Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Want to grow bread poppies..

Posted by BeesNeeds 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 15:05

I want to grow bread poppies. I use about a half pound to a pound of seed a year in various baked goods.

Can only opium poppies be grown for bread seed, or are there other kinds that can be used? I often see the terms Oriental, Corn, California, and I don't know if they are edible kinds or not.

How big of a patch is needed to get that much seed? I don't want to grow a giant patch that could get me in trouble just to make bagels and cakes a couple times a year.

How thick will they grow in? How invasive are they? I want to grow them as sort of a living fence that would be mowed back on one side, but allowed to wander into a wild grassy area on the other side.

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Want to grow bread poppies..

You need to grow Papaver somniferum. This is the species which produces the very large pods full of easily harvested seeds. There have been several discussions on growing these over the years. These are not the same as Oriental Poppies, Papaver orientale. Nor are they similar to Escholtzia californica, Californian Poppies, which are not the same genus.

They are not 'invasive' although they do self-seed, which is not at all the same thing. They are annuals and are unlikely to wander into a grassy areas they need cultivated earth to seed successfully.

Here are some shaggy double red ones on my allotment. I never sowed them - they just arrived. When they self sow they often come up single or different colours. Below the Papaver somniferum are some Papaver rhoeas, corn poppies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breadseed Poppy

o
RE: Help! Want to grow bread poppies..

Thanks for the link, very helpful :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here