Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Help! Want to grow bread poppies..

beesneeds
11 years ago

I want to grow bread poppies. I use about a half pound to a pound of seed a year in various baked goods.

Can only opium poppies be grown for bread seed, or are there other kinds that can be used? I often see the terms Oriental, Corn, California, and I don't know if they are edible kinds or not.

How big of a patch is needed to get that much seed? I don't want to grow a giant patch that could get me in trouble just to make bagels and cakes a couple times a year.

How thick will they grow in? How invasive are they? I want to grow them as sort of a living fence that would be mowed back on one side, but allowed to wander into a wild grassy area on the other side.

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Comments (2)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

You need to grow Papaver somniferum. This is the species which produces the very large pods full of easily harvested seeds. There have been several discussions on growing these over the years. These are not the same as Oriental Poppies, Papaver orientale. Nor are they similar to Escholtzia californica, Californian Poppies, which are not the same genus.

They are not 'invasive' although they do self-seed, which is not at all the same thing. They are annuals and are unlikely to wander into a grassy areas they need cultivated earth to seed successfully.

Here are some shaggy double red ones on my allotment. I never sowed them - they just arrived. When they self sow they often come up single or different colours. Below the Papaver somniferum are some Papaver rhoeas, corn poppies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breadseed Poppy

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, very helpful :)