Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydseeds

GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day)

sydseeds
18 years ago

Launching this now, because I'm getting email inquiries, and this gives us a conversation thread to do the planning and implementation.

Hoping for the same rules as usual;

1. Tailgater (meaning trading out of our vehicle trunks in a pre-determined empty parking lot)

2. No sales.

3. Pre-arranged trades ahead of time most welcome.

4. Any garden related living or inanimate object welcome at the trade (so not just seed packets and plants, but old tools, extra fertilizer, old garden books/magazines, compost, etc. - anything garden related actually is most welcome especially if you are new to these swaps and are just starting out but don't have alot of plants/perennials to divide up and swap/trade)

5. The ever popular 'swap circle' - which is the place we randomly place one (or 10) items in the cirlce which enables us to take one (or 10) items in exchange - this is the circle where you'll find things you never knew you wanted/needed).

6. Hoping to firm up the Markham location - the LCBO's are closed on that holiday so that location in the past has made a great location for us (Muttsfan will have to help me here with posting a map and directions).

7. Throwing up the swap date of:

Monday May 22nd - Victoria Day stat holiday (this is the same date we had for last years GTA east swap)

The following Sunday (May 29th) has typically been used for last years GTA west (Etobicoke) swap, so I chose the Victoria day Monday again for the central/east swap as I didn't want this swap date to land on the same day as the GTA West tailgater as some swappers want to attend both.

Pipe in here and I guess I better plant a few more WS flats to get lots of things on my swap list. Cheers! Sydseeds

Comments (138)

• nhoney4family
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

HI! Here is my trade list!

Asiatic lily -Blue eyes
    Indian Summer-Black eyed susan!( huge)
    Astible
    Lilac(unknown colour)
    Autumn Joy
    Mini Iris

Want list

Dk purple sedum
    Purple smoke bush
    Any Tall pern
    Burgandy plants

Ve e- if you want Shasta I would love some Rose of Sharon

• euphemia
    17 years ago

Just a reminder for myself - I will be bringing:

1. Portland canna lily root pieces for Sydseeds and Skraps;
    2. Yellow potted brug cutting for Amcorrigan; and
    3. Del Monte golden pineapple plant for Lana.

I suppose whatever else I bring can then go into the swap circle.

Sydseeds: I love surprises - thank you so much in advance!

Skraps: Thank you for the flowering kales. I would need instruction how to grow them too.

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao all,

I couldn't resist planting seeds yesterday in the cool, overcast weather. It's my favourite putting-in-the-garden weather and if I had things to transplant, I'd be doing that, too, but I didn't. Anyhow, I noticed that we have a boatload of yarrow volunteers if anyone is interested in those and also plenty of violets. The yarrow is either yellow or white, I'm not sure which, so if you're not picky, it's all yours.

nhoney- I would LOVE a lilac, thank you so much and I should have plenty of tomatoes and peppers for trade. I'm just not sure of the varieties at the moment. There are 9 flats in the garage and they're filled to the gills, which makes it hard to do inventory.

skraps- White Bleeding Hearts for Tomatillos and Basil sounds doable. I know I have at least one extra Tomatillo pair and you need 2 plants for pollination with those. I SHOULD have 3 extra Tomatillo pairs according to my germination records, so you and Muttsfan should be good to go.

nadia smiles- Sure, I can substitute the large-leafed poppy for the peppermint, not a problem. I'm not going to pot things up until Saturday with all this rain.

I'm so pleased so many of you want the everbearing golden raspberries. I've noticed several very healthy volunteers in my tomato bed and it's nice to know they won't end up at curbside.

I have a couple of perennial newbie questions. Is Rose of Sharon the same thing as a Hardy Hibiscus or is that another critter? Mine from last year is way tiny, is this normal? I'm wondering if I should ask for another one and if the one I got was abused by me, inadvertently.

I also got a couple Cannas from Peatpod I think last year and I cut them down to about 3" from the ground like the Peonies in Fall and they've done nothing so far. Was I supposed to dig them up and bring them in for the Winter?

Cheers,
    Julianna, perennially clueless in Toronto

• Anisten
    17 years ago

I am so looking forward to the swap and the "surprise, unspoken for circle" I will bring quite a few for that circle to add to the interest. I am looking forward to finding some hens and chicks(cobwebs or others) and maybe some interesting low sedums(silver?). I also look forward to getting some reading material in the form of old magazines. I am bringing some King Humbert Canna rhyzomes and like I sayd some surprises for the circle. Also I will provide the starter worm bin to the person who asked(don't know your call name).

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Nicole, could you please let me know if you got my e-mail?
    Thanks Marica

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Euphemia, please, check my trading list (updated and just posted) and let me know if there is anything I could give to you for pink brug.
    Mary Anne, I would love some of your astilbe and Sum and Substance Hosta if there is anything you would like to trade these for.

Thanks
    Marica

• euphemia
    17 years ago

Marica:

I am happy to bring you a frosty pink brug. If I give you one of a good size (3 ft.), could I please have a bit of your woodland spiderwort and a Jacob's ladder seedling? Or if you think I am too greedy, in which case I will just take a woodland spiderwort; or if you like, I can trade you a Portland Canna lily seedling for the Jacob's ladder seedling. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Euphemia

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao Jimmy-Jojo-

I've tried emailing you directly twice..once from California using my mother's email program and I thought it was a problem with her computer, but then I tried you again once I got home here with mine and still I'm having difficulty emailing you directly. Try emailing me from your end and see if that works and I'll reply to it once I get it.

Grazie,
    Julianna

• Anisten
    17 years ago

Ok I have figured out what I would really like and need. Margarite Daisy. The leaves on this daisy are spiky and not at all rounded like the shasta.

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any Cimicifuga aka Racemosa aka bugbane aka snakeroot that they want to trade?

Nadia

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Euphemia, thanks a lot. Wow, that big, 3 ft, I love it. Yes of course Ill give you woodland spiderwort and a Jacob's ladder seedling and whatever else you want that I have. I would also need some instructions on what to do with that beautiful brug, if you do not mind.
    Marica

• lanakolo
    17 years ago

My updated list did I miss anything?

sorelinna - I am getting some of your golden raspberry plants and one VERY sweet and tasty tomato plant (your choice). I am bringing you the lovage plant. Anything else?
    euphemia - I look forward to the Del Monte golden pineapple plant. What would you like from my trade list?
    sydseeds I have tagged for you a few yellow Canna chunks. Would you like some red Canna also? I am going to get the scarlet runner vine and strawberries from you.
    nadia_smiles I look forward for the maple tree, and YES, you are absolutely right, I promised you some Polygonum Orientale seeds. . I will also bring you the lovage plant. All that is going to happen at GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day) as I probably wont be able to make it to the one in the West
    skraps Ill have the yellow Cannas and the lovage plant for you. I am getting some of your bleeding hearts (white and pink).
    ve_e - I am interested in the cedar seedlings. Are they still available? What would you like from my trade list?

I also have quite a few plastic pots and lots of Dahlias. They are beautifull, and I do have too many... Anybody interested?

Please check my trade list:
    http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/lanakolo
    Lana

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lanakolo: The yellow canna's are great in exchange for the strawberries & scarlet runners

Anisten: Can I get some of your King Humber Canna for some of my hens & chicks? I've got lots of gardening magazines I'm bringing so loot thru them before they land in the gamblers circle.

nhoney4family: I'm brining you scarlet runners for your autumn joy sedum - can I also have your blue eyed asiatic in exchange for a clump of my tall phlox??

I leave town tonight (with vehicle loaded) so if I haven't already confirmed any pre-trades with you, please let me know before 8pm so I don't miss anything. Cheers!

See you all at 9 a.m. at the LCBO in Unionville on Monday morning!! WooHoo!

• euphemia
    17 years ago

Lana:

Are your dahlias the big ones or are they the small type? If they are the small kind, I'd love some. Many thanks.

Cheers,
    Euphemia

• nebypera
    17 years ago

debsz5 I would love dwarf wiegela, if you still have one.

cherylnpickering May I have clematis seedlings if they are any other colour then blue?

sydseeds What can I give you for malva Vulcan?

amcorrigan Could you trade Obedient Plant (white flowers) and Castor Bean Plant?
    lanakolo Do you want to trade yours Dahlias (peach, white)?

nadia_smiles (already proposed trade through email) gets from me rooted Euonymus evergreen vine, periwinkle aka myrtle aka vinca or other groundcover, 1-2 very small seedlings of: Lobelia 'Crystal Palace', Lobelia Trailing Sapphire, Verbena, Columbine Double Light Blue , Columbine Long Spurred Mixed and a division or two of Lobelia Siphilitica in exchange for herb seedlings, 1-2 of each (Italian parsley seedlings, Oregano seedlings, Cilantro seedlings, Thai basil or lemon basil seedlings or Purple basil seedlings), whichever you could spare.

These are confirmed trades so far (please correct me if got something wrong or am missing something):
    1. skraps gets from me: Rose Moss small clump of seedlings, Geranium Cabaret Salmon 2-3 seedlings, Geranium Cabaret White 2-3 seedlings, Common Delphinium small clump of seedlings, Delphinium 'Pacific Giants' small clump of seedlings, Clematis Radar Love small clump of seedlings, Columbine Double Light Blue small clump of seedlings, Hollyhock 'Chaters Double Mixed' or Hollyhock 'Double Mixed' 1-2 plugs, Tatarian Dogwood small clump of seedlings, Smoke Bush either rooted or fresh cuttings or both, Hosta Undulata Albo-marginata few divided plants, and plants from CALLALILLY (Mila) in exchange for Solomon Seal, White Bleeding Hearth, Hosta-frances Williams, Pink Bee Balm.

2. nbhoney4family gets from me Hot paprika seedlings, 1-2 of each and smoke bush either rooted or fresh cuttings or both in exchange for Asiatic lily -Blue eyes.

3. Euphemia gets from me Woodland spiderwort division and Jacob's Ladder 'Apricot Delight' (Polemonium caeruleum) seedlings in exchange for Frosty pink Brugmansia 3 ft high seedling

4. mutts_fan gets from me Lungworth in exchange for Astilbe chinesis Pumila

Sydseeds, do you mind telling me how do you get either bold or coloured letters in your posts?

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marica (just remove that first space between the Marica : My vulcan's are very slow to germinate and I've only got 1 pot of them thus far - maybe the rain is slowing them down.

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

nebypera I am happy to trade a castor bean plant and some white obedient plant for some Woodland Spiderwort if you still have some left to trade.

AM

PS just thought I would try the colours!

• lanakolo
    17 years ago

nhoney4family I would love to trade some of my Dahlias for your autumn joy sedum

euphemia my Dahlias are quite big - 5' to 7'

nebypera (Marica) I would very much like to trade some of my Dahlias (peach and white) for your Winter-creeper Euonymus

Lana

• YouGoGirl
    17 years ago

I am hoping to attend the swap but I'm not really looking for anything in particular. I will be bringing
    2 - Choc. Mint
    2 - Lysimachia - Fire Cracker
    1 - Euphorbia - Cushion Spurge
    1 - Clematis Alpina Constance
    2 - Varigated Catmint - Tiny
    6 - Ornamental Pumpkins
    3 - Ruby Moon Hyacinth Bean Vine
    5 - Red Canna
    3 - Castor Bean
    6 - Malva Zebrina
    See you all there,
    Elaine from Bath (near Kingston)

• Anisten
    17 years ago

Okay I must make a correction, sorry I mentioned the wrong type of Canna they are actually an unamed yelow/orange flower with green leaves 5-8 feet tall. Is this fine Mutts and Sydseeds?

• skraps
    17 years ago

YOU GO GIRL: I would really like on of your Clematis Alpina Constance .. Thanks

• YouGoGirl
    17 years ago

Skraps, it's yours. It has a small deep purple/pink nodding flower.

I will be leaving for Pickering after school today, so I won't be able to check to see if anyone else wants anything. Please just ask at the swap.
    Thanks
    Elaine

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skraps: The big blue delphinium that I went to dig out for you is a gonner. Maybe they only come back for so long - it was so pretty the last three summers - I did winter sow some seeds from it that are nothing but seedlings at this point (and I will bring for you but cannot accept anything in exchange as I don't know if they will come true to the mother plant.)

You Go Girl: So glad you're coming to the swap!

Anisten : Sounds just fine with me.

Sorellina: I went on a hunt for some clematis layerings from last summer & fall but I think the chipmunks feasted on most of them over the winter. If any do appear, I'll hold some for the fall swap - they'll be more mature by then to cut away from the mother plants at that time.

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao all-

It's been kind of challenging to tour the garden with all this rain, but I think by Sunday, I should have no problems potting up everything. No one so far has shown any interest in the yarrow and strawberries, so if I don't hear from people by Sunday, I'll leave the divisions for another day.

lanakolo- I was hoping to get some of your dahlias, any colour, I'm not picky.

yougogirl- Thanks for coming and piping up with what you're bringing. I hope you have enough clematis, especially now since sydseeds lost a lot of hers due to hungry chipmunks. Look through my list and see if there's something there that appeals to you.

sydseeds- You mentioned gladiolas and hydrangea at one point. Do you have them still or did they all go to eager swappers early on? I'd take those in place of the clematis. They don't need to be dug up in Fall or anything right? Remember, the more low maintenance with me and perennials, the better, lol. I'm good with tomato and eggplant seedlings, but over-wintered plants and houseplants are doomed.

Cheers,
    Julianna

• nebypera
    17 years ago

nadia_smiles gets from me periwinkle, Woodland spiderwort Lobelia Siphilitica, 1-2 very small seedlings of: Lobelia 'Crystal Palace', Lobelia Trailing Sapphire, Verbena, Columbine Double Light Blue, Columbine Long Spurred Mixed in exchange for herb seedlings, 1-2 of each (Italian parsley seedlings, Oregano seedlings, Cilantro seedlings, Thai basil or lemon basil seedlings or Purple basil seedlings).

amcorrigan gets from me Woodland Spiderwort in exchange for white Obedient Plant and Castor Bean Plant.

Lanakolo gets from me rooted Euonymus evergreen vine in exchange for peach and white Dahlias.

• skraps
    17 years ago

sydseeds: Not to worry about the blue delphinium . Actually nebypera is also bringing me some . I will bring your plants don't worry about it. You deserve them for all your hard work.

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Sydseeds thank you for instructions, I got it after several attempts. Is there anything you want from my list for your chameleon plant or glads or pink shrub rose?

Does anybody have a tomato that I grow in a pot?

• cherylnpickering
    17 years ago

nebypera : Clematis seedlings I have are lavender blue are are from C.heracleifolia ...they ramble and are not climbers.

Cheryl

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao nebypera-

I MAY have a small determinate or dwarf tomato extra for you. I need to do my inventory tomorrow or Sunday. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
    Julianna

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao all-

I've completed my inventory and the news is very good. Today was the first day the tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, and basil got a dose of full sun. I'm grateful that tomorrow is slated to be cloudy and maybe even a bit rainy because they should bounce back nicely by Monday.

In addition to the divisions I've already arranged for people, these are the warm-weather veggies and herbs from my inventory:

laine2-I've got either a sweet or hot pepper for you and a large bicolour tomato called Lucky Cross or some basil.

sydseeds-I set aside the only extra cherry tomato for you. It's called Galina's, it's yellow, and there are 2 plants of it.

nadia-You've got a lovely ornamental hot chili pepper called Little Elf.

lanakolo-I found 2 extra black tomatoes and potted up a large slicer called Black Krim for you. It's looking a tad shocky so if it's still looking on the sad side, I'll pot up Black Plum, a semi-determinate small plum for you, great for drying.

muttsfan-I've got some sweet basil and a tomatillo pair set aside for you.

skraps-I've got genovese basil and a tomatillo pair set aside for you as well.

nhoney-I've got a lovely pink salad tomato for you called Eva Purple Ball. If that's not to your liking, I'll be bringing a few others as well.

nebypera-I found a determinate tomato for you called Silvery Fir Tree. It's got lovely spreading fern-like foliage and the fruit are somewhat early, about 4-6 oz, round red tangy, perfect for salads. I'd love some of your clematis or hollyhocks for it.

I decided to go ahead and bring the yarrow anyhow, and I've got lots of extra raspberries.

I'll be bringing a tomato called Giraffe. It's a long keeping tomato, so what you do is just kind of ignore it for the bulk of the growing season and then pick them green at the end of the season, put them in your root cellar wrapped in newspaper, and let them ripen. A guy who grows these has had ripe tomatoes through February. It's my first year growing them and I'm way excited. Another one I'll be bringing is a green-when-ripe called Grub's Mystery Green. It's from a guy in Australia who noticed it growing on one of his Cherokee Purples. It's also a first time grow-out for me but it's supposedly a full-flavoured beefsteak and his pictures over the winter had me salivating.

Let me know if there are any last-minute requests. Tomorrow promises to be another full gardening day.

Cheers,
    Julianna

• nebypera
    17 years ago

sorellina: I had just a few seedlings of Clematis Radar Love and these are gone, but will bring you hollyhock seedlings.

• dmcevenue
    17 years ago

Nebypera - yes I have 1 weigela left which I'll tag for you.

Lanakolo - do you have any red, white or peach dahlias left?

Sydseeds - do you know what heucheras you'd like or would you prefer to wait and see? I have green leaved with red markings and also some with silver/purple leaves. Have 2-3 of each.

Am also bringing:

Eupatorium purpureum - Joe Pye weed
    Euphorbia - name? Tall red with lime green flower bracts
    Fallopia japonica 'Variegata'
    Clematis jouiniana praecox - groundcover clematis
    Rudbeckia
    Purple iris - name? unbearded.
    Forget-me-nots
    Lobelia 'Sparkle DeVine' - magenta cardinal flower
    Green kiwi vine - bought as male but hasn't variegated so suspect may be female?

Looking forward to tomorrow - glad I checked the time and place again - had the wrong time AND location in my head!

Debs

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Debs Thank you very much. What would you like in return? I would love to have almost everything you are going to bring (Eupatorium, Euphorbia, Clematis jouiniana praecox, Lobelia 'Sparkle DeVine', Green kiwi vine) especially Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' but do not know what do you want or like. Please, check my trading list and let me now if there is anything there for you.
    Marica

• dmcevenue
    17 years ago

Hi Marica, I will mark those items for you.
    A foxglove would be great if you have a spare, also any stonecrop and maybe a sumac tree?

Thanks
    Debs

• nebypera
    17 years ago

That is great Debs,thank you so much. I'll transplant some foxglove seedlings tonight and dig up sumac and stonecrop in the morning.

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Debs,

I'd also like a clematis if there's something of mine that piques your interest. I'll have some extra tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, and poppies.

See you all tomorrow,
    Julianna

• dmcevenue
    17 years ago

Julianna - I'm so sorry - I only had the one clematis!

Debs

• euphemia
    17 years ago

Hi All:

It's now 4:22 p.m. and I have only just come inside for a break - my back is warning me already!

Karen and Mary Anne, a million thanks to you two for organizing another successful swap. I am sure everyone appreciates all the hard work you put in.

I'd also like to thank all the other GardenWebbers for the generous trades I have. I particularly enjoyed the friendship that was commonly around!

Please take good care until we meet again!

Meanwhile, happy gardening!

Euphemia

• nhoney4family
    17 years ago

HI! Just wanted to say THANKS to all! See you in the fall!

Nicole

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

Despite the cold, it was a great day; much of the afternoon was spent moving pots from one part of the garden to another trying to find the right fit.

Thank you Karen and Mary Anne for organizing the swap, consider me an addict now. I am already planning on what to put aside for the next one.

Thanks to all the traders for the generous trades and the interesting plants. I am sure to be growing things that I hadn't imagined.

Have a wonderful summer.

AM

• skraps
    17 years ago

I want to thank all of you to for the amazing trades, although the weather sucks it is perfect weather for transplanting. Sorry we had to skip of my hubby and grandson were frozen . But not to cold to go to the Airport and watch the planes take off.(lol) My grandson had a blast loves to plant. Hubby got all my trees and bushes planted. On the other hand I'm still planting. Looking forward to all my beautiful blooms . Got to take pictures this summer and try to figure out how to post them (sigh).
    Look forward to see you all in the fall.

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Thank you very much for another great swap Sydseeds, and thank you all for the wonderful plants. Have a great gardening season.
    Marica

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Thanks so much to the organizers! And thank you to everyone that participated. It was great to see so many familiar faces and so many new faces. I had a great time...and so did my mom, my uncle, my friend, his puppies, and my neighbour. I'll see you all in the fall. Happy planting!

Nadia

• Anisten
    17 years ago

Another thanks for a great swap. check out the link for some pictures.

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone who came and participated. We had a great turnout and met lots of like minded new friends. I love my new plants!! I got lots of stuff I know nothing about so lots of surprises coming soon eg mini pumpkin, tomatillos.
    A special thanks to Sydseeds the enabler -wooohoooo!!! SYDSEED ROCKS!!!! You are the best - always so generous with your time (reading everyone's postings, answering questions) and your plants (awesome gifts from you from past swaps are a constant rooted reminder of your kindness)

Everyone, please start getting ready for the Fall swap. Cherylinpickering will scout out a location and I will start the thread sometime this summer. Take care everyone, nice seeing you all again and let's get busy in the garden!
    Get out the Sunblock, water bottle and mosquito repellant everyone!

Cheers
    Mary Anne

• sorellina
    17 years ago

Ciao all,

I hope everyone had a great day out in the garden today. I know it's a back to work day for most people, but my goodness, what glorious weather to be outside. Thanks to all of you for such interesting trades and also for your knowledge and wisdom regarding perennials. I have SO much to learn about them still, thanks for your patience in answering my newbie questions.

Tristan grabbed some things from the middle circle which I have no clue regarding the names of the plants or what sort of care they need, so as soon as I'm able, I'm hoping to post some pictures of them for ID.

I'm so excited about all the lilacs! They're small, but I know they'll fill that space nicely and I can't wait to discover what colours they turn out to be.

I put the dahlias in full sun and just barely covered the root/tuber/rhizome thingies. I hope that's what they need.

Tomatoes/eggplants/peppers/tomatillos/basil all got a full day outside and tomorrow will be their first major dose of full sun. I'm hoping to get them in the ground before the weekend.

Duane finished 2 additional tomato beds as a birthday present for me and got all the 8' stakes in this morning. The soaker hoses are all in place and now it's just a matter of waiting a few days for the plants to get fully hardened off.

Big hugs to all of you, I wish the weather had been more pleasant but it was still a very fun event and thanks again to sydseeds for organizing the swap and for everyone's wonderful enthusiasm and generosity.

Get planting everyone!!

Julianna

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Hey all,

Whoever I gave the "tomato guarder" plant to (I gave it to your husband)...I now remember the name. The plant is called borage and it guards against tomato worms. I hope it works for ya!

Nadia

• skraps
    17 years ago

Nadis:

That was me thanks very much . I really appreciate you letting me know . See in the fall

• euphemia
    17 years ago

Hi Friends:

Believe it or not, I am yet to finish planting all the goodies I got from the swap.

I would appreciate help identifying a couple of plants I got from the swap circle. One is about 1.5 ft. tall with purplish leaves. The other is about a foot tall with light green and white varigated leaves, with a tinge of pink along the edge. Does anyone recall seeing them and know what they are, or would the original owners of the plants give me some idea? Many thanks indeed!

• keltickreek
    9 years ago

Any thoughts on doing this again?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions