Here we can all have our say--

And non gardening stuff too, that we shouldn't really

post on the other forums.

So, here we are!

Faith

Comments (9)

• Crafty Gardener
    20 years ago

I visit the Northern Gardening forum also. I find that there are a lot of posters there from the USA, and some of them aren't nearly as north as some Canadians are. I belong to a couple of other Canadian gardening forums, one on Yahoo and one on MSN. The conversations on this board are picking up a bit, I think that many of us forgot about coming here.

• nanatina
    20 years ago

I have my daily rounds of GW. Here, Northern gardening, Far North, Plant propagation, seed starting, wintersowing, Houseplants. I've spent a lot more time in the houseplants forum this yr as that is what I do all winter. the gardening forums arent really that applicable to me in the winter. Winter sowing of course, but then there are so many southern us wintersowers and a lot is not applicable to us northerners.

I have noticed even zone 7 people frequenting the northern forum - thats just weird. What could they possibly learn there?? don't you find it a little odd that if you look on the forums main page Northern and Far north are posted under canadian, but there are more americans there sometimes than canadians!!

Anyhow, a lot of the forums are rather seasonal for us Canadians. But I still wonder where all the canadians are - there are so few in the forums I frequent that I can almost list them all. Maybe there are just a lot of lurkers who don't post.
    Or maybe they just don't have as much free time on their hands as I seem to..

Faith, it was certainly you that inspired me to check in here once in a while. My post requesting more forums has been pretty much nayed by Spike so here we are - all of us in this one forum!!

• sydseeds
    20 years ago

nanatina - you said "But I still wonder where all the canadians are - there are so few in the forums I frequent that I can almost list them all. Maybe there are just a lot of lurkers who don't post. Or maybe they just don't have as much free time on their hands as I seem to.."

I'm new here so I was thinking perhaps alot of Canadians GW'ers may simply migrated to the south in the winter and thought maybe I'd see a "spike" in posts with more Canadians posting when the robins and geese return? Does that happen in the spring? Is there a jump in the number of Canadian gardeners posting in the late spring and summer months? Cheers,

• Crafty Gardener
    20 years ago

There are more and more Canadians coming out and posting now. I really think if we had our own Canadian Gardening forum with more than one page then we would see lots more join in.

• naturelle
    20 years ago

Well, I'll try to drop by more often. I have a lot of interests, not only on GW, so I spread myself thin. I have spent a lot of time in catching up with the archives of my favourite forums, and now it's maintenance and trying to stay up with the current posts.

Currently, I have been researching light stands and lighting systems. I'm thinking about building a better stand than I have now, and have come up with some ideas.

I am also building several self watering containers. I have been communicating with the legendary Tom Tremont (aka dreamster), who grew 11 feet tomato plants (50 lbs.)in Ohio last year, and we exchanged ideas. He's going for 14' this year, by putting his container on a piano dolly, so he could wheel it in and out of his garage early in the year and using an aquarium heater in the reservoir.

I would have to believe that gardeners in our climate have a particular interest in either or both of these subjects.

• ingami
    Original Author
    20 years ago

naturelle,
    That is a very interesting post,and it sounds like you
    are on to some very good ideas.
    I like the idea of having large containers on a dolly
    so you could wheel it in and out, very handy indeed.

And yes, a lot of gardeners here would certainly have
    an interest in this kind of thing.

I know all about trying to catch up on the archives of
    forums- sometimes it takes while!

I think if more Canadians start coming here, well- and/or
    the Far North forum for instance, they might see more
    and more subjects in the posts that they find interesting.
    More people, more variety in ideas and thoughts in the
    posts--

Faith

• Crafty Gardener
    20 years ago

I have a plant dolly for my biggest pot that is by my front door. It is great as I can push it out when it rains for instant watering.

• naturelle
    20 years ago

If an one is interested, I posted a followup message in the Growing from Seed forum re Wanted, Reasonable Heat Source, concerning my makeshift bottom heat solution. It has worked extremely well, and is still getting me good results. It's makeshift, because i did not want to get into heating mats, etc.

I took all of my chili peppers off the heat and dome, because some of the seeds in the flat had germinated, but in the past couple of weeks, the ungerminated cells did nothing. I returned them to the bottom heat and dome two days ago, and nice seedlings today. It teaches me to use this as my sole propagation method for difficult slow seeds, even if it means splitting or transplanting the flat contents.

• Crafty Gardener
    19 years ago

I haven't been by the forums for quite a while. So this morning I'm making the rounds and catching up on the various messages.