Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldherb

Harvest, Oca & Crosnes

oldherb
19 years ago

The harvest of my Oca and crosnes was delayed a bit due to hernia surgery...I had three of them that needed repaired and figure I got them from digging all the boulders out of my veggie garden, but that was 2 weeks ago. At any rate I have decided the crosnes (Staychys affinis (S. seiboldii) are not really worth the trouble and a pain to sift out of the soil...I grew them in a whiskey barrel and spent about 3 hours sifting through the soil (I had to take my time due to I'm still healing)...Hope I got them all but I guess I won't know now until next year. From one plant I harvested about 2 cups of pure white bulbs that are not very flavorful but nice and crunchy. They would make interesting food to feed to the unsuspecting guest as they often look like insects...think white scorpion nymphs. I have a better opinion about the oca.

It was my first time growing oca(Oxalis tuberosa)and I love it! The tops are good in salads and the tubers are the most wonderful rose-red to creamy white color making them like jewels in the soil. Some were the size of small marbles and others were the size of baby spuds. Now to dry them and see what we end up with flavor-wise. I understand if they are sun-dried it reduces the oxalic acid in the tuber making them sweeter and better to stomach. I'm off to do more research on them...If any of you are experienced with Oca please E-mail me. I want get better at growing them. I ended up with only about 1.5 lbs from my little tiny tubers that I planted last spring...I have a ways to go.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths