Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planning first edible landscape and draining question?

Posted by kelisk8s 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 14:25

Hi,
I just moved to a new home that has a very sunny yard! I am trying to plan out an edible garden for my space. I am used to growing things in pots at previous apartments over the years, so I have experience with that, but I need help addressing a water issue that I'm not sure how to deal with. We are the second house from the bottom of a hill. The house at the bottom of the hill (our neighbors) backfilled their property. So now all the water from the surrounding areas end up in our yard and basement. I am planning on putting in raised garden beds on the side of the house that is uphill to us. This is the area that gets the most sun and also ends up receiving the water run off from the hill first. I would like to put some of this water that is sitting in our yard and running into our basement to good use because it seems really wasteful for all this water to be pumped out of our basement into the street all the time. Gardens require a lot of water, so I am hoping with some edibles the roots will be deeper and help fix this problem. Are there any particularly thirsty edibles that could help? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about how to deal with this situation? Does anyone know how high I would have to build raised beds to prevent plants from getting water logged?
Thanks a bunch!
Kelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planning first edible landscape and draining question?

My first question is of course, where are you located? I would probably deal very differently with the water issue depending on the climate... but, here are some guesses at useful info...

Sounds like a water storage tank might be nice to pump into during flooding, and then use when the weather's dry. It could double as rainwater catchment storage from the roof as well.

In terms of runoff -- it has to be diverted (possibly to a series of tiered mulched basins planted with edibles) before it causes a problem in your garage. Any unwanted ponding has to be dealt with by improving the drainage capacity of the area. Water thirsty trees such as willows will suck up ponded water, but I doubt edibles have deep enough roots to help much where it's really problematic.

I don't know any formula for how high to make raised beds when drainage is an issue, but most garden vegetables only use the top 6 inches or so of soil, so the beds should not have to be much higher than that.

By the way, any of the permaculture related books, as well as rainwater harvesting literature (the best is Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands by Brad Lancaster) give countless ideas for controlling and using runoff wisely.

At least you have the benefits of a very sunny spot! Good luck...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here