Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadia_smiles

2007 WEST Tailgate Swap: Sunday May 27, 2007

nadia_smiles
17 years ago

One day, we're going to have to have an "East meets West" tailgate swap. Or maybe just a gardening party. With booze. :)

Here are the details of the West swap, conveniently cut and pasted from Sydseeds' post. Thanks Sydseeds!

1. This swap is a tailgater (meaning trading out of our vehicle trunks in a pre-determined empty parking lot).

2. No sales allowed.

3. Pre-arranged trades ahead of time most welcome (via individual emails or by posting here).

4. Any garden-related living or inanimate object welcome at the trade (so not just seed packets and plants, but old tools, extra fertilizer, old garden books/magazines, compost, etc. - anything garden-related is most welcome especially if you are new to these swaps and are just starting out but don't have a lot of plants/perennials to divide up and swap).

5. The swap circle is where we randomly place one (or 10) items in the cirlce which enables us to take one (or 10) items in exchange. This is the circle where you'll find things you never knew you wanted/needed and no one goes home until the circle is empty...that's the rule.

6. Location TBD: suggestions welcome!

7: Time: 9 am to 11 am (rain or shine)

Comments (47)

• saralee
    17 years ago

Nadia, you mentioned a date of Sunday, May 27 for the West Swap at 9 am - 11 am rain or shine? I'm game for that! Listen, I was thinking with Spring and all the school sales/church sales/baseball games etc. all those parking lots may be taken.

There is a huge parking lot BEHIND Kipling-Queensway Mall, namely directly behind the Zellers store there that is way underutilized and you could park an army of cars if needed.

That might be an ideal location. It's accessible by highway (QEW at KIPLING - Take North exit, quick right on the Queensway and you are there) so that's a thought and I know we won't run into any surprises there.

Why don't we go with this date and see how it goes?

• saralee
    17 years ago

Nadia, I am in the process of letting others know about this. Since many (including me!) are new to this, are there any rules we should know about as to what the proper trading etiquette is for an event such as this?

I know you've been to exchanges before so any clarification you can post here would benefit us newbies! I appreciate your doing this again this year too!

If anyone has any other ideas to location, please feel free to let us know!

Thanks....

• saralee
    17 years ago

Whoops, ok I guess I should learn to read a little bit better...LOL.

I know you have posted some rules above so am I right in assuming that:

1) you can make arrangements with others in advance to trade whatever you want as one option and do this at the swap,

2) and that whatever we want to put out into "the circle" that is how many plants/items you can take back?

3) People may trade other items such gardening tools/books/compost etc.?

4) People may trade seeds/bulbs, clippings, etc. as well?

Should people try to arrive by a certain time so they don't miss out or is it just join in and start participating as you get there?

If there are any other rules, or if I misunderstood any of that, do advise here in this forum of course as I'm sure other newbies may have the similar questions. I just want to understand fully myself as I am asking others to participate and don't want to hand out the wrong information, with this being new to me and likely to many others. I know the info may be posted elsewhere on this site but time may be a factor for many so best if we get clarification for our swap here.

I am spreading the word and referring people to this site and asking them to post any questions they may have here and so that we can get an idea about how many are interested and will attend, and what kind of plants/flowers etc. people have to trade and so on.

I think this will be an interesting and exciting event and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks again for letting me know about this and for getting this west end swap going!

Sara

• wildflwer_2
    17 years ago

Hi saralee!
    I have been to some of the swap meets, and it was lots of fun. I got home with all kinds of beautiful plants.
    One thing you can do is, to list some of the plants you have to trade, and if someone is interested in them they can post it, and you save it for that person.
    I have lots of peonies and some Heirloom tomatoes. if anyone wants some I will bring them.
    I have light pink, hot pink, and white, also single dinner plate peonies in light pink.
    I also have Perennial flox in hot pink, white and lavander purple. the heirloom tomatoes I have are many to name. I have 2 or 3 in apot, if someone wants to try them.
    I am looking for bearded Iris, any colour, and any shadeloving perennials.
    I Love perennials so I have a good assortment, if anyone wants some I will bring a few diffent varieties.

• saralee
    17 years ago

Hiya Wildflower...when I said I was a newbie I wasn't kidding. I don't even know the names of most plants/flowers in my garden!

I have peonies and what I believe are called orange day lillies, they're just poking through now and I have lots of both. I have these plants that grow to be quite tall 5-6 ft. with yellow daisy like flowers on top...I really love those. I grow them in clusters and they are good as a privacy screen if you have a chain link fence too.

I'll be happy to receive anything different. I love daffodils and those double headed tulips for Spring, and anything with colour really...I'm short on summer plants (like zero short!) and certainly can do with Fall and winter plants (I'm not even sure what winter plants would be, never had any!) I'm really after perennials of any kind for any season I guess. I am not picky at this point!

Sure hope to see a good turnout!

• trishthegardenmom
    16 years ago

Hi!
    I would really like to participate. This swap seems to be the closest to me right now. I did want to ask as far as size of plants what is expected. A lot of my plants seedlings that I would like to swap are not very big right now, so just wondering??
    Has a location been set and is it still the 27th of May as the set date?
    Thanks in advance,

Trish

• saralee
    16 years ago

Hi Trish, Nadia is organizing this and I am new to this too...afraid I don't really know my plants (and I'm sure I've mistaken many for weeds and chucked them too) but hey, I just bought a good book and hopefully I will get to actually have names for what I have...my garden is young, and I'm going to just pot what I do have and bring it along...I figure there isn't much I can do about controlling how big the plants get by then...most things are just budding in my garden. As I said I don't have much, my garden is young, but I do have a few varieties like hostas, peonies, some kind of sage flowering plant, white, I have this plant that I thought was a daylily but I think it's more like an Iris type plant..(told you I didn't know my plants) and probably a few more varieties in there too that will be "surprises" or maybe someone will know at a glance what they are.

I'm not picky...I am interested in anything, preferably a flowering perennial, both low to the ground and otherwise.

I don't know if the swap date or time will change. We'll just have to see how it turns out I guess.

I'm spreading the word to just about anyone I know with a garden that I feel may be interested, and to women at the schools that my kids attend. Whether they come or not is anyone's guess but I'm planning on being there!!!

• orchid420
    16 years ago

Hi

You can count me in again.
    I'll be bringing some seedlings I'm starting, some extra fertilizer and gardening whatnot that I have, and a couple of divisions from the garden.

I'll post better details soon.

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Trish,

Welcome to Garden Web!
    If you mostly have seedlings to swap, just be sure to mention that to the person that you're swapping with. People might prefer to trade a few seedlings for a fully-established plant.

Yes, the swap date is still May 27. I haven't heard any suggestions regarding location, so unless I hear from anyone soon, we're going to set the swap location to the only one suggested so far in this posting.

Thanks!
    Nadia

• trishthegardenmom
    16 years ago

Hi All!

I look forward to the swap. I think I have at least a few things I can trade. I look forward to meeting you all.
    Thanks and have a great gardening weekend!

Trish

• sorellina
    16 years ago

Ciao all-

I am SO happy there is an additional swap happening the weekend AFTER Victoria Day Weekend as we cannot attend that one! Yay! Once again, I'll have lots of tomatoes to bring as well as basils. New for me this year, I'll be bringing daylily divisions, hosta divisions, strawberries, raspberries, lilies of the valley, and columbine.

What I'm really hoping to find this year are peonies and lilacs. I'll always take people's sunflowers if any of you have extras. Wildflower, if you're interested in trading some of your heirloom tomatoes for different kinds, I'd love to see your list.

We'll be bringing Munchkin again and he's got some things of his own to trade. He'll be looking for any non-perennial, short or dwarf plants for his garden. Veggies are his first choice, but he loves flowers too.

We also have LOTS of extra nursery pots and yogurt cups we've saved for young seedlings. I do hope some of you will be interested in those!

Cheers,
    Julianna

• sorellina
    16 years ago

Ciao again all-

Ok, major oops on my part. I was so happy and excited about this, ran outside to tell Duane and he informed me that we've got a bake sale and fund raiser at our church on that Sunday. We can't make the Victoria Day swap because we won't have Munchkin that weekend. So I'm in a dilemma. I'd really like to attend one of these and Munchkin looks forward to them too. Is there is ANY possibility of changing this date to the Saturday instead of the Sunday? We can't miss the fund raiser because Munchkin's a part of it. He's working with our pastor to raise money for renovations for the parish by selling faith-based crafts the kids make.

Cheers,
    Julianna

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

I can only come on Sunday May 27, I am a florist so I am busy on Saturday. I have lots of peonies in many colours, if anyone wants to trade with anything, I also have shasta daisies, black eyed susans, white phlox, Tiger lilies. I have started tons of different annuals from my seed trade, so I have lots extras. I will bring a bunch of those, and of course the Heirloom tomatoes.
    I can trade with anything, that I know I dont have. mostly perennials, if possible.
    Of other vegetables, I have chilli peppers.

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

I have not seen any more posts on the swap meet, so I assume that it will be held on the Kipling Queensway mall. I will be attending, I hope more will come. See you there.

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how to attach a map to this website, so if you need a map to the swap location, email me and I'll email you back a map.
    The swap will indeed be held behind the Zellers located East of Kipling and South of the Queensway.

To get there from the Gardiner Expressway,
    go north on Kipling
    make a quick right on the Queensway (you'll see a Sportcheck on the East side and a TD bank on the West side)
    make another quick right into the mall with the Sobey's, sport check, and Zellers.
    We'll meet behind the Zellers, beside the snow removal trucks and in front of the blue doors/walls (if you're in the right place, you'll see what I mean).

I'll be there a bit early (8:45) with my trunk open. The swap starts at 9.

Here's the mapquest website and the Zellers address:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/main.adp?formtype=address

Zellers in The Kipling Queensway Mall
    1255 The Queensway
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    M8Z 1S1
    (416) 252-5475

Please email me if you have any questions! See you all there!

Nadia

• laine2
    16 years ago

Hi Nadia good for you to take over the West end Swap
    I'll try to get to it. Going to Markam Monday Marlene
    is trying to get a swap together for our Area(Kawartha
    Lakes region so I'll spread the word on Mon about yours
    & Marlenes June is her plan will post when more info
    comes my way. Hope to see you soon Happy Gardening Elaine

• Mari11
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone,
    I'd like to participate too (hopefully my husband will have time to drive me there!)

I have for trade:
    Daylilies:
    Strawberry Candy (a few)
    Janice Brown (a few)
    Moonlit Masquerad (1)
    Flutterbye (1)
    Cherry Cheeks (1 or 2)
    also hybrids from good parents (seeds bought from Lily Auction), but colours are not known, 3 in a pot (3 pots).

Black currant (2 plants in a pot) -11 pots.

Lots of different Sedums (groundcovering).

I'd like to get:

Peonies -any colours
    Bleeding heart -any colour
    Lilies -hardy, bright colours (I'd like Tiger Lily).

If anyone wants to make arangement for trade, please, post here or contact me by email: marina12@rogers.com.

See you soon!

Marina.

• saralee
    16 years ago

Hi all, I'm interested in Phlox, Daisies, Lillies, Ferns and black eyed susans too--mostly looking for summer flowering perennials at this point and cuttings would be great too. If anyone has a small bush cuttings I love flowering bushes or plants with coloured leaves.

I've always wanted to grow pussy willows so if anyone has a cutting or could tell me how I'd love that. I have never seen them sold anywhere.

That's kind of what I aspire to get over the years for my garden. I have a huge empty green grass lot right now so it's like an easel waiting for some paint!!!

Now for what I have--I have peonies, fall sedums in purple I believe, and a few other varieties of perennial flowers of which, to date, I have no name for, and which I'll bring. I may have a couple of small hostas too. I definitely have orange day lillies if anyone wants those too.

I have a snowball plant/bush which, if I can dig it out, I'll bring too. They grow to be a good 5 feet tall and product large white flowers.

I have lots of tall green plants with nice thin leaves which flower a lovely yellow daisy-like flower around late summer--they grow to be a good 5 feet tall and spread very quickly over the years...I just love those and keep transplanting them along my fence each year. I'll bring some of those as well.

Should there be any leftover plants people don't want to take back our school would be more than happy to take them, so should anyone have leftovers and not want to haul anything back I will be more than happy to drop them off on my rounds next Monday!

I know you guys are a lot more seasoned than I am in plant-trading so I hope to get better at knowing my plants over the years! :~)

Thanks....Saralee

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Well, I just might be able to make the swap .. I really dont need too much but would love to know what others are looking for .. I just might be able to find it in my garden or get it for you from someone elses .. let me know .. right now I think I have three rooted brugmansia cuttings (they look a bit crappy as I have had them out for several weeks now and really didnt pay too much attention to them) I can live without .. Im not sure of the name or color though .. lost the tags .. some rhubarb .. monkshood ... oh I will have to take a peek around the garden tomorrow and see whats there.
    Oh and I have tons of small pots and various cell packs.
    Laura

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hiya!

I'm glad to see that our little swap list is growing. Here's my list:

Have
    black eyed susan vine seedlings thunbergia (3)
    basil (Italian) seedlings
    brunnera macrophylia
    malva moscata
    rudebeckia
    hostas lancifolia
    grass seed (small bag)
    viola (purple)
    raspberries
    lamium
    periwinkle
    canna (green leaves, blooms yellow)
    sedum autumn joy (blooms purple)
    iris (bloom colour ?)
    lamb's ear

Would like
    Hens and chicks (green, red, or cobweb)
    Sedums (upright variety with red flowers, I think it's called rosy glow and/or creeping varieties)
    coleus
    geraniums
    anything invasive that'll bloom all summer (for my pots)
    lilies
    a big bucket approx 2/3 the size of a bushel (for fertilizer mixing)
    tempt me... :)

Laura, I'm so glad you're coming!

Saralee, I'm bringing you a black eyed susan vine (thunbergia) seedling.

Marina, if you email me and let me know where you live, maybe I can give you a ride. I'm also picking up my neighbor, Essie. We'll do a big plant convoy. :)

Jennifer, I have two types of lamium for ya.

Please email me if you need directions. Laura, email me and I'll give you my cell number. :)

Nadia

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I'll be hitchin' a ride with Laura if she's willin (9 AM-Yikes!) Don't have much to bring, but I have something that may be "gold" to wintersowers..tons of bottom and tops of 2 litre pop bottles, used, but the don't really need to be washed..just toss them in the garage or crawlspace.
    Any soil will dry out, just dump the residue into your potting soil.

And...wait for it...coca-cola plastic red flats. They hold 8 bottles nice and snug.

Plus a whack of white datura babies if anyone is interested. (Caution ..all parts poisonous) Don't plant if you have little ones.

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Nadia .. I will email you for your phone number .. glad to hear someone remembers Im directionally challenged :o)

I have some
    Plume Poppies ... VERY INVASIVE .. not suitable for your pots though Nadia
    Coleus - whirly bird rooted cuttings
    2 - Luffa gourd seedlings
    Rhubarb - if no one asks Im not digging it up
    Stonecrop sedum
    Hens n' chicks - need someone to tell me how to divide them
    Monkshood - purple
    3 rooted brug cuttings
    Large red leaf canna rhizomes
    Pots, pots and more pots
    Possibly a composter .. have to see if the garbage guy picked it up :o)

Laura

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

I am glad that this tailgatae swap got underway, I have a few things I am bringing:

Peonies I dug up only light pink, if anyone wants any other colours, let me know or else I will not dig them up I have hot pink and white, also singles.

Phlox White 2
    Iris yellow 2
    Yarrow, yellow and white 3
    Maltese Cross pink 2
    Cone flower pink 3
    Black eyed susan 2
    Chinese lanterns 2
    Money plant 2
    Rock garden plant ,not sure of the name, yellow 2
    Forget-me-not 1
    Columbine purple 3
    Monarda 3
    Sweetwilliam 1
    Primrose 2

A good mix of annual seedling, and Pereniials.
    Heirloom tomatoes a few kinds, chilli peppers

Marina if you want me to bring you some pots let me know.

Laura if you still have some of those Monkhoods I would love some. let me know what you would like.

• Mari11
    16 years ago

Nadia,thank you for offering me a ride! It looks like I'll be OK, if not -will contact you. Regarding plants - I'd like to have your Brunera, Hosta and Sedum Autumn Joy.

wildflower_2 , I will be happy to have all 3 of your peonies (but singles) and pots! And Maltese cross.

What can I bring for you? I have daylilies, black currant and groundcovering sedums, creeping Jenny, purple lamium. I will bring some seeds -annuals and tomatoes.

Does anybody have Bleeding heart?I am looking also for creeping Phlox, Coralbells,Pulmonaria (Lung wort), Candyturf.

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Wildflower .. some heirloom tomatos would be lovely .. I need them for my dad's garden.

Mari .. what can I get you for one of your flutterbye daylilies?

Laura

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all!

Marina
    I'm happy to bring you Brunnera Macrophylia, Hosta, Sedum autumn joy, and coral bells palace purple.
    Can I please have 1 or 2 daylilies? They all look beautiful, so surprise me. :)

Laura, from one directionally challenged person to another I can only say: it's good to know your strengths. I'm excellent at getting lost. :)
    Can I please have a coleus cutting, some stonecrop sedum, and a few hens and chicks (pluck em out of the ground...they don't really have roots).
    What can I bring you?

Wildflower, I'd love a sweet william and a phlox. What can I bring you?

Nadia

• orchid420
    16 years ago

Hi everyone

I've been checking the posts (and meaning to post), and will be comming this year.
    I'm not looking for anything specific, but will be bringing some good divisions of:

-Monarda (red)
    -yellow lustrife (a little invasive, but not like the purple)
    -some standard hosta
    -I've got a bleeding heart division (for mar11 ?)
    -Lots of cosmos seedlings (pink, white red: mixed) great for nadia
    -wild geranium divisions
    -wild strawberry
    -shalots (boy, are they tasty)
    -pussy willow (cuttings from neigbour)
    -some lily of the valley divisions
    -1-2 year old hydroponic fertilizer (it works great in the garden)

Plus, my neighbour is going to come, and she'll have some seedling (sweet william, valerian, etc...)

If only I hadn't put my seedlings out last week, I'd have more to share (re: novice mistake).
    What would really be nice is anything that would fit in with a small hardy cactus garden I started. But like I said, I'm not picky.
    I've got lots of space, and nothing's a weed as far as I'm concerned (milkweed for monarchs, dandilions for salad, etc...)

Cheers

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome Orchid 420!

I'd love some cosmos seedlings, shallots, and wild geraniums. Take a look at my swap list (above). What can I bring you?

Nadia

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

Marina I would love some of your Black Currants, and ground cover Sedum.

Nadia I will have some of your Thumbergia and Hostas.

Orchid if you still have some of the red Monarda I would love some, tell me what you would like.

• Mari11
    16 years ago

orchid420, I'd love to have Bleeding Heart and also Yellow lustrife . What would you like from my list?

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Laine .. are you coming to the swap?? If you are, I sure would love some of your Mayapples. Let me know what your looking for.

Laura

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Sooo.does anyone want prepped 2 litre bottles? If not, I'm just recycling them. (I can just picture them flying off the back of Laura's pickup on the QE). Marill..do you still want lungwort? Let me know and I'll divide some tomorrow so it wont't be too shocked on Sunday.

Wendy

• Mari11
    16 years ago

Wendy, yes, I'd like lungwort! What can I get for you?

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Mar11..I don't have any creeping jenny. Does it do well in shade? I have a "weedy back end" and I'm trying to plant some covers to choke out the burdock & catnip. I'd like to try that.

• Mari11
    16 years ago

Wendy, I'll bring you creeping Jenny, it makes nice carpet in shade. But I really don't know if it can choke burdock...I will also bring ground covering stonecrops, try them as well.

• laine2
    16 years ago

Hello everyone I am so sorry but I'm unable to come now
    family problem Sunday. If the Kawartha swap gets going I can bring things to it for you May apples etc etc. Sydseeds
    is bring my goodies from the East swap Thanks again to all
    hope you can come to The Kawarthas. If things change I'll see you Sunday?By the way Bobcaygeon Plant sale is tomorrow
    at the arena if you can come I'll be there say Hello O.K.
    Happy Gardening all Elaine

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Nadia does your Uncle still want that large leafed begonia?? I have one here for him :o)
    If you have any thunbergia seedlings left I could use one or two of those :o) Damn Rabbits ate my Morning glories!!!
    Wendy .. I would love the coke bottle flats!!!
    Laura

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,
    My uncle said he'd love a large-leaf begonia. He said he'd bring you a climbing hydrangea.

I'll bring you some thunbergia seedlings and some nasturtium. :)

Nadia

• saralee
    16 years ago

Wow, you guys are like auctioneers! Look at you go!!

Well ends up I got a work assignment and I have to work through the weekend so making cashola comes first. I doubt I'm going to finish my work in time to play in the garden tomorrow, but if I finish up in time to do so, I'll see you and if not, thanks for letting me know about the swap, maybe another year!

TTFN

Sara

• trishthegardenmom
    16 years ago

Hiya!

Been so busy haven't had time to check this thread. Didn't get to arrange any trades with anyone. Hope I can bring stuff that people would want. I have stuff like: lavender mums, white bleeding heart, sundrops, variegated artemesia, geranium of unknown name, purple flowered lamium, some 2nd year echinacea seedlings and some seedlings I've grown this year. Well, if all goes okay and I have time after my daughter's b-day party will pot some things up, and come along tomorrow.
    Ciao for now,
    Trish

• gonewild
    16 years ago

I WILL BE BRINGING:
    Outdoor Hybiscus,
    Hostas,
    Daylilies,
    Bleeding Hearts (Pink)
    Iris (Purple),
    Trumpet Vine (Orange),
    Climbing Hydrangea,
    Forsythia,
    Lilac (white),
    Blackberry,
    Rasberries

I AM LOOKING FOR:
    Wooly thyme,
    Creeping Phlox,
    Ground Covers (fine) mostly for shade,
    Peonies,
    Daylillies,
    Vegetables (Hot peppers, tomatoes)

See you all there...

GoneWild

• saralee
    16 years ago

Hey guys, hubby is being a real doll and digging up some plants for me while I work here...so I'm likely to make an appearance after all...I'm sure I posted what I have in various posts above! I'm easy to bargain with...happy to have anything new I don't...will see you then!

• saralee
    16 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! What a pleasure it was to participate in this event and meet all of you.

Special thanks to Nadia for informing me of this and arranging the swap!

Best to you all and see you again in the Fall or next Spring.

Sara

• laine2
    16 years ago

Hi Nadia I'm so sorry I had to miss your swap. I hope if
    it's not to far you will come to the one being planned
    for June 16 in the Kawarthas also hope if everyone isen't swapped out you will join us to. Take care all happy gardening. See you in the Fall if not in a couple of weeks
    I will pot up some Jack in the Pulpits and save them for you till we meet. Also saved May apples for Scraps any more
    request I'll do my best xoxoxo Elaine

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Well I have to admit it wasnt too difficult to find this swap with the assistance of my co-pilot Wendy :o) I really enjoyed myself and left with more than I had expected. Most of my treasures are already planted or potted up waiting for their drive to my mom & dad's. Thank you to everyone .. take care
    Laura

• nadia_smiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

What a great swap! Thank you to everyone for coming. I had such a good time. See you all in the fall!

Elaine, I'm not sure if I can make the Kawarthas swap, but I'll do my best. My girlfriend's cottage is on Cordova lake, so if I can wiggle myself an invite, I'll spend the weekend in the Kawarthas and bring her with me to the swap.

Nadia