Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chills71

edible mistakes??

chills71
19 years ago

Anyone else out there have something that sounded good that after waiting and trying that was just not worth the time or space?

I planted gooseberries (2) two years ago and waited until this year for fruit and was disappointed. Out they go to be replaced by something else.

This year I planted a few other unusual trial edibles. As it appears I will have the vacated gooseberry places to plant is there anything you recommend against?

~Chills

Comments (12)

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Honey Berries are not very useful, fruitful or showy in any way. I have a few here and never see any berries. The plants just take up space..

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

What are Honey Berries? I did a search and found nothing.

GG

• chills71
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I saw those in catalogs and decided they weren't worth the space after a little research.

Anyone regret growing Mulberries? (except for the staining, that is)

~Chills

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Related to Honey Suckle. They are common in Russia/Siberia. They have elongated fruits which are similar to a blueberry in appearance. You need both genders of bushes for them to produce fruits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miller- Honeyberry

• larry_gene
    19 years ago

Also this:
    inside scoop

Try searching "honeyberry" (all words)
    with "lonicera" OR "caerulea" (at least one of the words)
    in Google advanced search.

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

Probably you were growing green gooseberries. The Red Velvet ones taste good to me, anyway. I don't think white currants have much flavor. I haven't gotten any fruit yet from Hippophae rhamnoides, sea berry. I personally like mulberries, but my white berried one only had a couple of berries it's 4th year. I'm going to try a black mulberry this year. My serviceberry had fruit but after a few years got terrible rust on the berries, and I didn't think they were very tasty.

OTOH, I love all the blueberries, and keep planting more. They keep well and always taste good.

• belle_michele
    19 years ago

Nanking cherries....beautiful in bloom, relatively hardy, but the 'cherries' are sooooooooooooooooooo tiny...

I'm not sure if it would be worth trying to make sauce out of them, the pit is so large compared to the tiny amount of 'flesh'-though they really are sweet and tasty out of hand.

The birds love them, so it isn't a total loss.

• newyorkrita
    19 years ago

I agree with the folks who said Honeyberries. I planted two of these shrubs afew years ago and have gotten fruit but what a waste. The berries are few and don't have much flavor.

• Robert_in_MT
    19 years ago

serviceberry grow wild up here and most are full of rust and seedy. not worth eating except they ripen before huckleberries and grow without acid soil. If blueberries grow where you are at, they are much better tasting.
    Robert

• Dino_Tsapatsaris
    19 years ago

Actually gooseberries are a relative of the kiwi... I love my mulberry tree. I keep it squat and thick, under ten feet tall (it would grow that much in a season if I let it.) So I can reach all of the berries and it produces heavily. It's season is almost over here, unfortunatley.

• yuuwagirl
    15 years ago

Mulberries! I bought an "Illinois Everbearing" several years ago. What a mistake! It grew really, really fast and there are other trees around here just growing on the street that had much more delicious fruit! I got it cut down and Rounduped the roots so the stump wouldn't sucker. Of course, here in S. Indiana it pretty much comes up as a weed everyplace, so there was a lot of competition for the the watery, sometimes somewhat tasty berries.

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

We grow Hinonmaki Yellow gooseberries that are delicious when ripe and Achilles which is red. Both are excellent. Everyone who comes to our daylily nursery samples the gooseberries and the majority love them. We eat them right off the bush and have dehydrated them will success.

We also grow red and white currants. The white ones are good when ripe, off the bush but the red are a waste of space to me. They are very pretty. Red currents make good jelly I've heard but we don't do jelly so we just look at them or give them away. I don't think the birds even eat them!

I love serviceberries!!!

VG

Sponsored