Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day)

Posted by sydseeds 5A /ON (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 11:16

Launching this now, because I'm getting email inquiries, and this gives us a conversation thread to do the planning and implementation.

Hoping for the same rules as usual;

1. Tailgater (meaning trading out of our vehicle trunks in a pre-determined empty parking lot)

2. No sales.

3. Pre-arranged trades ahead of time most welcome.

4. Any garden related living or inanimate object welcome at the trade (so not just seed packets and plants, but old tools, extra fertilizer, old garden books/magazines, compost, etc. - anything garden related actually is most welcome especially if you are new to these swaps and are just starting out but don't have alot of plants/perennials to divide up and swap/trade)

5. The ever popular 'swap circle' - which is the place we randomly place one (or 10) items in the cirlce which enables us to take one (or 10) items in exchange - this is the circle where you'll find things you never knew you wanted/needed).

6. Hoping to firm up the Markham location - the LCBO's are closed on that holiday so that location in the past has made a great location for us (Muttsfan will have to help me here with posting a map and directions).

7. Throwing up the swap date of:

Monday May 22nd - Victoria Day stat holiday (this is the same date we had for last years GTA east swap)

The following Sunday (May 29th) has typically been used for last years GTA west (Etobicoke) swap, so I chose the Victoria day Monday again for the central/east swap as I didn't want this swap date to land on the same day as the GTA West tailgater as some swappers want to attend both.

Pipe in here and I guess I better plant a few more WS flats to get lots of things on my swap list. Cheers! Sydseeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day)

I also posted a something in the Canadian Gardening conversations because I didn't see this conversation thread originally (pre-latte moment, it was early-ish and that's my excuse).

So thanks Sydseeds, you goddess of organization, you.

Julianna, who prays that we get Munchkin on that day so he'll be able to partake. He really loved the swaps last year.

o

• Posted by skraps 6a ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 13:13

Thanks you so much for the email... I will definitely be there..

o

Victoria Day works fine for me! Let me know what I can do to help :-)

Debs

o

thx for the email - will check my schedule!

o

Absolutely count me in. Thanks for sending me the e-mail. I never would have found this otherwise.

I am happy to help with organization also.

AM

o

Hello everyone!!!! After last years mess up :( Im not sure if I will venture forth to the Markham swap. I need to find a copilot .. and I just might have one depending on when his shipment from overseas arrives ... he sells stuff at various festivals. So keep your fingers crossed. I think I might try to get another Halton Swap going .. not sure at this point but if people are interested it could be fun.

Laura

o

• Posted by laine2 z4&5 Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 18:31

Hi everyone so glad you are doing this again Karen love
swaps see you all in May in Markam need help just ask I can come early lmk Elaine T.C. till then xoxoxoxo. Hope we will be able to have one in the East again Peterboro or ??Maybe Lindsay I'll keep watching this thread.Keep in touch please

o

HI! I'm so glad we have started this as March is such a long month! I need any hope of Spring I can get!

Laine2-- Let me know if your have a swap in the East as I'm some what near you! Thanks

o

Hi y'all!
Okay - here's the link to the swap.

Last year's Spring swap at the LCBO parking lot (on the Monday of the Victoria Day long weekend) worked out well, so Sydseeds and I thought we should do it again. This time we've decided on the Unionville (Markham) LCBO which is next to Longo's supermarket, east of Woodbine/ Hwy 7. This is very close to, actually between the other 2 Markham swaps - Fire and Ice Restaurant's parking lot and the Town of Markham parking lot. Sheridan and Pine Ridge Nurseries are maybe 2 miles east on Hwy 7. Anyone taking Hwy 401/Hwy 404 North - get off at Hwy 7, go East to Markham, its 3 lights away!

9 am to 11 am sound about right, Sydseeds?

Cheers
Mary Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to Spring Swap @LCBO in Unionville

o
Anisten's coming too!

Although she's having a heck of a time being able to post at GW these days, Anisten emailed me asking that I let everyone know that she's definitely coming to this swap. I'll act as her in-between for her lists of haves and wants until GW fixes whatever it is that is preventing her from posting here...

Muttsfan - thanks for the great map and the 9AM to 11AM timeframe is perfect for our Victoria Day Tailgate Plant Swap

o

Sydseeds you are a genious, the lower case letters worked figures it was something so silly.
I am interested in attaining a clematis that is not in need of pruning back to the bottom every year that way I can put it up and not be bothered every year. Anyone have a clematis like this? can't remember what the pruning group is called.
I also need a blueberry bush as I planted only one last year and it needs a partner to you.. know.
Is anyone interested in starting their own indoor(in winter) worm bin otherwise known as vermicomposting? I can help you get set up by providing the red wigglers (for the fishing enthusiasts they are only 3 inches long so may not be adequate for fishing). Vermicomposting is a great way to compost kitchen scraps but best of all vermicast is superior for plants than compost. I can set up a few people if there is interest.
I cant wait for the warm weather to come.

o

HI! Have the Spring wiggles! I was in the garden this morning even with it snowing! Does anyone know of a garden site that shows garden plans? Thanks Nicole

o

Looking forward to the swap, and will be there, if for no other reason then just to deliver hot paprika seeds and few cuttings that I promised earlier (keep my fingers crossed that they do root). Im also, hopping to have seedlings from my Winter sown seeds, if they germinate at all (my first time doing it, so am anxious to see what the results are going to be). If they do germinate Ill have more then I ever wanted to. I keep wandering why do I always go over the head (I have 100+ containers), looks like I just cant do things in moderation and slowly.
Thanks a lot for organizing the swap.
Marica

o

Hi! I thought I would start my list to trade and want!
Thanks Nicole

Wants
Silverlace vine
Any fast growing vine!

Trade
Tall Purple mums! (I think)
Autumn Joy Sedum
More to come

o

Good idea Nicole! These worked well for us last year and hoping some things come back to life but just in case, here's my "wants" list:

Love Lies Bleeding
Bleeding Hearts
Lilac
Lupines
Asters
Dahlias
Some kind of low-maintenance flowering climber..I've never grown clematis or passion flowers, but if they're ok for a beginner, I'll give it a shot
Vegetable and herb seeds, especially open-pollinated or heirloom
Berry plants, especially currants and blueberries
Rhubarb
Asparagus
Sunflower seedlings

Trade
Tomato plants
Basil plants
Pepper plants
Vegetable and herb seeds
Blue columbine seeds
Ever-bearing golden raspberry plants if anyone is interested

I still am pretty clueless about perennials and dividing things, but I had good luck with the raspberries last year at least.

Cheers,
Julianna

o

Nicole - I can start some 'scarlet runner beans' for you - they grow almost as fast as the mile-a-minute silver lace vine that is on your list (which I don't have). Once you've got a vine or two of the scarlet runners, the bean pods are easily saves for you to have plenty of beans to start the following spring. I'll put two pots of started vines aside for you if you want. These scarlet runner vines were at my mom's and full of blooms all summer long.

o
GTA Central/East Tailgate Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day)

Sorellina - Do you want an easy 'scarlet runner' as well? I've been trying to erase all my bleeding hearts but no matter how much I think I have it licked and have dug it all up and given it all away at these annual tailgate swaps, that darn old bleeding hearts seem to always find their way back each spring - creeping up like an unwelcome monster poking itself thru the trellis slates on our front porch. If it shows itself again and starts nosing itself out again this spring to announce it's yet-again arrival, I'll dig up the clump and put it aside for you. And will hope that will be the end of it for once and for all...talk about a nuisance plant that just won't give up residence in my yard.

o

Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 16:43

Hi Julianna I would love some of your pepper basil and tomato plants I will dig up some rhubbarb roots for you,
I'll try and get the sunflower seedlings to Take care all see you in May xoxoxox Elaine

o

HI!

Syseeds That would be great Thanks
Laine2 I have tryed to email you but it won't let me are you doing a swap in your area? Did you get to the garden show? Talk soon Nicole

o

Syd-

Are you talking about Scarlet Runner beans? Or the flowers? Or is there a bleeding heart variety called that? Sorry for the confusion, I know my veggie and herb varieties pretty well, but ornamentals are beyond the scope of what I know still. I'd take some Scarlet Runner bean or flower seeds if you have them. We've grown them before in the past and they're very pretty. Duane's making a bean trellis this year so I can just weave them in between the Romanos. The reason I'm looking for an ornamental climber is for the arbor out front. It's kind of bare and "unsightly", so I thought maybe an ornamental climber there might be pretty. We love your bleeding hearts, they're not a nuisance to us at all. It's hard to find things that like the shaded beds along the side of the house and the bleeding hearts do well there. I'd love some if they come back for you, thanks!

Laine-

Duane will be ecstatic that you're willing to part with the rhubarb, he loves the stuff. Should I put some sort of enclosure around it to keep Mario Le Mew, my cat from eating it? Aren't parts of it poisonous?

Grazie,
Julianna

o

Hi, I'm new here. Heard about it from Nicole. (thanks).
Looking forward to coming to the swap next month!! I'll probably be bringing my MIL too.
I have Sunflowers
White Trumpets
Tiger Lilly (I think)
more to come
I want Clematis (or something to climb a trellis)
Lilac
Something Tall that can be cut and brought inside for an arrangement

o

Sorellina - I'd love some of your ever-bearing golden raspberry (never tried a gold/yellow one). I'm potting up the scarlet running beans now to have plants to bring so I'll put one aside for you plus whatever come back in the way of the bleeding hearts.

Tara - glad you and your MIL are coming. Once you show up once, you'll find yourself booking this date every year on your calendar as it's such a fun morning of swapping plants and garden cast-offs. What are white trumpets - sounds interesting! I'll check to see what I've got coming up that's on your wish list.

o

Hi! I found the name of the trumpet flower !
They are called Datura! Very hardy and pretty

o

I am interested in trading named daylilies and hostas. Check out my member page for pictures of daylilies. I also have Gold Standard, Wide Brim, and Patriot hostas available for trading. I can also offer some common perennials, such as Rudbeckia Goldstrum, Purple Coneflower, and purple liatris.

I have way too many annuals started and will likely bring some Black Dragon Coleus, some basil, and some lobelia. As I get closer to planting out time, I will know better.

Anistin, I am interested in starting a worm composting system and any help would be appreciated. The mice have taken over my garden compost bins and they are getting all the good out of my kitchen scraps.

I missed the trade last year and am looking forward to attending this year.

Thanks,

AM

o

HI! Amcorrigan

I would love Sweet hot Chocolate! If I have some things you want from me I will post more soon! I would also like Irish Elf or your other yellow lilly! Thanks Nicole

o

Hello everyone. I'm going to try to attend this swap - it'll be nice to see people again.

I'm not garden-organized yet this spring, so am not sure what I have to offer, but am still looking for daylilies of any sort to deal with a problem area. Last year I did very well with lilies from GWers, thanks, and am hoping to score a few more and make the unsightly zone into a sea of grassy lillies.

Susan

o

Ciao all,

I should also have a few eggplant extras if people are interested in those as well. The basil is getting its true leaves now so it should be in good shape by the time of the swap. I should have 6 good clumps or so. Peppers are mostly hot ones but there may be a few sweet ones in there as well.

Tomgyrll/Susan-

If you still want those Plum Lemon/Wonder Lights tomato seeds, let me know and I'll package some up for you.

Cheers, and I hope all of you had a lovely Easter,
Julianna

o

YIKES - Julianna - I forgot about the tomato seeds! Sorry!!

Tell me what varieties you want - I may have some you don't...

Susan

o

Ciao Susan,

Hey, no worries, I know real life imposes its demands on our gardening bubble sometimes. It's all good, I've got my garden pretty well set in terms of tomatoes, but it's never too early or late to plan for next year, I always say. I've got some seeds in mind that were a tad difficult to obtain this year, which is why they've rolled over to 2007. I'll just list them here, so if you have any of these, let me know and also if there are ones that you are looking for, I'll put some aside for you if I have them.

Lime Green Salad
Citron Compact
Victorian Dwarf
Lucky Leprechaun
Kosovo
Yellow Canary
Wes
Green Giant
Green Gage
Cosmonaut Volkov
Wolford's Wonder
Wuhib

I'm also looking for wild and wacky different basils, one can never have too many varieties of basil.

Thanks much, Susan and looking forward to seeing you at the swap!

Julianna

PS to sydseeds: your lupines are back as well as the bleeding hearts you gave me last year. I'm so excited! Also, whoever gave me the lovage, that's back, the succulent, I think it was a sedum, that's back, and the lilac has a few buds on it. Happy happy happy!

o

Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 19:50

Hi just checking in looking forward to the swap,. Have to put aside some extra money for gas hehe .I will have a list
closer to mid May of what I can bring Take Care all.Elaine
laine@i-zoom.net Nicole or ??Happy Gardening :)

o

Julianna, off the top of my head I know I have Wes and Green Gage...may have a couple of others tho will have to check the inventory...I couldn't get Wuhib either.

Have you grown Kalinka or Carbon? Both very nice...and I have seed.

Susan

o

Susan,

Wes and Green Gage would be fabulous! Carbon I've grown and love, Kalinka I've never heard of. Thanks much for checking, looking forward to seeing what else you've got squirreled away ;o) As a side note, the dwarfs and determinates are mainly for our Munchkin. He likes to grow tomatoes that he can harvest at his eye level or lower. Last we measured, he's just shy of 4' tall. We also have a few friends who only have a balcony, so growing tomatoes in pots is a must.

Transplanted purple cauliflower this weekend and started blue potatoes. Carrots, radishes, beets, peas, radicchio, and arugula are all up, yay!!

Julianna

o

Here is a list of seedlings that are growing under lights in my basement -
Zinnia, Nigella, Mt Fuji Morning Glory, Blue Star Morning glory, Royal Family Sweet Pea, Thai Chilli (I'm guessing its Birdseye?).
Also have Lambs ears, perennial geranium, Sum and Substance Hosta (1 trade), pink lamium, purple coneflower.
More to add to list later.

Hey Sydseeds, can I have a bleeding heart for my friend who is a newbie gardener?

Cheers
Mary Anne

o

Ciao all,

UPDATE: counted my eggplant seedlings and it turns out I don't have any extras like I thought I would. I had 5 violetta lunga that decided not to germinate at all, so just letting everyone know so they don't get their hopes up on that one. Something I might have that I wasn't expecting to have, however, are 2 tomatillo seedlings. Right now I'm not sure exactly what variety that will be, but I'll keep you posted. Whoever decides on these, you have to grow 2 of them for successful fruit formation and they get tall so be prepared to stake them. For the uninitiated, tomatillos are absolutely fabulous in salsa. They're in the tomato family and the fruit look like little parcels wrapped in a paper husk. Anyone interested in these, let me know.

Cheers,
Julianna

o

• Posted by
    jimmy-jojo Zone 5b
    (gw:jimmy-jojo) on
    Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 9:53

Just new here. Have you thought of contacting the local gardening clubs in the Markham area about your plant swap? Their members may like to swap too.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden clubs

o

Jimmy-jojo: welcome! We posted over at various local garden sites that we belong to and looking forward to newcomers like yourself attending - won't be contacting local garden clubs though as they have 'plant sales' and we're into 'swapping for free' - we've found it more fun when you don't have to open your wallet to pay for admission; membership or plants - just bring what you've got to swap with the gang of us......more friends - more swapping fun.

o

• Posted by
    jimmy-jojo Zone 5b
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 11:20

I'm in the west Halton area. A Mississauga / Burlington meet would be better for me.

I'm after hummingbird plants. It is very difficult to find the ones I'm after. The US seed exchangers won't send to Canada and the stores here have next to nothing in plants or seed. It's frustrating.

o

Ciao Jimmy,

You've got mail.

Julianna

o

• Posted by
    jimmy-jojo Zone 5b
    Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 10:35

Jimmy didn't get the mail sorellina sent. Jimmy's got a new address ;)

o

Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 22:30

Here is a list of things I have to swap..
Hosta-frances williams
Hosta-Standard green lots
Chain tree-just now taking root
Black Russian sunflower -seedlings
Amaranthus hammerhead-seedlings
gourds-birdhouse-seedlings
Flowering kale_seedlings
Hollyhocks black double-seedlings
sweet woodruff
Lambs ear
Gout weed
Plume poppy
Bees Balm -pink
Stock -white
euonymus-winter creepers?
snow-in-summer
gooseneck loosestrife
lady's mantle
crane's bill geranium

Things I'm looking for
Smoke Bushes
Astilbe
Geranium pelargonium or cuttings
Flowering Maple
Oleander-pink or red
Rockfoil
Brugs anything but yellow (rooted)
Burning Bush
Dogwood-flowering
coleus-joseph coat
Delphinium-Blue
Fried egg
Hibiscus-double flowering
Hibiscus large flowering (harty)
Looking for something for hot dry sunny location.
Tempt me

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 22:31

I have not yet heard anything about a GTA west (Etobicoke) swap. Have I missed it somehow? Please drop me an email with the link if there is one. Thanks.

I just checked my double purple datura. They are really coming up nicely. I should also have more dahlias and canna lilies this year, not to mention brugmansia plants.

o

Hi Skraps - I have a burning bush for you!

I also have a few heuchera, 2 dwarf wiegela (they might be Midnight Wine - I'll have to look for the tags), a couple of iris, some rudbeckia. More to come...

It's gonna be a beuatiful weekend for gardening - happy digging everyone!

Debs

o

Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 21:59

Thanks Debs for the burning bush what can I bring you ?
Jroot you gonna put aside some brugs for me Please?

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 19:38

Well, skraps, that all depends. I am not going to be driving to Markham. If there is something organized for closer to the west end, perhaps. Unfortunately, I have not heard of anything organized in this area, and I personally am TOOOOOOO busy to do it myself.

o

Hi all! I'm glad to see familiar names on this list. It'll be great to see you all at the swap. Let me know what I can bring you.

haves:
Italian parsley seedlings
Oregano seedlings
Cilantro seedlings
Thai basil or lemon basil seedlings (I'm not sure if both are sprouting or just one of them is sprouting)
Purple basil seedlings
Amaranthus seedlings
Italian sunflower seedlings
violas
calendula, yellow and orange varieties
maple tree, three years old (one)
white spruce saplings, very young (two)
garden hose (how did I end up with four hoses?) (one)

Wish list:
coleus
lobelia
verbena
Alyssum
Ageratum
columbine
peppermint
ivy geranium, red
Hemerocallis 'Stella d'Oro'
clematis (Henryi, 'Fair Rosamond', Sunset, viticella 'Venosa Violacea', 'William Kennett', Ramona, viticella 'Etoile Violette') I know, I know, it's a wish list, ok?

Skraps: I can divide some pink astilbe from my garden if you're interested. I'd love a flowering kale seedling.

Laura: let me know if you want to meet at a gas station/coffee shop off the 401 somewhere and convoy over together.

o

Hey all,

I'd really like to get a West area swap going in Etobicoke, but I've never organized a swap before and I don't want to mess it up and have everyone angry with me. Does anyone have any tips? Words of encouragement? :) How exactly does one organize a swap, other than choosing a location and date and posting the info?

o

nadia: In the past, stellagord and I just wing'd it and a bunch of us had some great and successful GTA West spring and fall tailgate swaps. I haven't seen stellagord on-line in months so perhaps she's incredibly busy with life in general.

Because my spring is packed, I know I won't be able to get to a GTA west spring swap but look forward to seeing someone grab the reigns and launch a GTA west tailgate swap!

Feel free to just cut and past my first posting into an independant thread; check off that you want replies of posts that come in; change the GTA East to GTA West; change the date and location to where-ever and whenever you want (or ask for suggested locals & preferred dates) and voila - you're done the biggest part of the organizing.

The only extra thing I think I do on the morning of the swap (other than filling every square inch of my vehicle to capacity) is to bring a little chalk (for the 'gamblers circle - leave one; take one area';) and to bring a big garden knife (to split some plants that I/others may have only brought one of, but 3 people want a big old chunk of it.) and a few extra empty grocery bags (to put these extra divided plant in)

The attendees will pipe in with their trades/wants/wishlists; and poof - before you know it, there will be 45 posting in the thread, and growing daily as the date approaches.

One caution - I didn't post our Central/East Tailgater swap thread over in the main "Canadian trade' discussion board - I put in over here on the conversation side, because GW friends on the USA trade boards had their entire 'swap/getogether' threads deleted entirely when they posted 'swap meets/get-togethers on the US trade forums - the new administrators posted in the suggestions and comments board (once the complaints came rolling in) that the trades board wasn't where these get togethers were suppose to be posted.
The members were very annoyed as all those 'pre-trading discussions' got entirely wiped out. I would hate to have that happen to anyone on our boards. For me - I posted on the trade board a link to find our discussions here in the conversations side - it didn't get deleted and it let lurkers there know we were over here planning and pre-swapping.

Go for it and I can email a few 'West-y GWers' that came to our West-GTA Tailgaters in the previous years; and I can post your thread (once you post it) to a couple of splinter-garden groups where X-GWer's are hanging out, and they always want the inside scoop on where the GTA swaps are going to be.
Cheers! Sydseeds

o

Hello everyone - I am so glad you are doing this again! Absolutely count me in.
I am looking for any berry plants as I created a whole new area dedicated to berries. I am also looking for bushes with nice colour/nice textured leafs, anything out of the ordinary, as I am replanting an area I used before for Dahlias. It is a sunny area and I hope I can make it as beautiful and colourful as when I had Dahlias there, only I want it worry free - no more digging out in the fall, starting early spring indoor, and so on... I have beautiful Dahlias and great Cannas for trading.
Sorellina, I have peach, yellow, red and white Dahlias. I didn't start them yet, but I am going to, this weekend, so just let me know which colour do you want. I'd be interested in some tomato plants - what type do you have? I would also like some of your ever-bearing golden raspberry plants.
Lana

o

Sydseeds, if your Forsythia and Hydrangea peegee are still available, will you bee interested to trade for Dahlias and/or Cannas?
Lana

o

hi, last year I went to a swap in Oshawa on this date through this service. Does Markham take its'place this year.

Brian

o

Hi Brian - yup we're back at Markham this spring - we've shifted in the past between Markham and Oshawa in the spring & fall tailgaters - I forget if it was last spring or fall - but this one is back at Markham - it ends up so that the drive time is kinda shared as we're coming from all direction in central, north/west GTA, east GTA and north/east GTA (and some even come quite far from the north and we even manage to get a few GTA west tailgaters coming that might not otherwise be able to attend the date of the GTA West swap so this way they don't miss out on all the GTA tailgaters). Hope you're coming!

I'm watching daily to see if that dreaded bleeding heart pokes its head out from under the porch so stay tuned folks to see if I can resurrect it up again (which I don't hope it does; but in a way hope it does so I can dig it up again and give it away.

My trade page is slowly getting updated so bear with me on the confirmed loot I'm bringing!

o

Hi,

Thanks for clearing that up for me and I am sure there may be one or two others that were wondering the same thing.

Brian

o

I have a bunch of small boxes - 7"x10"x 2". They can be used for mailing divisions or small plants. I also have extra bubble wrap in various sizes for anyone who does a lot of seed exchanges by mail. Also lots of small green pots from 3" to 8" in diameter. Let me know if you want any.
I have malva seedlings, spirea, astilbe and iris babies as well.

Mary Anne

o

Hello Everyone!

I'll most likely swing by with stuff for the swap circle..hosta seedlings, clematis seedlings, Solanum autropurpureum, mina lobata vine seedlings, phlox,Achellea'paprika, Rudbeckia maxima ...see you all then.

Cheryl

o

I have been outside all day today - cleaning up a couple of beds. My back will pay for it tonight I am sure.

I have for your consideration:
Lilac Maiden's Blush
Lilac Monge (French Hybrid)
astilbe seedlings (volunteers of astilbe chinesis Pumila)
Spirea seedlings (pink flowers)
Heuchera Palace Purple seedlings

plus the other stuff I had posted earlier.

2 weeks to go
Mary Anne

o

Mary Anne: I would like some Zinnia if you still have some

Debs:Burning Bush and 1 dwarf wiegela

nadia_smiles: I will take a pink astilbe for a flowering kale.

Lana:I would love to have a canna yellow

o

Hi guys, I'm a brand new gardener, new house, no plants other than a few sale items I put in. As a result, I don't have anyting to divide and share, etc. Can I still come or it wouldn't be worth it since I have nothing to share. Idealy I'm looking for some shade plants, some easy to grow tomatoes and other veggies and a dogwood shrub. At this point I am happy to take anything since I have tons of room to fill.

o

kareninbrooklin: to be fair this is a swap of garden things verses a free for all; if we ended up with everyone coming with nothing wanting to take things home, it really isn't fair to those who are taking the time to collect things (anything garden related) to bring things to swap.

Perhaps your local freecycle would be a better place to post wanting some free plants.

Here's an idea - post on your freecycle site that you're looking for plants; then keep some for yourself and post here what you are able to bring in exchange for swapping things for us.

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive but it's not really fair to come completely empty handed and go home with things that others are hoping to trade for new plants and such.

Look around the garage; check out freecycle; offer to help a neighbour with their spring clean up in exchange for a couple of perennials that they need divided; and then you'll be all set to barter and have fun swapping with the rest of us.

o

KareninBrooklin

Here are some suggestions for swapping:

Used Coffee Grounds - just go around to your neighbourhood Starbucks or Second Cup and ask for their used CGs, they will usually give you as much as a garbage bag of the stuff. I will trade a couple of seedlings or division of a perennial for the stuff :)
You can trade hard goods for the garden, trowels, small garden ornaments, Candles, extra gloves, extra pots etc. Two years ago, I got a cute wooden mallard (retired hunting decoy?)for my pond. Another time I got a homemade iron obelisk for my peony. I still think back fondly to the plant swaps when I got these items.
Since you live (sort of) in the country - go to a local feed store and buy Costco size organic fertilizer eg alfalfa meal or pellets, kelp meal, etc. Divide them into small bags eg grocery sized bags, and trade these for plants. Alfalfa tea is popular amongst hosta and rose growers. A 50 lb bag divided into 5 lb bags will yield you 10 plants at a minimum!!!
Do you have access to horse or rabbit manure? I saw a sign once driving to Uxbridge - free rabbit manure", unfortunately DH refused to stop :( Can you imagine me yelling, "Stop the car, someone's giving away free manure!" and my hubby yelling back "Are you crazy, woman?" If you can get your hands on a couple of bags, you can trade these for plants!!

As long as its gardening related, its welcome at the swap. Pre-arranging via this thread is best because we always do the pre-arranged stuff first (tag your stuff people so you know what you are giving away and to whom and vice-versa!!) If you have your heart set on a Lilac or whatever, email the person offering the item and see if you can thrash out a deal, that way you are assured of something you really want.

Hope this helps
Mary Anne

o

Hey muttsfan - great ideas for kareninbrooklin as I'd hate for her to miss out - and actually kareninbrooklin - the uxbridge freecycle group had a posting just last week by someone who just recently took over a hobby farm but with no horses wants to unload the remaining aged horse manure - so definitely worth checking out - I remember roscoe (GW member) bringing that type of 'gardeners gold' to one of our tailgaters in Peterborough and he was getting plants left and right in exchange for that aged 'gold'. Aged manure.....ahhh.....nothing sweeter..... something alot of gardeners want but have no access to getting other than paying for it - and I don't know many gardeners who'll turn their noses up at swapping a plant for some compost/aged manure/shredded leaves - heck one year I made some pre-arranged trades with another swapper who didn't have any plants so I asked them to bring me a stack of newspapers for my lasagna gardening in exchange for some of my plants. We'd love you to come and swap - find me some shredded leaves and I'll swap plants for a bag of shredded leaves!

o

Hi Skraps - I'll tag the burning bush and dwarf weigela for you. If your cranesbill geranium and pink bee balm are still available I'd be interested!

Debs

o

no problem debs I will tag the cranesbill geranium and pink bee balm for you .

o

Here's a partial listing of what I've gather thus far for this swap.
______________________________________________________________________ __________________
If the item has a line through it, that means entire supply has been spoken for. No line = more available.

PLANTS IN VARIOUS SIZED POTS

(list under construction)
- 35 old Organic Gardening Magazines
- alfalfa pellets (for direct sow or liquid tea for roses)
- starbucks coffee grinds
Winter Sown Seedlings to include:
- malva zebrina
- malva vulcan
- sweet william
- rudbeckia toto
- morning glories
- petunias
- marigolds
- columbines
- scarlet runner vines
- cucumbers (pickling)
- tomatoes (various)
Divided perennials to include:
- rhubbarb
- double crop raspberries
- strawberries
- canna's
- yellow daylilies
- hens & chicks
- sedums
- glads
- ajuga
- hosta
- cameleon plant
- lysimachia nummularia
- lamium
- pink shrub rose
- annabelle hydrangea

I'm still waiting to see if the bleeping 'bleeding heart' shows it's ugly head from up under the porch.

I'm not certain the layered clematis are ready to be cut from the mother plant so these may have to wait for the fall swap. Stay tuned.

o

Lanakola - the forsythia and peegee hydrangea ended up in the 'gamblers circle' at last falls swap as I had no one who wanted them in pre-arranged trades. I do have some annabelle hydrangea if you want. And was it you looking for berries other than raspberries? I have strawberries if you want some.

Muttsfan & Sorellina - if the bleeding heart shows up, I'll try to split it carefully between you two.

o

Here is a list of plants that I have to swap.

Stella d'Oro
Iris (purple unnamed)
Rudbeckia Goldstrum
Red Magic Daylily (red)
Missouri Beauty Daylily (yellow tending to white)
Alexander Yellow Loosetrife Varigated (non-invasive non-banned type)
Centura Montana purple (perennial bachelor buttons)
Obedient Plant (white flowers)

I may have some of these but am not sure until the weekend.

Nicotania Only the Lonely (6 feet tall, long tubular very fragrant white flowers)
Castor Bean Plant (all parts poison)
Cerinthe Bouquet Gold

Nadia, for you I have Stella, Black Dragon, Lobelia, and McCanna Giant columbine.

I am looking for named hosta and daylilies, any type of hellebore (sp?) or ferns.

Syseeds, I would be interested in your Annabelle hydrangea if there is anything that I have that you would be interested in.

o

amcorrigan : do you have any unnamed/named - doesn't matter to me - hosta (other than night before christmas hosta type which is dark green with a thick white stripe in the middle as I've already got too much of that one) to swap for one of my annabelle hydrangeas?

o

Sydeeds,

I have three options for you. One is a varigated, low growing variety, with slightly twisting leaves, it grows into a clump about 12 inches by 30 inches, and the flowers are held at about 24 inches. Another is a light green one that looks like a ventricosa makes a clump about 4 feet and stands about 24 inches tall with the flowers about 30 inches. The last is a blue shaded one that looks like an elegans, grows to about 3 feet across and about 2.5 feet tall, and the slugs don't like it. All three are very hardy and increase rapidly.

I was going to divide one of the light green ones and could give you a substantial clump.

AM

o

AM - any of the single coloured hostas would make my day - you choose. I've got the annabelle hydrangea tagged for you.

Lanakola - I still have an annebelle hydrangea on standby for you (rather than the peegee hydrangea as I don't have that kind this year) - did you still want the annabelle variety? If so, I'd love to swap for one of your canna chunks.

Nadia I know you're organizing the GTA West tailgater - just wondering if you'll still planning to make it out to this GTA East tailgater? Hope so!

Skraps - want some blue delphiniums in exchange for some of your standard hosta?

debsz5 - what's on your wish list in exchange for some of your heuchera? I can go on a seek and find mission in the gardens if I knew what's on your wish list.

Taraflowers - would morning glory, or scarlet runners be good for your trellis?

Sorellina - hold me a couple grape or cherry tomato plants if you have any and a stick or two of your golden raspberries - I've got scarlet runners coming to you and yup - you're getting bleeding heart too from me.

Muttsfan - Will be potting up a bleeding heart for you - it's back! Can you bring me a Mount Fuji Morning glory?

nhoney4family - I've tagged some scarlet runners for you - can I have some of your autumn joy sedum?

My annabelle hydrangea and bleeding heart supply is now diminished. I'll go look around and see what's else I've got out there in the garden and post more items tomorrow.

o
Swappable groudcover for shade

Does anyone have any swappable groundcover (8" or shorter in height) that will do well in full shade? If you do, please see my swap list, above (nadia_smiles), and let me know what I can bring you.

Thanks!
Nadia

o

Hi All:

I am reading all your postings with great interest!

I am still undecided whether to come to the swap as I don't have interesting plants to bring.

Would anyone be interested in the following:

1. Canna lily seedlings - I started these from seeds and they are really small now, just about 2 inches tall but I expect them to be bigger by the time of the swap. They are all City of Portland canna lilies (dark pink flowers, green leaves). I can also bring one or two pieces of the roots from the mother plant, if there is interest.

2. I have two small potted Del Monte golden pineapple plants. Would anyone be interested?

3. I can also bring a couple of potted brug cuttings if there are takers. I have frosty pink and yellow.

4. Also, I have one rooted schefflera, but this is an indoor plant.

If I know there is interest in my humble offerings, I will surely come.

Cheers,
Euphemia

o

Nadia I'm setting aside some ajuga and lysimachia nummularia for you as requested. Wanna bring me some calendula in exchange.

Euphemia It would be great to have you come once again to the swap. I'd love a little piece of your dark pink canna root! Let me know what you want from my list of things I'm bringing.

o

Fri, May 12, 06 at 10:12

Cherryl:I would love to have one of your mina lobata vine seedlings.

mutts_fan: I would also like one each of your Lilac Maiden's Blush Lilac Monge (French Hybrid if u still have it..I have lots of bleeding hearts both white and pink.

amcorrigan: I have a ostrige fern can we swap it for some red daylillys?

euphemia :I would like a little piece of your pink portland canna lilly root if you have enough, Just check my list see if anything interest you .

o

Skraps: Happy to swap some fern for some Red Magic.

Euphemia: I would love some Brugmansia.

Is there anyting that I can offer you?

AM

o

Sydseeds: I am looking forward to seeing you all again. I will bring you a piece of my Portland canna lily root. I don't know what to ask and I am not asking for anything. You've been very generous to me in the past and I am happy that I can give you something back.

Skraps: I will bring you a piece of the Portland canna lily too. May I please have a flowering kale seedling?

Amcorrigan: I will bring you a potted brug. Do you want pink or yellow? Let me know.

o

Skraps, have one mina lobata with your name one it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

These pre-arranged trades are a very useful thing, but as we already have over 70 follow-ups posted, it becomes a bit confusing. If somebody asked me for something and it doesnt appear on the following list, it means I missed it, so please remind me!
sorelinna - I would like a couple of your golden raspberry plants. Last year I got from you a tomato plant called Russian Pink it produced some of the tastiest tomatoes I ever had. Do you still have them? What can I offer you?
euphemia - I would be interested in your Del Monte golden pineapple plant. Is any still available? What would you like from my trade list?
sydseeds I have tagged for you a few yellow canna chunks. Thanks a lot for the annebelle hydrangea, but I already have it. Could I have some scarlet runner vine and strawberries?
nadia_smiles I look forward for the maple tree. I cant recall what should I bring you for it?
skraps Ill have the yellow cannas for you. Could you get me some of your bleeding hearts (white and pink)?

I forgot to mention earlier, but I also have a couple of LOVAGE plants - it is one of my favorite herbs. It looks and smells something like celery but is much larger, growing more than 6 feet tall. Lovage can be used in almost any dish celery or parsley would be used in. It has bright green hand-shaped leaves and ridged hollow stems. It grows well in shade and sun and it is exceedingly hardy. Lovage comes up in the early spring and stays around for most of the growing season. Because it is tall and flowers late, it looks good in a garden's perennial border.
If anybody is interested, please let me know, because I am not going to dig them out unless somebody wants it.
Lana

Please check my trade list!

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

o

• Posted by ve_e 5 - Ajax (My Page) on
    Mon, May 15, 06 at 0:30

Love this idea .. thanks Nicole for clueing me in. Sorry I'm late to the party but I still wanted to get in on pre-swap trading if possible ..

want: (everything!)
Turtlehead
Obedient Plant (other than white)
Shasta daisies
any Malva / Mallow plants

can trade: (not much)
Rose of Sharon (hibiscus syriacus) cuttings (lots of them)
Day Lily (regular old orange)
Dead Nettle (lamium) ground cover
Lungwort (Pulmonaria)
Snow on the Mountain (Aegepodium podagraria var.) ground cover (very invasive but some people might still want it)
Sweet Woodruff (gallium oderatum) ground cover

o
offer list add-on

• Posted by ve_e 5 - Ajax (My Page) on
    Mon, May 15, 06 at 0:44

forgot an "available for trade" entry :

3 or 4 cedar seedlings , 2-3 yrs old (3 to 6 or 7 inches tall) .. these are self sown from my neighbour's trees, they have overwintered at least 2 yrs.

o

Ve e: I'd love some of your lungwort for some of my malva's (I'll bring you some of my white's and I also will bring you an amazing malva called Vulcan - it's fuschia coloured - I bought the seeds in the states last year and it was beautiful that I was able to capture some seeds that are already up and potted - I'm sure you'll like it! So great that you're coming to the swap!

Euphemia: I'm putting aside a few surprises for you for you giving me the little Portland canna root.

Lanakola: Yup - we're good to go on my strawberries and scarlet runners for your yellow canna chunk.

o

euphemia: I would prefer yellow.

Thanks,

AM

o

Ciao all,

I've returned from 3 weeks holidays in sunny California (USDA zone 12). They're way ahead of us and the vegetation is so completely different from what we've got here. Anyhow, I'm still very excited about the upcoming plant swap. Here's an update:

In addition to various tomatoes and peppers I have for trading and I won't know which varieties I've got for trade until Sunday when we'll be doing major inventory to see what will be going into the garden, I've added some other things to my trade list:

Tomato Plants (various, mostly tall indeterminates)
Pepper Plants (hot and sweet)
Tomatillo Plants
Sweet and Genovese Basil
Everbearing Golden Raspberries (LOTS)
Strawberries
Purple Cauliflower (one plant from Munchkin who will be attending with us..he's really wanting some Love Lies Bleeding)
Large-leafed Poppy..I have no clue what the actual variety this is, I think I got it from Peatpod last year..it spreads very nicely and will fill up some bare spots
Spreading succulent ground cover, again not sure of variety or Latin name
Lily of the Valley
Asian Poppy, red
Double Blue Columbine
Plastic pots of all sizes

laine2- I'll take some of your rhubarb and sunflower seedlings for my peppers, basil, and tomatoes

sydseeds-you always have the coolest stuff..I would LOVE some of your clematis if you're able to divide some off your vines or whatever it is you do, lol and as many as your pesky bleeding hearts as you can spare and a gladiola if you still have it for lots of golden raspberries and a few tomato plants..if I've got some small-fruited ones, I'll set them aside for you.

tomgyrll-I'll bring your Wonder Lights and Whippersnapper tomato seeds for your Wes, Green Gage, and Kalinka tomato seeds. Your sweet woodruff is doing absolutely fabulously under our cherry tree, by the way. It's spreading nicely.

nadia smiles-I'll give you some peppermint divisions, blue double columbine , and succulent ground cover for your amaranthus and Italian sunflowers

lanakolo-I think you may have gotten Purple Russian tomato from me last year. Yes, you're right, it's a really tasty one for sauce. I don't have an extra of that, but I've got some other great ones you might like so I'll give you that and some raspberries for whatever colour dahlias you may have, I'm not picky and some of your lovage. I got some last year and it's doing nicely in the lettuce garden. I was so very happy it made a repeat appearance. We love it.

muttsfan-I'll set aside some sweet and genovese basil for you for your nigella and lupine. If you'd like a tomatillo pair, I'll set that aside as well. I'd love a lilac if you still have one, it's my favourite flower.

skraps-I'd love one of your white bleeding hearts. Let me know if there's something I've got that interests you.

v e e-I'd love some of your hardy hibiscus if it's not already spoken for if there's something I've got that piques your interest as well.

Ok, I think this year maybe I might just be a tad more organized! Thanks for leading by example, sydseeds!

Cheers,
Julianna

o
To: Vee + Sorellina + Lana + Sydseeds

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone that's written to me recently. If I've already responded to you through email, let's go with that. You're already on my list. :)

Vee: If you have any spare lungwort, I have lots of the items on your wish list. I can bring you malva seedlings (they popped up from the plants peatpod gave me last year), turtlehead, and shasta daisies. I also have lots of violas, if you're interested. Violas weren't on your list. Don't worry about bringing me plant-for-plant stuff. One or two lungwort shoots would be lovely.

Sorellina aka Julianna: I ended up buying some peppermint at the rbg fundraiser (it was for charity...I couldn't resist). Sooo, if you can bring me a large-leafed poppy instead of a peppermint division, that would be great. If not, just the double blue columbine and succulent ground cover would be great. I'll bring you lots of amaranthus and Italian sunflower seedlings. They're growing like crazy. I feel like such a proud momma.

Lana: I will definetely bring you the maple tree/sapling. I've taken the picture for you, now I have to figure out how to upload it and send (!) I think you were going to bring me some polygonum orientale seeds. I'm very curious about your lovage, as well. If you have one shoot to spare, I'd like to give it a try. Let me know what else I can bring you. Just to confirm: I'm bringing the tree to the East swap, in Markham, right?

Sydseeds: I'll definetely bring you some calendula for your ajuga and lysimachia nummularia. I sent you an email...but I'm confirming here just in case. :)

See y'all on Monday!

Nadia

o

HI! Here is my trade list!

Asiatic lily -Blue eyes
Indian Summer-Black eyed susan!( huge)
Astible
Lilac(unknown colour)
Autumn Joy
Mini Iris

Want list

Dk purple sedum
Purple smoke bush
Any Tall pern
Burgandy plants

Ve e- if you want Shasta I would love some Rose of Sharon

o

Just a reminder for myself - I will be bringing:

1. Portland canna lily root pieces for Sydseeds and Skraps;
2. Yellow potted brug cutting for Amcorrigan; and
3. Del Monte golden pineapple plant for Lana.

I suppose whatever else I bring can then go into the swap circle.

Sydseeds: I love surprises - thank you so much in advance!

Skraps: Thank you for the flowering kales. I would need instruction how to grow them too.

o

Ciao all,

I couldn't resist planting seeds yesterday in the cool, overcast weather. It's my favourite putting-in-the-garden weather and if I had things to transplant, I'd be doing that, too, but I didn't. Anyhow, I noticed that we have a boatload of yarrow volunteers if anyone is interested in those and also plenty of violets. The yarrow is either yellow or white, I'm not sure which, so if you're not picky, it's all yours.

nhoney- I would LOVE a lilac, thank you so much and I should have plenty of tomatoes and peppers for trade. I'm just not sure of the varieties at the moment. There are 9 flats in the garage and they're filled to the gills, which makes it hard to do inventory.

skraps- White Bleeding Hearts for Tomatillos and Basil sounds doable. I know I have at least one extra Tomatillo pair and you need 2 plants for pollination with those. I SHOULD have 3 extra Tomatillo pairs according to my germination records, so you and Muttsfan should be good to go.

nadia smiles- Sure, I can substitute the large-leafed poppy for the peppermint, not a problem. I'm not going to pot things up until Saturday with all this rain.

I'm so pleased so many of you want the everbearing golden raspberries. I've noticed several very healthy volunteers in my tomato bed and it's nice to know they won't end up at curbside.

I have a couple of perennial newbie questions. Is Rose of Sharon the same thing as a Hardy Hibiscus or is that another critter? Mine from last year is way tiny, is this normal? I'm wondering if I should ask for another one and if the one I got was abused by me, inadvertently.

I also got a couple Cannas from Peatpod I think last year and I cut them down to about 3" from the ground like the Peonies in Fall and they've done nothing so far. Was I supposed to dig them up and bring them in for the Winter?

Cheers,
Julianna, perennially clueless in Toronto

o
sydseeds, Sorellina, Nadia and Nicole

• Posted by ve_e 5 or 5b depending on (My Page) on
    Wed, May 17, 06 at 0:45

I love all your ideas for trades and would gladly take whatever you've got on offer.

sydseeds: Lungwort for you, malva for me

Julianna: Rose of Sharon cuttings for golden rasps or poppies

Nadia: Lungwort for turtlehead or anything else you're willing to give me!

Nicole: Rose of Sharon cuttings for Shastas

I'm really looking forward to seeing you all on Monday.

Victoria

o

I am so looking forward to the swap and the "surprise, unspoken for circle" I will bring quite a few for that circle to add to the interest. I am looking forward to finding some hens and chicks(cobwebs or others) and maybe some interesting low sedums(silver?). I also look forward to getting some reading material in the form of old magazines. I am bringing some King Humbert Canna rhyzomes and like I sayd some surprises for the circle. Also I will provide the starter worm bin to the person who asked(don't know your call name).

o

Nicole, could you please let me know if you got my e-mail?
Thanks Marica

o

Euphemia, please, check my trading list (updated and just posted) and let me know if there is anything I could give to you for pink brug.
Mary Anne, I would love some of your astilbe and Sum and Substance Hosta if there is anything you would like to trade these for.

Thanks
Marica

o

Marica:

I am happy to bring you a frosty pink brug. If I give you one of a good size (3 ft.), could I please have a bit of your woodland spiderwort and a Jacob's ladder seedling? Or if you think I am too greedy, in which case I will just take a woodland spiderwort; or if you like, I can trade you a Portland Canna lily seedling for the Jacob's ladder seedling. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Euphemia

o

Ciao Jimmy-Jojo-

I've tried emailing you directly twice..once from California using my mother's email program and I thought it was a problem with her computer, but then I tried you again once I got home here with mine and still I'm having difficulty emailing you directly. Try emailing me from your end and see if that works and I'll reply to it once I get it.

Grazie,
Julianna

o

Ok I have figured out what I would really like and need. Margarite Daisy. The leaves on this daisy are spiky and not at all rounded like the shasta.

o
Cimicifuga Racemosa bugbane snakeroot

Does anyone have any Cimicifuga aka Racemosa aka bugbane aka snakeroot that they want to trade?

Nadia

o

Euphemia, thanks a lot. Wow, that big, 3 ft, I love it. Yes of course Ill give you woodland spiderwort and a Jacob's ladder seedling and whatever else you want that I have. I would also need some instructions on what to do with that beautiful brug, if you do not mind.
Marica

o

My updated list did I miss anything?

sorelinna - I am getting some of your golden raspberry plants and one VERY sweet and tasty tomato plant (your choice). I am bringing you the lovage plant. Anything else?
euphemia - I look forward to the Del Monte golden pineapple plant. What would you like from my trade list?
sydseeds I have tagged for you a few yellow Canna chunks. Would you like some red Canna also? I am going to get the scarlet runner vine and strawberries from you.
nadia_smiles I look forward for the maple tree, and YES, you are absolutely right, I promised you some Polygonum Orientale seeds. . I will also bring you the lovage plant. All that is going to happen at GTA Central/East Tailgate Garden Swap May 22nd (Victoria Day) as I probably wont be able to make it to the one in the West
skraps Ill have the yellow Cannas and the lovage plant for you. I am getting some of your bleeding hearts (white and pink).
ve_e - I am interested in the cedar seedlings. Are they still available? What would you like from my trade list?

I also have quite a few plastic pots and lots of Dahlias. They are beautifull, and I do have too many... Anybody interested?

Please check my trade list:
http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/lanakolo
Lana

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

o
See You at 9:00 a.m. on Monday for the GTA Central/East Tailgater

Lanakolo: The yellow canna's are great in exchange for the strawberries & scarlet runners

Anisten: Can I get some of your King Humber Canna for some of my hens & chicks? I've got lots of gardening magazines I'm bringing so loot thru them before they land in the gamblers circle.

nhoney4family: I'm brining you scarlet runners for your autumn joy sedum - can I also have your blue eyed asiatic in exchange for a clump of my tall phlox??

I leave town tonight (with vehicle loaded) so if I haven't already confirmed any pre-trades with you, please let me know before 8pm so I don't miss anything. Cheers!

See you all at 9 a.m. at the LCBO in Unionville on Monday morning!! WooHoo!

o

Lana:

Are your dahlias the big ones or are they the small type? If they are the small kind, I'd love some. Many thanks.

Cheers,
Euphemia

o

debsz5 I would love dwarf wiegela, if you still have one.

cherylnpickering May I have clematis seedlings if they are any other colour then blue?

sydseeds What can I give you for malva Vulcan?

amcorrigan Could you trade Obedient Plant (white flowers) and Castor Bean Plant?
lanakolo Do you want to trade yours Dahlias (peach, white)?

nadia_smiles (already proposed trade through email) gets from me rooted Euonymus evergreen vine, periwinkle aka myrtle aka vinca or other groundcover, 1-2 very small seedlings of: Lobelia 'Crystal Palace', Lobelia Trailing Sapphire, Verbena, Columbine Double Light Blue , Columbine Long Spurred Mixed and a division or two of Lobelia Siphilitica in exchange for herb seedlings, 1-2 of each (Italian parsley seedlings, Oregano seedlings, Cilantro seedlings, Thai basil or lemon basil seedlings or Purple basil seedlings), whichever you could spare.

These are confirmed trades so far (please correct me if got something wrong or am missing something):
1. skraps gets from me: Rose Moss small clump of seedlings, Geranium Cabaret Salmon 2-3 seedlings, Geranium Cabaret White 2-3 seedlings, Common Delphinium small clump of seedlings, Delphinium 'Pacific Giants' small clump of seedlings, Clematis Radar Love small clump of seedlings, Columbine Double Light Blue small clump of seedlings, Hollyhock 'Chaters Double Mixed' or Hollyhock 'Double Mixed' 1-2 plugs, Tatarian Dogwood small clump of seedlings, Smoke Bush either rooted or fresh cuttings or both, Hosta Undulata Albo-marginata few divided plants, and plants from CALLALILLY (Mila) in exchange for Solomon Seal, White Bleeding Hearth, Hosta-frances Williams, Pink Bee Balm.

2. nbhoney4family gets from me Hot paprika seedlings, 1-2 of each and smoke bush either rooted or fresh cuttings or both in exchange for Asiatic lily -Blue eyes.

3. Euphemia gets from me Woodland spiderwort division and Jacob's Ladder 'Apricot Delight' (Polemonium caeruleum) seedlings in exchange for Frosty pink Brugmansia 3 ft high seedling

4. mutts_fan gets from me Lungworth in exchange for Astilbe chinesis Pumila

Sydseeds, do you mind telling me how do you get either bold or coloured letters in your posts?

o

< font color = blue> < b> Marica < /font>< /b> (just remove that first space between the < and the first letter/symbol) - when I do that, I get blue and bold, as noted below:
Marica : My vulcan's are very slow to germinate and I've only got 1 pot of them thus far - maybe the rain is slowing them down.

o

nebypera I am happy to trade a castor bean plant and some white obedient plant for some Woodland Spiderwort if you still have some left to trade.

AM

PS just thought I would try the colours!

o

nhoney4family I would love to trade some of my Dahlias for your autumn joy sedum

euphemia my Dahlias are quite big - 5' to 7'

nebypera (Marica) I would very much like to trade some of my Dahlias (peach and white) for your Winter-creeper Euonymus

Lana

o

I am hoping to attend the swap but I'm not really looking for anything in particular. I will be bringing
2 - Choc. Mint
2 - Lysimachia - Fire Cracker
1 - Euphorbia - Cushion Spurge
1 - Clematis Alpina Constance
2 - Varigated Catmint - Tiny
6 - Ornamental Pumpkins
3 - Ruby Moon Hyacinth Bean Vine
5 - Red Canna
3 - Castor Bean
6 - Malva Zebrina
See you all there,
Elaine from Bath (near Kingston)

o

Okay I must make a correction, sorry I mentioned the wrong type of Canna they are actually an unamed yelow/orange flower with green leaves 5-8 feet tall. Is this fine Mutts and Sydseeds?

o

Fri, May 19, 06 at 12:55

YOU GO GIRL: I would really like on of your Clematis Alpina Constance .. Thanks

o

Skraps, it's yours. It has a small deep purple/pink nodding flower.

I will be leaving for Pickering after school today, so I won't be able to check to see if anyone else wants anything. Please just ask at the swap.
Thanks
Elaine

o

Skraps: The big blue delphinium that I went to dig out for you is a gonner. Maybe they only come back for so long - it was so pretty the last three summers - I did winter sow some seeds from it that are nothing but seedlings at this point (and I will bring for you but cannot accept anything in exchange as I don't know if they will come true to the mother plant.)

You Go Girl: So glad you're coming to the swap!

Anisten : Sounds just fine with me.

Sorellina: I went on a hunt for some clematis layerings from last summer & fall but I think the chipmunks feasted on most of them over the winter. If any do appear, I'll hold some for the fall swap - they'll be more mature by then to cut away from the mother plants at that time.

o

Ciao all-

It's been kind of challenging to tour the garden with all this rain, but I think by Sunday, I should have no problems potting up everything. No one so far has shown any interest in the yarrow and strawberries, so if I don't hear from people by Sunday, I'll leave the divisions for another day.

lanakolo- I was hoping to get some of your dahlias, any colour, I'm not picky.

yougogirl- Thanks for coming and piping up with what you're bringing. I hope you have enough clematis, especially now since sydseeds lost a lot of hers due to hungry chipmunks. Look through my list and see if there's something there that appeals to you.

sydseeds- You mentioned gladiolas and hydrangea at one point. Do you have them still or did they all go to eager swappers early on? I'd take those in place of the clematis. They don't need to be dug up in Fall or anything right? Remember, the more low maintenance with me and perennials, the better, lol. I'm good with tomato and eggplant seedlings, but over-wintered plants and houseplants are doomed.

Cheers,
Julianna

o

nadia_smiles gets from me periwinkle, Woodland spiderwort Lobelia Siphilitica, 1-2 very small seedlings of: Lobelia 'Crystal Palace', Lobelia Trailing Sapphire, Verbena, Columbine Double Light Blue, Columbine Long Spurred Mixed in exchange for herb seedlings, 1-2 of each (Italian parsley seedlings, Oregano seedlings, Cilantro seedlings, Thai basil or lemon basil seedlings or Purple basil seedlings).

amcorrigan gets from me Woodland Spiderwort in exchange for white Obedient Plant and Castor Bean Plant.

Lanakolo gets from me rooted Euonymus evergreen vine in exchange for peach and white Dahlias.

o

Fri, May 19, 06 at 17:21

sydseeds: Not to worry about the blue delphinium . Actually nebypera is also bringing me some . I will bring your plants don't worry about it. You deserve them for all your hard work.

o

Sydseeds thank you for instructions, I got it after several attempts. Is there anything you want from my list for your chameleon plant or glads or pink shrub rose?

Does anybody have a tomato that I grow in a pot?

o

nebypera : Clematis seedlings I have are lavender blue are are from C.heracleifolia ...they ramble and are not climbers.

Cheryl

o

Ciao nebypera-

I MAY have a small determinate or dwarf tomato extra for you. I need to do my inventory tomorrow or Sunday. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Julianna

o

Ciao all-

I've completed my inventory and the news is very good. Today was the first day the tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, and basil got a dose of full sun. I'm grateful that tomorrow is slated to be cloudy and maybe even a bit rainy because they should bounce back nicely by Monday.

In addition to the divisions I've already arranged for people, these are the warm-weather veggies and herbs from my inventory:

laine2-I've got either a sweet or hot pepper for you and a large bicolour tomato called Lucky Cross or some basil.

sydseeds-I set aside the only extra cherry tomato for you. It's called Galina's, it's yellow, and there are 2 plants of it.

nadia-You've got a lovely ornamental hot chili pepper called Little Elf.

lanakolo-I found 2 extra black tomatoes and potted up a large slicer called Black Krim for you. It's looking a tad shocky so if it's still looking on the sad side, I'll pot up Black Plum, a semi-determinate small plum for you, great for drying.

muttsfan-I've got some sweet basil and a tomatillo pair set aside for you.

skraps-I've got genovese basil and a tomatillo pair set aside for you as well.

nhoney-I've got a lovely pink salad tomato for you called Eva Purple Ball. If that's not to your liking, I'll be bringing a few others as well.

nebypera-I found a determinate tomato for you called Silvery Fir Tree. It's got lovely spreading fern-like foliage and the fruit are somewhat early, about 4-6 oz, round red tangy, perfect for salads. I'd love some of your clematis or hollyhocks for it.

I decided to go ahead and bring the yarrow anyhow, and I've got lots of extra raspberries.

I'll be bringing a tomato called Giraffe. It's a long keeping tomato, so what you do is just kind of ignore it for the bulk of the growing season and then pick them green at the end of the season, put them in your root cellar wrapped in newspaper, and let them ripen. A guy who grows these has had ripe tomatoes through February. It's my first year growing them and I'm way excited. Another one I'll be bringing is a green-when-ripe called Grub's Mystery Green. It's from a guy in Australia who noticed it growing on one of his Cherokee Purples. It's also a first time grow-out for me but it's supposedly a full-flavoured beefsteak and his pictures over the winter had me salivating.

Let me know if there are any last-minute requests. Tomorrow promises to be another full gardening day.

Cheers,
Julianna

o

sorellina: I had just a few seedlings of Clematis Radar Love and these are gone, but will bring you hollyhock seedlings.

o

Nebypera - yes I have 1 weigela left which I'll tag for you.

Lanakolo - do you have any red, white or peach dahlias left?

Sydseeds - do you know what heucheras you'd like or would you prefer to wait and see? I have green leaved with red markings and also some with silver/purple leaves. Have 2-3 of each.

Am also bringing:

Eupatorium purpureum - Joe Pye weed
Euphorbia - name? Tall red with lime green flower bracts
Fallopia japonica 'Variegata'
Clematis jouiniana praecox - groundcover clematis
Rudbeckia
Purple iris - name? unbearded.
Forget-me-nots
Lobelia 'Sparkle DeVine' - magenta cardinal flower
Green kiwi vine - bought as male but hasn't variegated so suspect may be female?

Looking forward to tomorrow - glad I checked the time and place again - had the wrong time AND location in my head!

Debs

o

Debs Thank you very much. What would you like in return? I would love to have almost everything you are going to bring (Eupatorium, Euphorbia, Clematis jouiniana praecox, Lobelia 'Sparkle DeVine', Green kiwi vine) especially Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' but do not know what do you want or like. Please, check my trading list and let me now if there is anything there for you.
Marica

o

Hi Marica, I will mark those items for you.
A foxglove would be great if you have a spare, also any stonecrop and maybe a sumac tree?

Thanks
Debs

o

That is great Debs,thank you so much. I'll transplant some foxglove seedlings tonight and dig up sumac and stonecrop in the morning.

o

Debs,

I'd also like a clematis if there's something of mine that piques your interest. I'll have some extra tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, and poppies.

See you all tomorrow,
Julianna

o
Lana --- cedars are yours!

• Posted by ve_e 5 or 5b depending on (My Page) on
    Sun, May 21, 06 at 22:22

Hi there .. sorry I didn't respond sooner, never enough time to use the computer. I will make sure you get the cedars, noticed today that one may have been run over by the lawn mower one too many times .. but there should be 3 good ones. Don't worry about trading anything specific, I'll take a look at your goodies tomorrow .. I need to get rid of the cedars so it doesn't really matter if I get anything in trade or not. :)

o

Julianna - I'm so sorry - I only had the one clematis!

Debs

o

Hi All:

It's now 4:22 p.m. and I have only just come inside for a break - my back is warning me already!

Karen and Mary Anne, a million thanks to you two for organizing another successful swap. I am sure everyone appreciates all the hard work you put in.

I'd also like to thank all the other GardenWebbers for the generous trades I have. I particularly enjoyed the friendship that was commonly around!

Please take good care until we meet again!

Meanwhile, happy gardening!

Euphemia

o

HI! Just wanted to say THANKS to all! See you in the fall!

Nicole

o

Despite the cold, it was a great day; much of the afternoon was spent moving pots from one part of the garden to another trying to find the right fit.

Thank you Karen and Mary Anne for organizing the swap, consider me an addict now. I am already planning on what to put aside for the next one.

Thanks to all the traders for the generous trades and the interesting plants. I am sure to be growing things that I hadn't imagined.

Have a wonderful summer.

AM

o

I want to thank all of you to for the amazing trades, although the weather sucks it is perfect weather for transplanting. Sorry we had to skip of my hubby and grandson were frozen . But not to cold to go to the Airport and watch the planes take off.(lol) My grandson had a blast loves to plant. Hubby got all my trees and bushes planted. On the other hand I'm still planting. Looking forward to all my beautiful blooms . Got to take pictures this summer and try to figure out how to post them (sigh).
Look forward to see you all in the fall.

o

Thank you very much for another great swap Sydseeds, and thank you all for the wonderful plants. Have a great gardening season.
Marica

o
Thank you all!

Thanks so much to the organizers! And thank you to everyone that participated. It was great to see so many familiar faces and so many new faces. I had a great time...and so did my mom, my uncle, my friend, his puppies, and my neighbour. I'll see you all in the fall. Happy planting!

Nadia

o

Another thanks for a great swap. check out the link for some pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: East GTA Plant Swap

o
Victoria Day swap was a great success!!

Thanks to everyone who came and participated. We had a great turnout and met lots of like minded new friends. I love my new plants!! I got lots of stuff I know nothing about so lots of surprises coming soon eg mini pumpkin, tomatillos.
A special thanks to Sydseeds the enabler -wooohoooo!!! SYDSEED ROCKS!!!! You are the best - always so generous with your time (reading everyone's postings, answering questions) and your plants (awesome gifts from you from past swaps are a constant rooted reminder of your kindness)

Everyone, please start getting ready for the Fall swap. Cherylinpickering will scout out a location and I will start the thread sometime this summer. Take care everyone, nice seeing you all again and let's get busy in the garden!
Get out the Sunblock, water bottle and mosquito repellant everyone!

Cheers
Mary Anne

o

Ciao all,

I hope everyone had a great day out in the garden today. I know it's a back to work day for most people, but my goodness, what glorious weather to be outside. Thanks to all of you for such interesting trades and also for your knowledge and wisdom regarding perennials. I have SO much to learn about them still, thanks for your patience in answering my newbie questions.

Tristan grabbed some things from the middle circle which I have no clue regarding the names of the plants or what sort of care they need, so as soon as I'm able, I'm hoping to post some pictures of them for ID.

I'm so excited about all the lilacs! They're small, but I know they'll fill that space nicely and I can't wait to discover what colours they turn out to be.

I put the dahlias in full sun and just barely covered the root/tuber/rhizome thingies. I hope that's what they need.

Tomatoes/eggplants/peppers/tomatillos/basil all got a full day outside and tomorrow will be their first major dose of full sun. I'm hoping to get them in the ground before the weekend.

Duane finished 2 additional tomato beds as a birthday present for me and got all the 8' stakes in this morning. The soaker hoses are all in place and now it's just a matter of waiting a few days for the plants to get fully hardened off.

Big hugs to all of you, I wish the weather had been more pleasant but it was still a very fun event and thanks again to sydseeds for organizing the swap and for everyone's wonderful enthusiasm and generosity.

Get planting everyone!!

Julianna

o
Tomato Guarder = Borage

Hey all,

Whoever I gave the "tomato guarder" plant to (I gave it to your husband)...I now remember the name. The plant is called borage and it guards against tomato worms. I hope it works for ya!

Nadia

o

Nadis:

That was me thanks very much . I really appreciate you letting me know . See in the fall

o

Hi Friends:

Believe it or not, I am yet to finish planting all the goodies I got from the swap.

I would appreciate help identifying a couple of plants I got from the swap circle. One is about 1.5 ft. tall with purplish leaves. The other is about a foot tall with light green and white varigated leaves, with a tinge of pink along the edge. Does anyone recall seeing them and know what they are, or would the original owners of the plants give me some idea? Many thanks indeed!

o

Any thoughts on doing this again?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here