Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artbysheryl

my daughter

sheryl_ontario
20 years ago

My daughter went off to bible College in another city last fall. It was her first year and we sure have missed her. She told us yesterday that she's staying down there and working and living there. She's not coming home! She went away to school and just never came back! I'm in shock! She has been asked to share a house with some other girls and says there are lots of jobs there for her. She's looking now.

We told her she can always come home if it doesn't work out. She can just call us and we'll fly her home anytime but it doesn't look like its going to happen. If she gets a job right away, she won't even be coming home for a visit when school is out. We were hoping she'd come home for a week or so after school and we could get her a job lined up here and maybe she'd stay for the summer. But it doesn't even look like that's going to happen. My sweet little girl is gone! She just moved away and I'll never see her again!

I miss her terribly already just knowing she's not coming home! I was so looking forward to seeing her after school. She has exams next week, then she's done.

At least my son's going to live at home while he goes to university here, for the first couple of years anyway. He'll go away to law school as soon as he can get in. Then they'll both be gone.

I knew it was coming and have really been looking forward to having no kids at home and less responsibility in that area, but its still kind of a shock when it happens!

Comments (3)

• Crazy_Gardener
    20 years ago

Sounds like your daughter is spreading her wings and is on the right path.....this is one thing I will never experience, because I've never had children. I'm sure your heart is aching.

Hugs
    Sharon

• ingami
    20 years ago

Sheryl,
    I can only imagine how you feel- but I have two boys,
    10 & 12, and I know I have many growing up experiences
    ahead of me in the future. And it won't be that long-
    the years go by so fast, don't they?
    You can be sure your daughter will come home for visits,
    but I can understand how you must feel right now, thinking
    she would be coming home perhaps to live and work,etc.
    I don't blame you for feeling like you are in shock.
    As Sharon said, she is spreading her wings and I'm sure
    she is on the right path, it sounds like you have raised
    her well, and she's on the "right road" so I'm sure
    you don't have to worry, but that doesn't stop the pain
    a parent feels, I know.

I remember way, ( way? !! ) back when I left home to work
    in Edmonton, I was fortunate enough to start out living
    with a cousin, his wife and kids. I needed that, I'll
    tell you, I was "straight off the farm". But Mom and Dad
    had raised me well- and I made out fine. I say though,
    the first job I got was one where I had the midnight shift
    and had to take the bus, and Mom told me she prayed every
    single night for my safety- thanks Mom!
    And because it was only a 1 1/2 hour drive from home, I did
    get home quite often, although I usually took the train
    which thankfully still ran in those days. But you know
    what? There was no phone at home at the farm in those days, ( no, I'm not "that" old, but they waited for
    the good farm phone lines to go in--in the 70's )
    But still it worked out.

And it will work out for your daughter too-
    Give her a call this weekend if she doesn't call you
    and tell her you love her- as though I have to add that!

My thoughts are with you-
    Hugs!
    Faith

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

Remember when you, yourself left the nest? It's the way of things. Your daughter was lucky enough to have a fine home and parents. I'm sure she will grow in the right direction. This is nature's way and we must adjust.

You know your daughter will return home again. Seek other interests now while you have your son around.

I had six children and while one is away (she's a doctor) the others are within driving distance. I'm a widow and would be devestated if I never saw my children. It's hard enough only seeing my daughter at holidays. But I realize they each have their own lives now and I am not at the center of it. That is life and I have many interests to keep my mind on now.

Nancy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions