Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingami

When you were in your twenties--

ingami
19 years ago

I didn't know what to make the subject of the posting,how to word it- what I am getting at is just how things have changed for me since I was in my 20's, and have they ever changed-

I started thinking of it when I was adding to the post about not enjoying winter. When I was in my early twenties winter meant getting some nice winter boots and wondering if I could afford "that" coat at Holt Renfrew.

( I couldn't ) It's been so long now since I've been near a Holt Renfew that I forget what it smells like, and it used to smell pretty darn good-

Other big conerns were getting to work on time and still looking good when I got there, I guess that hasn't changed too much,mostly the getting there on time. Still want to look good but when I was about 23, it was a must- not a want. Oh, I was a shallow thing wasn't I? But I sure had fun. Well, I was having fun unless I was worried to death about a certain someone calling.

I really could go on and on -

How were your twenties?

Faith

Comments (12)

• didzgarden
    19 years ago

Well, Im still in them... but not for much longer. I already notice a difference from my early twenties to now. And see the difference in people who are 21 to myself. Theres something about the twenties isn't there? You start out so young... then suddenly, your in your late 20s, and theres been some kind of priority shift. I got married when I was 25, so thats a change in lifestyle and prioritys I guess.

Im curious as to others answers... keep em coming... I think its fun!

MK

• Gwyn
    19 years ago

Wow interesting cool topic. Really gets one thinking as to how things change.
    Things sure do change from 20s to 30s. Even the way I think.
    I came to Canada 12 days after my 20th birthday, yes quite a big change. Got my 1st job ever - flipping burgers at MacDonalds. Went to University at night and got an office job during the day.
    Got married at 27 had my ds 2 months (to the day) before I turned 30.

I had to smile and think, yes I too have to work hard at trying to make it to work on time.

• nanatina
    19 years ago

My entire 20s I quite often referred to as my previous life!! I entered them as a mother, I was married at 20. Gave birth to the twins on my last day as 20 - making 3 daughters. Started university at 23 was there until I finished my masters at 31. When not in class worked there for 6 yrs.
    I had 0 free time all of which I spent at the kids' school, PTA meetings, fundraising and driving to various extracurricular activities, no money, lots of ambitions, not enough sleep, a seriously incompatible unmotivated husband who was a rock musician on the road 3/4 of our marriage.
    My 30's where i still am - 8 yrs divorced, kids are all completely or semi-independent, wonderful compatable partner, great job, spent 7 yrs realising that job satisfaction is way more important than working 80 hr weeks just to make more money, that I expect to change careers a few more times in my life just to keep it fresh, I have a wonderful granddaughter and a lot of free time to spend with her.
    Life got better and i expect my 40's will be better yet!
    Tina

• GardeningNewbie
    19 years ago

Well, like Didz, I'm still in my 20s - for another 7 months! And I'm never leaving them! When May 31st rolls around I will definitely be '29 and holding!' I don't ever want to 'grow up!' LOL! We have 2 children (3yr old son & 2yr old daughter) and my DH and I are just as much children as they are! I'm a stay at home mom (currently employed as a babysitter though) and my DH is a Hog Farmer. When I was little I remember thinking that the adults that were 30 were 'old' - so I'm never going there! LOL!

Larissa

• bonniepunch
    19 years ago

I'm only in my mid thirties, so it wasn't all that long ago. At the same time it was forever and a day ago!! Holy cow, has the world ever changed! The Berlin wall came down three days after my 21st birthday. I actually had to explain the term "nuclear winter" to a 20 year old a few months ago. As a kid I collected stamps, and I was the only one I knew who had heard the names "Croatia", "Serbia", and "Bosnia" - from old stamps. Suddenly they're in the news.

I got married at 21, and moved from Nova Scotia to Quebec. I was was never really wild and crazy in my 20's - I got that out of my system when I was a teenager, much to my parent's dismay :-). Don't get me wrong - it was still lots of fun. DH was in grad school studying physics, and it was more the pot-luck dinners, conversation, and wine kind of fun rather than the drink yourself silly kind of fun.

Still happily married - going on 15 years (!!), and happily living in Montreal. I'm really enjoying my thirties, and I still need "that coat", but I need "that plant" more, so the coat will have to wait :-)

BP

• peatpod
    19 years ago

Ah .. my twenties .. that was a life time ago :o) In 2 days I will hit the big 40!!
    I think in my twenties I was lost in my "Big hair" phase. Hung out with guys in rock bands .. slept in seedy hotels .. and made "interesting" friends :o) Drank myself silly and loved being crazy. Loved being independant and free. Attended college and graduated with my diploma in Correctional Services. Never did work in an adult prision .. worked with teenagers instead. I got married in my late 20's and we are still together.
    Now at Almost 40, (notice how I said Almost!! Give me my two days of youth please :o) ) I still think of myself as being a little bit differnt than most women my age. Most women have children of their own .. I have other peoples children and 8 cats, 2 dogs and a bunch of fish :o) Im a foster parent for hard to serve teenagers. Everyday is crazy dealing with behavioural issues and various psychiatric issues the kids have. When my old foster kids come "home" for a visit .. I really feel, do I dare say, old .. they were 13 when I met them and now they are in their early 20s .. some with children of their own. I have shared my home with hundreds of children many of whom I will never see again. I often wonder where the time goes .. it feels like each year seems to get shorter and shorter .. there is never enough time to achive all of the things I want to achieve .. heck there is hardly enough time to do all of the gardening :o0 I still blast heavy metal music in my truck and dress a bit different than the other 40 year old women that I know .. I dont think that will ever change. But on the other hand .. I blast my music when I'm quilting or when Im gardening :o) Maybe Im still stuck in my "Big Hair" daze :o) but with straight hair :o)

Laura

• bonniepunch
    19 years ago

Laura - hehe it seems we have some things in common. My birthday is on Saturday (my 36th). I too have no kids (by choice), I spent ten years looking after other people's kids. I had four cats, but I'm now down to two (looking for some hard to place kittens), and I had two parrots (briefly had four), now down to one (not looking!!). I'm considered odd (all that hairspray must have caused brain damage :-)), I rarely have to worry about colour co-ordinating what I'll wear - I still wear mostly black, and boy did I ever have big hair! My running wild and drinkng myself silly days were in my teens though, and I wasn't a heavy metal head but a punk kid. I blast The Clash when I'm gardening :-)

BP

• peatpod
    19 years ago

BP .. Im sure there are tons of us lurking about in many gardens thoughout Canada but they have their diskmans on :o) Its funny though when I attend foster parent meetings everyone seems a bit conservative lol. My Foster monsters think Im nuts .. so for the big 40 Im getting a tattoo!!!! Dont know what it will be or what part of my body I will put it on .. but I have always wanted one and damn it Im getting it :o) Last year the CAS told the Foster parents that they were not allowed to smoke in their homes .. my immediate thought was .. ok so now its time to get a bunch of tattoos and get facial piercings :o0 Never did follow through with that one :o) I think because Im not the same as other people .. I have a bit of an edge on them as far as the kids go. None of the Foster parents believe me when I tell them that I quilt or garden lol .. its hard to picture me doing things like that .. Im a pretty rough and tumble type of gal :o)

Thank god Im not the only one out there with hairspray damage :O)

• nevrest
    19 years ago

Oh you youngsters out there.......
    At twenty I had five kids so
    at 30 I had 5 teenagers and three preteens
    at 40 they had almost all left home
    so I changed the locks ...just kidding
    at 50 I was a widow
    at 60 I am remarried to a fellow with 6 kids .
    I still listen to Meatloaf and Rod Stewart at ear splitting
    volume.
    WHen my granddaughters started borrowing my clothes I figured that I must be dressing too young...tried more sedate clothes...hated them....back to the funky stuff....long denim skirts and with lace or metallic tops,still wearing the long beads from the sixties. Sometimes showing off the tattoo that I got in my fifties.
    Still planting fruit trees and expecting to eat the fruit.
    Still have to buy shoes but NEED plants and books more so wear the old ones as long as possible.

• ingami
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey nevrest, good going.
    Well, I remember John Mellencamp saying- we Invented Rock and Roll so we're da-- well going to play it. I don't really know if his/our generation invented it, but looking at the big picture, in terms of generations, I suppose "we" did.
    He had said that when he was about 40 I think.
    Anyway, I'm a bit behind a lot of you guys in some departments. I had my kids later in life, they are now 10 and 12. And I am? Well, I'm 40 something. LOL
    In many ways I wish I had had them in my 20's too, but it just didn't happen. So I'm pleased as punch to have them now, to say the least.
    In my 20's it was rock and roll all the way, and LOTS of partying. It makes me pooped to think of it now. But it sure didn't then! I also got married when I was about 25 and had a good job so it was lots of good times then too. But the marriage didn't last- but soon after that my "next life" started. It's very true that it almost seems like a whole other life, doesn't it?
    Anyway, still lots of fun, but a little more serious with a new job, more education, and then married DH, and the kids came along.
    I think if I had started having kids earlier, I would have had a whole lot more, I honestly would have loved to have had a whole houseful. But I'm really blessed with the two I
    have.
    I still love the rock and roll and I still love the clothes!
    Faith

• pennymacdonald
    19 years ago

Yes my twenties were a life time ago. Married at 25, child at 26, and moved from the only home in the city I ever knew into a small trailor in the middle of the bush and know one as far as you could see. Cooking was something my MOTHER did. Gardening was something the green houses in the spring did and well just having a child and a husband and a new home (so to speak) Overwhelming to say the least.
    Now, 20 years later I am a master baker, I am also a master gardener, ( took my course last year ) and my children ( there was one more at the age of 30 ) are able to cook, garden and be thier own person all without me...well sort of. LOL They always need mom! LOL Changes...I'll say. But hey, I'm ready for more and can't wait to see what is in store or what more I can do on this wonderful journey called life. :0)
    Penny

• daisy_dukers
    19 years ago

I am in my late 20's now.....
    I started out my 20's pretty conservatively.....just finished univ....got a good paying job.....then I met a younger wild child who took me on quite a ride....from there I met alot of interesting people....did alot of stupid things...wine women and song was my motto.....Then I met my wife...I went from listening to Jimi Hendrix to Bob Marley so to speak....got back into gardening...got engaged....got my baby daisy dukers (german shepard)....sold the house in the city....bought a house outside the city with a lil over a 1/2 acre to develop....got married...now me and wifey are talking about adopting......what a ride it has been....and I am only startinng the journey...

I still play Jimi when I am in the garden...no socks..no shoes...just my toes in the dirt.....

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions