Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nattyd_gw

So how many flats do you have on the go so far?

NattyD
19 years ago

Just wondering if anyone else out there has gone a little crazy (a little early!) like me... are there any other gardeners out there who have seeds on the go? I've been building up my "collection" since early february - have 20 flats going so far (and increasing daily, yes I know I'm a freak!)... What are you growing? How's it growing? Any cool unusuals? I've been very happy to get some dierama pulcherrimum this year - no sprouts yet tho. It's a great little bit of spring inside to have these everywhere (and my DH has been very goodnatured about losing so much space! hehe) Can anyone else commisserate?!

Comments (5)

• keiaraa
    19 years ago

Oh I have, I started planting on the first of March. So far I have 8 9-cell trays (6 outside, 2 in), a few waterbottles (2 out, 1 in), and a plastic pastry container planted so far.
    Sprouted so far: 3 cascadia peas, 3 Peaches and Cream hollyhocks, 9 Daddy Mixed petuinas, and 2 carrots. Those are from the indoor containers. The hollyhocks ought to have taken 14-21 days to germinate but came up in 4.

My list of what I'm planning to plant is too long to post but what is planted so far are the above plants along with temptation strawberry, Hershey pepper, Super Roma tomato, Gardener's delight tomato, Purple Prince tomato, mixed morning glories, basil, parsley, and some other floweres whose names escape me at the moment.

My only unusual plants (for me at any rate) are Lumina pumpkin, Sugar Baby watermelon, golden berry fruit, Strawberry corn, birdhouse gourd, Hershey pepper, and some giant sunflowers. I can't wait to plant these (few more weeks, just a few more weeks...).

I'm winter-sowing more trays and bottles today.

Whee! ;)

• Persian_Shield
    18 years ago

I to have gone a little crazy,i have 8 flats started 7 out and one in. it keeps get larger and larger,the most unusual plants so far are tree peonies and blue rodos thay seem to be doing realy good.

• gordonf
    18 years ago

I have about 6 or 7 flats started and mostly doing well. I have 28 tomato plants just put into separate pots (3 varieties: Black Krim, Iidi and Padova). Also, there are 3 flats of coleus, one flat with cuttings from last year's favourites and the other 2 with new seedlings. I'm trying for ones with a lot of yellow in the leaves but not having much luck. But I do have one rather small and weak one with almost completely black leaves. Probably the colour is why it's not growing very fast (not enough chlorophyl),but it seems healthy. I also have lots of baby primulas of 3 kinds. Two sets are in the cold frame as they are from last year, and the others are auriculas from this year. I got the seeds from France and had quite poor germination so I'm watching the plants I did get really closely.

For unusuals, I have seedlings of things I collected in parks and nurseries locally. They didn't care if I collected seeds, so I went wild! Now I have red yuccas, pineapple lilies, phormiums, pearly whites (a local wildflower) and eryngium agavafolium.I also have 3 different kinds of penstemons, but while growing, they're very slow and tiny. Let's hope at least some of them survive!

• ladybug6a
    16 years ago

I too have gone crazy...I do this every year. i have about 40 flats; large pots: brugmansia, Amarantus blue (looking for the white one next year)many flowering maples, pineapple ect. Too many.... Lots of vegetables and for some strange reason many annuals this year.
    I envy your red yucca Gordon, I,ve never seen a red one, only white.
    You are no freck Naddy. When you garden you are either in it or not.

• trishthegardenmom
    16 years ago

I think my Dh is about to have me committed! lol. I have more seeds started in the back yard than I did last year. Mostly in pop bottles but also in varying other containers. I still have some annuals that I would like to start for containers and fillers around the yard. Oh ya and I also still have to start some vegies too...oh my what ever will I do??? :O)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions