Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peatpod

West End Tailgater???

peatpod
17 years ago

Ok .. I see there is a need to set up a tailgater in the West End of the GTA .. I will give Nadia a hand if she is still interested in setting this up. It would be good to know who is interested in having one so that we can determine a good meeting place and date. I dont have too much to trade as of yet and have all but eliminated most of my perennials from my garden :o) Ya gota love the tropical feel :o)

Same rules as always apply ..

1. Tailgater (meaning trading out of our vehicle trunks in a pre-determined empty parking lot)

2. No sales.

3. Pre-arranged trades ahead of time most welcome.

4. Any garden related living or inanimate object welcome at the trade (so not just seed packets and plants, but old tools, extra fertilizer, old garden books/magazines, compost, etc. - anything garden related actually is most welcome especially if you are new to these swaps and are just starting out but don't have alot of plants/perennials to divide up and swap/trade)

5. The ever popular 'swap circle' - which is the place we randomly place one (or 10) items in the cirlce which enables us to take one (or 10) items in exchange - this is the circle where you'll find things you never knew you wanted/needed).

So post it up people!!! Lets get this thing going!!!

Laura

Comments (80)

• buddn
    17 years ago

Sounds interesting - besides the tall grasses mentioned earlier I could add the following if there is any interest:
    3 Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizho'
    2 Anemone (the common mauve one, blooms late summer)
    2 Boltonia
    1 Golden Agastache
    2 Hemerocallis - double orange flowers
    1 Eupatorium atropurpureum
    2 Agrostemma
    Am interested in the Mayapples, also the compost, woodlanders.

• skraps
    17 years ago

Buddn. I would like one each of these Agrostemma and Eupatorium atropurpureum . Please check my list to see what I can bring you ..

• orchid420
    17 years ago

Hey Lana
    The "Lustrife", isn't a creeping jenny, at least not the same as the "other" creeping jenny in my garden. But due to those dam common names, we could be saying the same thing. I will take a picture, and then switch to latin names....

As for my mayapple, a trade for a boltonia or agastache works for me....

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any swappable groundcover (8" or shorter in height) that will do well in full shade? If you do, please see my swap list, above (Nadia's Swap List), and let me know what I can bring you.

Thanks!
    Nadia

• buddn
    17 years ago

Skraps, I'll trade the Agrostemma and Eupatorium for Hosta 'Frances Wiliams' and white stocks.
    Orchid 420, trade Boltonia for Mayapple.
    Thanks.
    Anyone interested in an Anthriscus sylvestris 'Raven's Wing"?

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Stuff I will be bringing..hypertufa stepping stones (rhubarb leaves), Solomon's seal, and some Datura if my sprouties survive. Looking for things for a butterfly garden, especially 2nd year Joe Pye if anyone might have some. Will keep posting things as they take off..been so cold here by the lake..brrr.

• skraps
    17 years ago

My Planned swaps so far.

Wendy2shoes: I would like one of your stepping stone.Can you give me a idea of what you would like.

Jroot: white gooseneck loosestrife for a brug.

Buddn:Agrostemma and Eupatorium for Hosta 'Frances Wiliams' and white stock

Peatpod: oleander and the double yellow
    tiny hibiscus .For A passion flower.

• tomgyrll
    17 years ago

Hi all -- just found this thread - good date and location for me!

Wendy - that was me re the rhubarb! I forget what I had for you in return tho...

Will nose around the yard and see what I have. Various shade ground covers, some tomato seedlings, himilayan impatiens...

What I want:

DAYLILIES! Many and any. My big project this spring is to plant an unsightly area that technically is my neighbour's land but borders mine, with maintenance-free lilies to replace the weeds and litter. I've already planted quite a few but need more yet, esp if a few are other than the standard orange.

A few ferns would be helpful, too.

Looking forward to it.

Susan

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Susan..the Rhubarb is still potted & ready to go..I can't remember what the trade was either,Himalayan Impatiens would be fine...my w/s ones are duds. I have gazillions of the regular orange grows-along-the-highway daylily if you want some more.
    Skraps..I'll take the standard hosta for the stone. Hoping it dries up soon 'cause I need some dry weather for curing. See you on the 28th!

• tomgyrll
    17 years ago

Wendy - I'd LOVE some regular old daylilies - I need tons, so the more the merrier. Don't even bother to pot them - just shake the soil off and stick them in a bag (it's not as if one could kill them...).

Will bring you the impatiens.

Susan

• skraps
    17 years ago

buddn : Do you still have the Anthriscus sylvestris 'Raven's Wing? If so I would like to trade for it.

• buddn
    17 years ago

Skraps, I've swapped the Anthriscus offsite to Nadia. I can dig up another one if you don't mind getting some Siberian Iris entwined with it. Let me know.

• skraps
    17 years ago

Buddn: That would be perfect thanks..Dont mind the Siberian Iris I like them to

• buddn
    17 years ago

Okay, skraps, it's yours. The Siberian Iris is tougher than I thought and the Anthriscus came out alone. It'll need some TLC probably, as it is about 10 inches tall already, so probably in some shock. I would trade for some flowering kale...thanks.

• skraps
    17 years ago

Thanks Buddn I have some flowering kale set aside for you .

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Hey Skraps..re the KMOTGG, I'll take another hosta, if that's OK...

• skraps
    17 years ago

The standard one I have is called a lanfoli. You are welcome to have lots of it. I could bring you a frances william. I have to go and check what else I can offer you .

I will email you directly on that if you don't want the lanfoli.

• jroot
    17 years ago

Okay, I FINALLY got a chance to determine what surplus stock I have. Anyone interested?

10 canna lilies - tall variety when mature

2 green castor plants - VERY tall variety when mature

3 single white dahlia - 3-4 foot tall when mature

1 yellow pompom dahlia - 3 foot tall when mature

1 yellow star dahlia - 3 foot tall when mature

2 single purple dahlia - 2 - 3 foot tall when mature

1 kelvin flood dahlia - large dinnerplate - 3+ foot tall

3 Frosty Pink brugmansia rooted cuttings - a good bloomer when mature.

2 bog iris (yellow - I think) tall mine were 3 feet tall last year

1 tall blue grass - spreading - 3-4 foot tall when mature

Please let me know if anyone is interested in these.

• buddn
    17 years ago

Jroot,
    I'm interested in the bog iris. What might you be looking for?

• jroot
    17 years ago

Oh, I don't know. Something tall, that will take sun, and fill in a dead spot near the bush at the back of the property. I have some tall yellow "outhouse" flowers about 6 feet tall, but I need something to contrast with them.

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Hey jroot..the brug cuttings are planted out, hoping they do well, only lost a a couple of leaves from the transition from inside to out. I have some "Ozark Blue Star" sprouted which may be a good contrast to your outhouse flowers, also a zillion purple amaranth (thanks peatpod..I think!) sproutlings coming up from last year's plant which I can pot up. ( Why I bothered wintersowing them is beyond me).. Also have Inula Sonnenspeer sprouted, but that's yellow too. If you'd be interested in them, I'd take a canna (?)

• jroot
    17 years ago

Wendy, that would be nice. I was given some seeds for the amaranth last year, but I have not got around to planting them yet, so sure that would be great. The Inula Sonnenspeer is interesting too, so I'll put your name on two cannas.

Buddn, I will put your name on the bog iris. Surprise me with something, okay?

• buddn
    17 years ago

jroot, how do you feel about either the Boltonia (tall, about 6 feet, with a cloud of white asterlike flowers late summer - spectacular in a clump), or the Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizo' (also tall, with more spikelike tiny white flowers - very airy)?

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been attempting to pot up my seedlings .. so here is most of what I have to bring.

Caryopteris Bluebeard - 4 trades
    Stevia - 3 trades
    Fuchsia 'Lottie Hobbie' - 4 Trades
    Blue Jacob's Ladder - 3 trades
    Rooted Brug cuttings - 2 Pink Beauty
    - 3 Charles G.
    - 2 Unknown Orange
    Angel Wing Begonia - 4 Rooted cuttings
    Hoya - 2 Rooted cuttings
    Single Red Tropical Hibiscus - 3 Rooted Cuttings
    Double Yellow Tropical Hibiscus - 2 Rooted Cuttings
    Robert Kemp Canna rhizomes
    Sedum ..I think it blooms pink..but I have tons
    Spiderwort - 7 trades
    Blue monkshood - 2 trades

Seedlings

Canna seedlings
    4 O'Clock Broken Colors
    Livingston Daisies
    Pink Hardy Hibiscus
    Love Lies Bleeding
    Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
    Pride of Barbadoes
    Zinnia Giant Cactus Mix
    Sunflower Florenza
    Sunflower Big Smile
    Sunflower Italian White
    Sunflower Music Box
    Cosmo Sensation
    Morning glory - sunrise serenade

There are a few more but that's it for now
    Laura

• skraps
    17 years ago

PEATPOD: I would like one each of your Pink Hardy Hibiscus
    and your Sunflower Italian White seedlings. I have some black russian sunflower seedlings if you would like some.
    By the way did your plume poppys come back that I gave you last yr?

• jroot
    17 years ago

Buddn, the Boltonia sounds good to me. Nice surprise, as I truly love the wild aster look. I have several other tall wild aster plants starting to come along as well. That's a good trade.

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skraps ... I will put the seedlings aside for you. And yes the Plum Poppy came back ... EVERYWHERE LOL

• jroot
    17 years ago

jroot's summary so far:

skraps - mature white brug - in exchange for - gooseneck loosestrife

Buddn - 2 bog iris pots - in exchange for - Boltonia

Wendy2Shoes - 2 canna lilies(maybe more if folks not wanting them) - in exchange for - Amaranth seedlings

Did I leave anyone out?

Still available:
    8 canna lilies - tall variety when mature

3 Frosty Pink brugmansia rooted cuttings - a good bloomer when mature.

• jroot
    17 years ago

Peatpot : Thanks for organizing this event. I am looking forward to it.

I hope everyone's plants survive the predicted frost this weekend ( Sunday, Monday and possibly Tuesday). I'll be digging up the brug trees I had placed already, and bringing in any tenders.

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John ... I too took all of my brugs indoors. I covered my tenders with empty pots and I am crossing my fingers. I had tons of cannas in pots, caladiums, EE's etc .. I wasnt quite sure where to put everything but I managed to get most of it into my little sesonal GH. I am going to cover the seedlings that I potted up earlier with a sheet and hope for the best :o)

John is there anything on my list that I could swap you for a Frosty Pink? I do have a cutting of HG that you could have ... but Im sure you already have that one.

Laura

• jroot
    17 years ago

Laura,

Your Double Yellow Tropical Hibiscus sounds interesting. I'd take both in exchange for a couple of brugs .... definitely a frosty pink or two or three. Let me know.

Is anyone interested in sand screenings? I have a couple of pails full that I need to get out of my gazebo, after we put a stone floor into it. If no one asks for them soon, I think they'll find their way on a country road. They are good for mixing with soil that needs drainage improved.

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John I will put the last two little guys away for you. They arnt much to look at yet but Im sure they will take off over the summer. I have been rooting them since last summer when my neighbour pruned his back.

Laura

• jroot
    17 years ago

Okay, Laura.

Two small double yellow hibiscus for three small Frosty Pink cuttings is good.

I still have available:
    8 canna lilies - tall variety when mature

and a few boxes of sand screenings for mixing into clay soil, or for putting under patio stones so they don't heave.

• jroot
    17 years ago

jroot's summary so far:
    skraps - mature white brug - in exchange for - gooseneck loosestrife

Buddn - 2 bog iris pots - in exchange for - Boltonia

Wendy2Shoes - 2 canna lilies(maybe more if folks not wanting them) - in exchange for - Amaranth seedlings

Peatpod - 3 Frost Pink cuttings - in exchange for - 2 double yellow hibiscus

Nadia Smiles - several boxes of sand screenings - in exchange for - some hosta.

Did I leave anyone out?

