Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knottyceltic

A bit of a Columbine Mystery

knottyceltic
9 years ago

3 years ago I planted a Purpleish-Blue and white Columbine. I don't think it had a tag when I bought it but it looked like the usual wild Columbine shape with the spurs and petals. This year and it looks like it's the main/original plant that has come back up but it is identical to my other columbine I bought to compliment it in a nearby bed. It is the same Purplish-Blue colour but it no longer has spurs or petals, it doesn't have the white any more either, it just looks more like a chive flower and is identical in appearance when I snapped off a flower and took it to compare with the named one I have in the other bed. The one in the other bed is called "Clematis Flowered Columbine". Did the Purpleish-Blue and white spurred columbine revert back to a Clematis Flowered Columbine OR did a bee pollinate the spurred one with the Clematis one and the new flower come up with the same features as the Clematis one? I know a tiny bit about plants reverting from my collections of Hosta but I thought it odd for a spurred Columbine to revert to a shape unlike the original species plant. Does anyone know the solution to this mystery?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions