Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydseeds

GTA East Fall Garden Tailgater

sydseeds
17 years ago

Launching this again, as we were game for another fall swap - heading alittle further east to grow our gang of GTA eastern gardeners able to attend.

CherylnPickering: Can you come up with a good empty parking lot location suggestion over Whityby/Oshawa/Pickering way?

Hoping for the same rules as usual;

1. Tailgater (meaning trading out of our vehicle trunks in a pre-determined empty parking lot)

2. No sales.

3. Pre-arranged trades ahead of time most welcome.

4. Any garden related living or inanimate object welcome at the trade (so not just seed packets and plants, but old tools, extra fertilizer, old garden books/magazines, rocks, compost, etc. - anything garden related actually is most welcome especially if you are new to these swaps and are just starting out but don't have alot of plants/perennials to divide up and swap/trade)

5. The ever popular 'swap circle' - which is the place we randomly place one (or 10) items in the circle which enables us to take one (or 10) items in exchange - this is the circle where you'll find things you never knew you wanted/needed).

6. Hoping to firm up the swap date real quick - so pipe in with your suggested dates and we can set that date aside now before our calendars get too booked up.

Cheers! Sydseeds (I can't believe how much stuff I am now just finding that should have come to the spring swap so I'll have plenty more to bring in the fall.)

Comments (44)

• ve_e

Looking forward to another successful swap .. everything I received (with the exception of 1 plant, I think the raccoons snapped the stems) is doing wonderfully.

I usually only divide in spring .. is there anything that really doesn't like fall division? I'll have a fair amount of seeds gathered by then so I hope I'll be able to do at least a little bit of "swapping."

I'll take an inventory and post my offerings soon.

• ve_e

Hi all!

I think I'm done with the inventory and can offer the following (not much I'm afraid):

Lamium maculatum - 2 varieties .. both pink flowered I think, one with green foliage w/ white centre rib and one with white foliage with green margins. I will bring a couple of pots of each at least.

Pulmonaria! yes, I still have more to offer, at least 2 or 3 divisions.

Forget-me-nots (bright blue flowers) - plenty of these, healthy fresh new foliage

possibly one or two Rhubarbs .. I'm not yet sure about dividing this, I don't really want to dig up the whole thing and that's really the proper way to do it but if someone wants some, I'll get to it. don't know which variety mine is, but it's red/green stalks, quite thick, leaves are about 2 x 3 ft in midsummer.

about 3-4 tiny cedar seedlings ... these will survive winter if planted out now (they usually even survive the lawnmower at my house!) but you'll want to plant them in a spot that you'll remember for overwintering

some seeds, 2 varieties of Rudbeckia (not named), obedient plant (white and light pink possible), climbing sweet pea, Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria), various Malvas, whatever else I can get my hands on without my neighbours catching me!

some plastic pots, some flats/trays, other paraphernalia

1 tube-framed plastic-tarp type growhouse .. about 7 ft tall at the peak, maybe 5' x 4' surface/ground area, zippered entry and zippered air vent, will incl. original instructions for assembly .. might need some cleaning, I can send photo if anyone is interested ahead of time.

I don't think I'm looking for anything special or in particular .. will always take some seeds or coleus cuttings or whatever else is floating around. :) see you all on Sunday! Victoria
  • ve_e

Looking forward to another successful swap .. everything I received (with the exception of 1 plant, I think the raccoons snapped the stems) is doing wonderfully.

I usually only divide in spring .. is there anything that really doesn't like fall division? I'll have a fair amount of seeds gathered by then so I hope I'll be able to do at least a little bit of "swapping."

• ve_e

Hi all!

I think I'm done with the inventory and can offer the following (not much I'm afraid):

Lamium maculatum - 2 varieties .. both pink flowered I think, one with green foliage w/ white centre rib and one with white foliage with green margins. I will bring a couple of pots of each at least.

Forget-me-nots (bright blue flowers) - plenty of these, healthy fresh new foliage

possibly one or two Rhubarbs .. I'm not yet sure about dividing this, I don't really want to dig up the whole thing and that's really the proper way to do it but if someone wants some, I'll get to it. don't know which variety mine is, but it's red/green stalks, quite thick, leaves are about 2 x 3 ft in midsummer.

about 3-4 tiny cedar seedlings ... these will survive winter if planted out now (they usually even survive the lawnmower at my house!) but you'll want to plant them in a spot that you'll remember for overwintering

some seeds, 2 varieties of Rudbeckia (not named), obedient plant (white and light pink possible), climbing sweet pea, Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria), various Malvas, whatever else I can get my hands on without my neighbours catching me!

1 tube-framed plastic-tarp type growhouse .. about 7 ft tall at the peak, maybe 5' x 4' surface/ground area, zippered entry and zippered air vent, will incl. original instructions for assembly .. might need some cleaning, I can send photo if anyone is interested ahead of time.

I don't think I'm looking for anything special or in particular .. will always take some seeds or coleus cuttings or whatever else is floating around. :) see you all on Sunday! Victoria
  • ve_e

• ve_e

Hi all!

• jroot
    17 years ago

Wow, you are indeed an eager beaver. I missed seeing your smiling face today at the west end swap. Good luck with the fall trade. May it not be too cold.....unlike today.

• laine2
    17 years ago

Hi I'll be watching this site for details of the fall
    swap. Have a good summer everyone. Laine from Bobcaygeon.

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

Count me in. All my trades from the spring swap are doing beautifully and I am looking forward to same in the fall.

AM

• laine2
    17 years ago

Hi I'm going to be cleaning up an Iris bed to many nothing
    fancy Yellows and Purples. As long as their in and mulched
    before frost should be fine. See you in ??waiting to hear.
    Happy Gardening Laine.

• backonceagain
    17 years ago

Hi,

I will be there.

Last year Spring worked fine. LCBO parking but on Labour day King & Stephenson where Oshawa meets Whitby, more or less.

Brian Duffey

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was actually home today (for the first time in weeks) actually potting things up thinking about the upcoming swap.

CherylnPickering: Any ideas for a good easterly-GTA location for our fall swap? I'll leave the date and place for your choosing.

Looking forward to it - hoping for late September date so that maybe we can start swapping our different types of peonies (by late September the peony eyes should show up at ground level in order to get good divisions ready for splitting).

Hope you all had a great summer......can't wait for school to start so I can go back to gardening without guilt.

Cheers, Sydseeds

• mizcupcake
    17 years ago

I am so excited to be able to attend one of these..I do not have a lot of variety but lots of what I do have. Will watch the postings and look forward to meeting you all.
    Thanks Brenda (from Belleville)

• cherylnpickering
    17 years ago

Looks like Spetember 24 is the day!

Location: St. Mary Catholic Secondary School, 1918 Whites Rd, Pickering  located on the west side of Whites Road, one block south of Finch Avenue

From the 401: Exit Whites Rd. And go north on Whites. Continue past Kingston Road (Highway 2) and proceed through four traffic lights. After the fourth traffic light, you will see the school on your left. You can enter the school directly off of Whites Road

From Kingston Road: Turn north on Whites Road (if you are heading eastbound, turn left onto Whites Road; if you are heading westbound, turn right onto Whites Road). Proceed through four traffic lights. After the fourth traffic light, you will see the school on your left. You can enter the school directly off of Whites Road

From Finch Avenue: Turn south onto Whites Road (if you are heading eastbound, turn right onto Whites Road; if you are heading westbound, turn left onto Whites Road). Just before you approach the first traffic light, the school can be seen on the right side of the street. There is a driveway directly off of Whites Road.

From Taunton Rd: (from the west Steeles changes to Taunton) Turn south onto Whites Road (if your heading from the East, turn left If your heading from the West, turn right) Proceed past;3rd Concession Rd, over railway tracks and straight through Finch Ave. The school can be seen on the right side of the street. There is a driveway directly off of Whites Road.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone!

Cheryl

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

Hi fellow swappers!!!

Hope you have all had a good summer :)

What time is the swap Cheryl?

At this time I would like to offer for pre- arranged swapping -

Monarda (beebalm) Jacob Cline - tall deep pink, almost red
    Acidanthera bulbs - must be overwintered indoors, you can keep them in a paper bag or small box, without soil or water in a cold cellar, replant in the spring.
    Columbine - white flowers in early spring.
    Anise Hyssop - tall plant, licorice scent, purple flowers

Please email me if you are interested and let me know what you have.
    Mary Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: map to swap

• nebypera
    17 years ago

Count me in.
    Marica

• skraps
    17 years ago

It really make me sad that I won't be able to attend the plant swap this fall. I will be having a operation on sept 14th and won't be recovered enough to attend . Hubby says no way. I will be looking forward to the spring one and will be trading seeds on line all winter. Hope you all have a blast. Have a safe and happy winter.

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skraps - wishing you a speedy recovery once your operation is behind you - let us know if there is anything we can pot up for you special that can be held over 'til the spring (i.e. stuff that does better split at this time of year such as peonies, etc.) I'll gladly pot up whatever I've got and sink the pot into the ground to hold for you until the spring.

CherylnPickering - thanks so much for coming up with the date & location. You're a gem!

Everyone - I'm willing to dig you up a nice sized plant and stuff their oversized root systems into big old 2-5 gallon buckets in order to get a big old rock in exchange.......

I need large (think 'pumpkin-sized') rocks! That's all I want to take home, so if between now and them you can come up with a really big rock - save room in your trunks for it for me and you'll get first dibs on an equally large plant that you just can't pass up! Let me know what's on your wishlist and I'll start raiding the neighbourhood if I don't already have your favourite already growing in my gardens. I'm also willing to part with a sizeable amount of ready-to-be planted 'angelique peony tulip bulbs' in exchange for a big ol' rock.

Please connect with me directly via email so we can iron out details on pre-arranged 'rock for plant/bulb' trades.

9AM - 11AM time frame (as usual) good for everyone? Gives us plenty of daylight when we get home to get all our perennials planted (or in my case - my rocks planted)

Cheers! Sydseeds

• laine2
    17 years ago

Hi Karen I will gladly bring you a big ol rock any color
    preference lol see you soon Elaine

• Anisten
    17 years ago

Hello all! Thanks Syds for emailing me. I am not sure If I can make it this time mostly of the Sunday day, but I will try. I am amazed at some of the plants that I received at the spring swap and what they turned out to be. I will sign in closer to the date and let you all know.

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

Here is what pops up for trade in my garden. I am looking for peony, named daylily, and named hosta varieties but am open to suggestion. The Joe Pie Weed that I got earlier this year is wonderful. About the rock. Do you want round like a pumpkin or just big like a pumpkin? Looking forward to the swap. AM

Plants for Fall GTA Swap

ÂTetrinaÂs Daughter Daylily
    ÂRed Magic Daylily
    ÂMissouri Beauty Daylily
    Japanese Anemone (Anemone x Hybrida)
    ÂKong Coleus for overwintering
    Pulmonaria (lungwort or Ladies and Lads)
    Rudbeckia ÂGoldstrumÂ
    Polygonatum, ÂSolomon's SealÂ
    Hosta ÂGold StandardÂ

Seeds for Fall GTA Swap

Cerinthe ÂBouquet GoldÂ
    Hibiscus ÂSimply LoveÂ
    Clematis ÂRadar LoveÂ
    Castor Bean Plant
    Snow on the Mountain 'Euphorbia marginata'

• ninjakaren
    17 years ago

Hi all! Just signed up. I'm in Markham, would love to attend the swap with my mom. Really we just know the basic names for most of the plants, not the varieties...hope this isn't a problem. I have a purple butterfly bush to offer up. Also some seeds, I'll see what else we can dig up. REally just starting the garden out. I'll also look to see if I can find some pumpkin sized rocks. I have some older Victorian house magazines and the like, anyone interested? As for what I'm looking for, I keep admiring japanese painted fern at the nursery. Also anything verigated. I'll bring whatever I have,
    Looking forward to this,
    Karen

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laine - Any particular plant/batch of bulbs on your wishlist that I can swap that any coloured rock for?

Ve e - Everything is fair game in my gardens when it comes to dividing & sharing.

amcorrigan - Rock doesn't have to be round like a pumpkin - just big like a pumpkin so they stand out in a slightly sloped rock garden. Any particular colour of peony that you're looking for in exchange?

Ninjakaren - Glad you are coming! I'll look around as I know I've got a japanese painted fern somewhere around this garden but it may be small - what else can I bring you in exchange for a big rock?

Nadia - We're still on for our rock for peony exchange as discussed.

All - I'm bringing a variety of 4 inch pots of perennials for the gamblers swap circle; this is a great location for those garden/victorian home magazines as I've got a bunch of gardening magazines that I'm unloading in the swap circle as well.

Newcomer's! Raid your gardens; Grab a neighbour and bring them & their goodies along too if you are shy to come alone - Everyone having even one garden related item to swap for something else is so welcome to come! We've only been doing this for 3 years or so, and we were all shy to come at one point but each year we get a few new people coming that vow to return the following season as it is alot of fun & a great way to exchange plants without having to pay for postage or even open your wallet to pay for anything.

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

Sydeeds,

I am looking for a yellow peony next. I have Festiva Maxima (white), Sarah Bernhart (pink), and a magenta one that I don't know the name of. I am trading with Nadia - some daylilies for a pink single type peony that looks to be very pretty. However, I am flexible for colour. If you have something that sounds like it would fit into this mix, bring it along. I will be sorting rocks all this weekend.

Thanks,

AM

• cherylnpickering
    17 years ago

Sydseeds, I have a couple of rocks for you and have recuited a rock slinger for transfering them to your vechile.... compliments from the King of Kinmount.

Anyone up for taking a small Kumson Forsythia? I'll gladly dig it up. I also have various coleus for those who want cuttings for overwintering.

I'll be bringing an assortment of stuff for the swap circle.. Varigated Porcelain Berry Vine, Sedums, Semps, Seeds and more.

Cheryl

• ninjakaren
    17 years ago

hey everyone,

this is karen's fiancee, joe.
    im really looking forward to going and meeting everyone.

just a few comments:

sydseeds: do you just want one rock, or if i find several do you want them all?

all: karen and i also have rose of sharon seedlings to offer up, from karen's mother's garden. these plants have germinated naturally from its parent, not in a greenhouse. they are about a foot high, and are either double white or double pink.

all: i am also an arborist for the city of toronto, so if anyone has any tree health, insect, disease, or maintenance questions i can try my best to answer them.

ok, i think that's it! see you all on the 24th!!!

• laine2
    17 years ago

Hi Cheryl, I would love the Kumson Forsythia please & if
    it's not asking to much could I have a porcelain vine to
    Thanks Elaine see you soon.

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

AM - Sent you email on a couple choices for you to mull over. I've got white & pinks as well that I didn't send pictures of, so just name it.

NinjaKaren's Joe - I'd love to adopt any rocks you have room to bring! What type of plants/bulbs can I bring you guys as a trade? I've got a few unidentified trees in my yard - I need to remember to bring a twig section to have you help me figure out what type it is! So glad you are coming!

CherylnPickering's "King of Kinmont" - Bless you for lugging rocks for me!

Woo Hoo - I'll be like Charlie Brown at Hallowe'en with all the rocks I'm getting!

I'm trying to keep my plant/rootball sizes as big as possible for those who are prearranging with me to bringing me rocks.

The other plants that I'm bringing are in small pots that I'll simply put in the 'gamblers circle' so that anyone can leave some behind to take some in exchange.

• cherylnpickering
    17 years ago

Elaine, Your name is on both items that you asked for.
    See you all on Sunday

Cheryl

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

Hi Sydseeds!

Put me down for 3 rocks - one largish pumpkin size and a couple the size of a slightly deflated basketball!! I have smaller grapefruit sized ones, would you want those too?
    Cheryl, are you giving away any cobweb semps? Would you like some lavender or seedlings of Palace Purple Heuchera that look a little different from P.P?

Thanks
    Mary Anne

• cherylnpickering
    17 years ago

Hi Mary Anne! I'll bring some cobweb with your name on them. A wee peice of lavender sounds great.

Cheryl

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Hello All!

I'm looking forward to the swap. Email me for details!
    Here's what I've got to swap and what I'd like to bring home:

Available to swap:
    white daisies
    tulip bulbs (single, yellow and orange)
    violets
    chamomile daisies
    rose of sharon seedlings, 1 year old (tree type, not the bush type, purple blooms)
    Italian sweet basil (overwinter indoors)
    calendula (yellow and orange)
    hostas
    peppermint
    oregano
    parsley
    majoram (variegated)
    dianthus seeds
    echinacea seeds
    sedum
    hens and chicks
    hens and chicks, cobweb
    chinese lantern (Physalis alkekengi)
    Dead Nettle
    various sizes of pots

What I would like:
    Something tall with red blooms that grows happily in shade
    thalictrum columbine
    cimicifuga/bugbane
    Tiarella cordifolia--foamflower
    heuchera--champagne bubbles + pink flambe
    anemone
    peonies
    pink coneflower
    hydrangea (Sister Therese OR Annabelle)-need for deep shade
    oxalis
    strawberry pot

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

Cheryl, I would love to swap some lavender for cobweb semps! The lavender has become quite the spreader, fuss free and free flowering but I must tell you that I do overwinter the area because it is in front of a rosebush and its just as easy for me to throw an old blanket over the two and hold it down with 2 rocks. If it doesn't take please let me know and I'll get you more next spring.

Mary Anne

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

I have a couple of thai chilli pepper plants. Ver spicy, upward facing,bright red 1 -2 inch fruit. It can be grown indoors as an ornamental. Any one interested please email me.
    Mary Anne

• amcorrigan
    17 years ago

Hi Nadia,

I would like some of your hens and chicks, cobweb and some sedum if it doesn't sprawl. I have some very pretty anemone and I think a strawberry pot. I need to check the garage.

AM

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

CherylnPickering- Since we haven't firmed up what you want in exchange for rocks, I'll give you first pick from my truck after my pre-arranged stuff is doled out, before I put offerrings into the swap circle.

Shy Lurkers - Hope to meet & swap with you all tomorrow - rain or shine, we'll have fun all the same.

• holidays99
    17 years ago

What time is the swap?

I'm interested in some rocks if there are any left.

Mary

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

holidays99 - we start swapping at 9a.m.

• ninjakaren
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great swap everyone! JOe and I managed to get all our new plants in before the rain today! My mom wasn't so lucky! We had a great time and now have a better idea of how to plan for the spring swap!
    Thanks again,
    Karen and Joe (and mom Helga)

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again CherylnPickering for pulling together this swap, which went without a hitch - great fall location - really easy to find - once I escaped the clutches of Scarborough that is (didn't know Finch turned into Morningside south- gotta learn how to drive on the 401 again, or else invest in a map that someone between 6 and 8 years old can decipher.)

Although we never get as big a turn out in the fall as we do in the spring; we certainly never have any shortage of loot coming to and from our trunks; and it is a treat to spend a little time with you all again.

It was great seeing all the familiar faces; and hope we've made repeat tailgaters from our new friends for next spring.

Sorry I didn't have much time to stay and chat but with two non-gardeners anxious to get on with their day, I knew I needed to make a quick escape. Hope the clean up of the remnants wasn't too much trouble.

I'll post a picture of all your rock donations once I get them all pushed, pulled and shoved up a slope into my new rock garden.

I am so blessed to have met up with you all again. Stay healthy - stay in touch over here on the conversation side of the boards when you get a chance, to let us know how your fall and winter gardening adventures are going.

No doubt I'll start potting up more plants tomorrow (which will get sunk into the ground for the winter) to get a jump start on my 'have to share' list for the spring swap.

• mutts_fan
    17 years ago

Thanks Karen and Cheryl for another successful swap - this is my fifth!!! I always get comments from neighbours that I must spend a fortune on plants - you know except for a few annuals in the spring, I haven't bought any plants in over 2 years! So I am very grateful to everyone past and present who come out to the swaps for all your wonderful plants.
    See you again next spring.

Mary Anne

• nebypera
    17 years ago

The swap was great and I enjoyed every minute. Thank you all and many thanks to Karen and Cheryl who organized yet another successful swap.

Since I failed to leave the original bag of KarenÂs tulip bulbs in the circle for everyone to see there is the information from the bag: Darwin Hybrid 'Pink Impression' tulip, 20-22 inches high, 4-6 inches spread and plant 6 inches deep.

Marica

• nadia_smiles
    17 years ago

Thank you all again for a great swap. We ended up donating the leftover plants to the charity car wash, and I'm sure people were happy to get plants with their sparkly cars. See y'all in the spring!!

• sydseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nadia - what a great idea you guys had to donate the left over extra plants to the schools carwash fundraiser!!!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions