? Bad idea? Worth the effort? I have heard people say to plant them in protected areas, but I don't really have any place that would be protected that is still a sunny area.

I don't mind going to some trouble to try to make them work outside here, just wonder what might work, if anything?

Comments (8)

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

rc,
    I can't speak for the Russians, but I've got three of the old standby, Wonderful, growing at my parents' farm in east-central AL, right on the zone 7/8 interface, and one of the three is in an exposed site, whereas the other two are somewhat sheltered by the house and a big mature magnolia.
    The exposed pomegranate regularly takes a major winter-kill hit, is maybe 1/4 the size of the other two, and has never fruited, though the two larger plants have borne heavily almost every year for the past 20 years or more.
    I have my doubts about them being able to handle zone 6/7 winter conditions, but with some protection, and maybe wrapping, etc., like a fig, you *might* be able to make them work.

• chills71
    19 years ago

ok, you can't hint about a link on the page without at least giving information for the rest of us to follow to try and find the same kind of information.

Though I doubt I will ever be able to grow pomegranites here.

~Chills

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is the site. I lost the thread on the forum that gave it to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian pom seller site

• bonsaist
    19 years ago

I grow pomegranates in containers in zone 6... you can't plant them outdoors for sure they will die.. I keep them in an unheated Garage, and some I keep in a greenhouse. Make sure to use a container 15 galon or larger.
    I've heard from a nursery man that there's a pomegranate growing in Philadelphia.. which is zone 6b. Haven't seen it I would love to get cuttings from that.
    Bass

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for a good idea Bonsiaist. Don't have a lot of room inside in the winter, but, I like those poms, so where there is a will there is a way.

• kumquat12
    19 years ago

I want a pomegranate. My friend transplanted one from Jay, Florida to Howard's Creek, and it flowers, but does not make fruit. Does it need a pollinator? I need to know because I am looking to get one for our yard soon. I plan to go to a nursery for mine. Thanks for all your help.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Can't profess to be much of an expert (my zone 6 weather kille the only two I planted), but, I have studied them some on the internet. Here is what I found on a website about whether pomegranates need another one to make fruit.

The pomegranate is self-pollinated as well as cross-pollinated by insects. Cross-pollination increases the fruit set. Wind pollination is insignificant.

So, another one might help, but should not be essential. There are some variites that are for flowering only. Also, if they don't get the amount of heat they like, they may not make fruit (as I understand it). Sometimes not making fruit for any plant can be affected by its location (not getting enough sun, too wet, etc.)

Hope this helps a little and good luck getting some of those great tasting poms to eat!

• koachmarty_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i have apomagrnate in a 12 gallon pot that has one fruit set. it is very root bound. can it be trans-planted with out stopping the fruit from matureing? re spond quickly please.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21