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

I've sowed them twice...sprouted and then.. toast. It's just been too cold by the lake. If anyone has a successfully sprouted one, please let me know and what you might be looking for. I have Kiss Me OTGG, some small, but lookin' O.K. white datura sprouts, verbascum nigrum, and centaurea macrocephala. If you could help me out, most appreciated. Oh..one survivor from 20+ seeds of "Star of Yelta".MG.if anyone has another, will trade. Made about 10 Hypertufa rhubarb leaf stepping stones..if anybody is interested...;)

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wendy I have some Red MG's Sunrise Serenade and also a few Picotee Blue have poked their heads up recently ... are you interested in either of those?? I also have two Hyacinth Bean Vine babies that you are welcome to .. I dont even have room for them at this point and they are just little. RBG has some that they have for sale .. I think they are 8.00 but they are a nice size and ready to go. I might be able to get a better deal on one for you. LMK
    Laura

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Sweet laura re: the Hyacinth sprouts..don't want to spend the gas to go to the RBG. Do you want a sprouted eddo? Lookin' good..two leaf shoots, and another on the way. Looking forward to Sunday. It's going to be Hot Hot Hot!!

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wendy that would be cool .. it will be neat to see if there is a big difference in them compaired to the other EE's I have yet to see sprout :o) I will put the seed babies aside for you.

Laura

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

So...who's bringing the beer?

• jroot
    17 years ago

Did someone say, "beer"? Are you trying to get a better deal from us? LOL

• orchid420
    17 years ago

Hi All
    For a while there, it seemed as if I wasn't going to make it. This is definitely going to be the most busy weekend I can remember.

I don't really have any pre arranged trades, except for the mayapple, so I think I'm just going to come with most of whats on my list -some divisions from the garden- and drop 'em in the circle.

Are there any 'budding' gardeners comming out this year? As I wouldn't mind returning the favour I got last year.

Well, I look forward to seeing you all. And yeah...do cover those plants...I always say to wait until june....

List Additions
    -3 pots of Columbine - deep purple with white center
    -3 monarda divisons (w/roots)
    -3 artemesia pots (one large)
    -a pot with some large lily bulbilis' (year/two from bloom)

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My neighbour is taking care of her daughters class garden and is looking for plants that need minimal care over the summer. Does anyone have anything they would like to donate?? Im sure she could use the extra help :o) Even some suggestions about plant selection would be great.

Also if anyone has items they want carted away after the swap I will be glad to take them and dontate our "offerings" to the RBG Auxillery to sell at their plant sales. They still sell plants on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and will appreciate the extras.

Laura

• skraps
    17 years ago

I might have some extras I can donate .I also do that for my grandsons daycare. Children love to garden .. Look forward seeing you all tomarrow.

• jroot
    17 years ago

Laura and Nadia,

Let me thank you both for organizing a wonderful plant swap this morning. I went with a trunk full, and back seat full of surplus plants, and as usual came back with different plants. This time, fortunately, only a half trunk full. I started to plant already, but it is just too hot to do anymore, so I thought that I would take a moment to express thanks from all involved.

Laura, I haven't yet told my wife the name of that blue vine you gave me. I will have to make sure my youthful neighbour and his young fiance don't get too excited when they see it. LOL

• skraps
    17 years ago

Thanks very much peatpod for the great swap . Had a blast a usual. Hope to finish my planting in the next couple of days..Have a great summer everyone ..See you all in the fall.

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone that came out. I had a great time...despite the late arrival due to traffic/rubberneckers. I appreciate everyone's generosity...and the last-minute boost (apparently, the truck battery's been acting up). I'm sure I'll see you all in the fall. Until then, happy gardening!

Nadia

• jroot
    17 years ago

For some reason, Peatpod's message as well as Buddn's messages were removed. Very strange. They appreciated the plant trading day as well.

• buddn
    17 years ago

Thanks, JRoot, I don't know what happened to my message. As you said, I was appreciative and wished all a good season.

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone, Laura, especially, for a wonderful Sunday. Been so hot..some of the babies I planted out need extra care..looking forward to the new weird and wonderful things that will be flowering.
    Regards..Wendy

• peatpod
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hummmm .. I wonder why my message was deleted?? Oh well ... I had a wonderful time meeting everyone and picking up some wonderful plants. It was a great day. My neighbour would also like to thank everyone for all of the wonderful plants that returned home with me .. they were quickly swept away to be planted at the school :o)

Take care and happy gardening to all
    Laura

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA
More Discussions