Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doreen5050

HAVE: Plant exchange Vancouver Island

Doreen5050
11 years ago

Would anyone be interested in doing a quality plant exchange this spring on Vancouver Island. I live in Qualicum Beach.

Comments (104)

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, too bad you missed us, it was great. We all got some real treasures. I'm also in Nanoose, I'd love some Joe Pie Weed.Perhaps we could swap a cple things? I don't see how to contact you so hope you see this.
    Cindy

• donbonner
    10 years ago

Good afternoon everyone. I'm new to this forum but not the area. I live in Lantzville and have a lot of plants available for trade. I live the the farm at the corner of Superior and the Highway. There are two horses in our field that people see as they drive by. I creating a small nursury but not really interested in selling plants yet so willing to trade what I have. I'm working on a list of plants but going from memory I have the following. Most of them are in 1 gal pots. I'll post the list when I have it. I'm looking for more shade plants for the gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

Looked at your web site

You have done some very fine work and for sure a great deal of work

Every success

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Don, I know where you are, drive by lots. I checked your website. Looks like lots of projects on the go. Couldn't see a list of your plants though. You've beautiful property.
    Cindy

• donbonner
    10 years ago

I'll work on the list this weekend and post it here and on the website. Busy installing another 300' of fence in the pasture for the next few days. After work of course.

• klinger
    10 years ago

You're a busy guy! I'll be off camping for the weekend, I'll check back in next week.
    Cheers
    Cindy

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Nice to see some new names on our list We will have to do a swap for sure in the fall. Cheers Marj

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy,
    I do not frequent this page regularly, but glad to see there are others in area as well as the whole Island and surrounding areas.
    You should be able to send an email?
    I have been collecting and starting plants for some time and frequent another website, but most people are from the U.S. and it is not possible to trade plant material.
    My recent addiction for the past few years has been Succulents. Mainly Adeniums (desert rose) and Pachypodiums. All considered fat plants.

I would love to take part in a plant swap/trade in the Fall.
    As for the Joe Pye Weed. You can definitely get some. I love the fall interest with this plant.
    Rick

• donbonner
    10 years ago

Just a follow up here is a list of the plants that we have currently in pots ready to go. I think this is most of them. So drop me a line if you wish to drop by and swap.

Laurel 1 gal
    Sage 1 gal
    Shasta daisies lots 1 gal
    Oriental poppies some
    Chives some
    Maximillion Sunflower 2 gal
    Liatris 1 gal just about to flower
    Laliacs 2 gal
    Foxglove lots of varieties
    Sweet pea 2 gal
    Chestnut trees seedlings
    Lupins 1 gal
    Dianthus 1 gal (just potted)
    Mexican hat some
    Black eye Susan some
    Coreopsis early sunrise and other varieties. 1 gal
    aquiliga 3" various varieties
    Some 3" Crimson King
    Strawberries 2 gal

Don

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Rick I don't see a contact email for you, would you mind sending me one? I would like some joe pie weed. If you are into succulents I do have Kalanchoe daigremontiana . Just gave away a few other succulents I had.
    Don, I'd be interested in in some sage, and oriental poppies, what sort of things are you looking for?
    Cindy

• donbonner
    10 years ago

I'm looking for shade plants. We have a lot of fruit trees, maple, chestnut, lilac and other trees that I'm building gardens under. Or any perennial.

• pwin
    10 years ago

Hello everyone! I just found this thread. I'm from the greater Victoria area. It's so nice to see others on here who live on the island. I don't have anything to trade right now unless someone wants a bucket of iris pallida ssp pallida rhizomes. Next year, I might be ready to trade something more substantial, so I hope everyone gets together again!
    Maria

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Just thought I would touch base. Really looking forward to some rain. I started working so have not been on. My schedule has settled somewhat now.
    I am starting to look around my garden for trades for the fall. Hope everyone has been having a great summer.
    Cheers
    Doreen

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Hi Doreen What a dry summer we have had but I must say the Dahlia's are doing great I ended up with a nice selection of colours. I will be down for two or three weeks then I will start potting things up. Hope everyone had a great summer. Cheers Marj

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi all, I'm hoping we can do another swap this fall. I've got to work a lot of weekends but I have Sunday Oct 27th off, I'd be happy to have every one met at my place in Nanoose that day. Don't know if that's too late in the fall for everyone or just right. I've got some red and yellow dahlia tubers, orange crocomosia, purple iris, perrenial geraniums, cuttings from a versicolor brug and impatiens niamenasis. hostas. I'm sure there will be more, I want to thin and move a few things.
    Cheers Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I have not taken part in your plant trade/swap, but wouldn't mind taking part if space allows. I could make it on weekends if this is what you choose.
    Have many things in garden to share and will list a few things if you do go ahead with it.
    Always needing to divide and make room.
    Rick

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi, Rick,
    I think more is good for a plant swap.We end up with a bigger selection then.Hopefully this will be as good as the spring one.
    Cindy

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy
    Thanks for offering to host the fall swap I am recovering from surgery but will be happy to try to get some things together. I will mark the date and keep checking in at this page. Looking forward to seeing every one.
    Marj

• donbonner
    10 years ago

A swap on October 27th sounds great. I have over 800 plants available so I'll have to bring a smaller sample. :-)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

My next door neighbor is an avid gardener and she would like to take part?
    With this plant swap/exchange. Do we post what we might have so that individuals may choose on this site prior to the Oct. date or do we just bring along everything we have?
    I may have many to share, but not necessarily needing to receive that much.
    Sounds like a nice event. Sharing plants is what it is all about.
    Thanks,
    Rick

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

I have a few hundred 1 gallon plastic pots is anyone would like them
    Marj

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

So glad we are doing this again, it was so fun to see/meet everyone last time!! I will look around and see what I will bring to the table...

• klinger
    10 years ago

I'm going to move a few things around in my yard this fall. I'll have a few extras available.
    Things available
    Red,yellow,or Burgundy dahlias
    Orange crocomosias
    Purple iris
    1 small hydrangea
    Bergenia
    Decorative grass
    Impatience niamenasis (Congo cockatiel plant) has to be wintered inside
    Mother of millions, succulent has to be wintered inside
    Perrenial geraniums
    Cuttings from versicolor brugmansia
    Green and cream hosta
    3 types of mint
    Strawberry plants
    Orange day lily
    Blueberry bush
    Seeds from hollyhocks, poppies, cosmos

What I'd like
    Brug cutting
    Primula
    Iris, any color but purple
    Monarda
    Cheers, Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Hello,
    Not completely sure of how this works?
    I have any number of plants that I am willing to share with others, althought I may not bring them along unless there is interest.
    Some of the plants I have:
    Primula 'Gold Lace Group'
    Hemerocallis 'Franz Hals'
    Eupatorium 'fistulosum' - Joe Pye Weed
    Darmera (Peltiphyllum) 'peltatum'
    Tiarella 'wherryi'
    Zantedeschia 'aethiopica' (Hardy White Calla lily)
    Filipendula 'rubra' (Queen of the Prairie)
    Hosta - Variegated (white/green)
    Sedum 'spectabile' (Autumn Joy)
    Euphorbia 'characias ssp. wulfenii' (seedlings)
    Cyclamen 'hederifolium' (seeldings)
    Cardiocrinum 'giganteum' (2yr. old seedlings) a few
    Helleborus 'orientalis' (cream white w/ green speckles)
    3 Forms of Brugmansia cutting (if know ahead)
    -Pink/Salmon
    -Pale Yellow
    -Drk. Yellow (Pendant)
    Sequoiadendron 'giganteum' (1 Gal.) - 1
    Annual Morning Glory seeds - mixed and some named
    (open pollinated)
    Adenium 'obesum' (Desert Rose) indoor- other than summer - a couple

I may have something else and can post a later date.

I would like to get some:
    Sedums (low growing and/or variegated)
    Other unusual and interesting plants

Rick

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, you have a big list! I'd really like cuttings of your 3 brugs,
    I'd lost all my various cuttings last winter and am down to just the 1 versicolor, you might like a cutting of it , goes yellow to pink. The other unusual plant I have is the I patience niamenasis, and the mother of millions.
    I'd also like Joe pye weed and primula, and hellebore.
    I might have some sedums you'd like, you can look at them and see, I don't know the names of them anymore.
    Cheers, Cindy

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, you have a big list! I'd really like cuttings of your 3 brugs,
    I'd lost all my various cuttings last winter and am down to just the 1 versicolor, you might like a cutting of it , goes yellow to pink. The other unusual plant I have is the I patience niamenasis, and the mother of millions.
    I'd also like Joe pye weed and primula, and hellebore.
    I might have some sedums you'd like, you can look at them and see, I don't know the names of them anymore.
    Cheers, Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Cindy,
    You are welcome to cuttings off the Brugmansia!'s and I may have them potted up by the meet.
    The primula, Helleborus and Joe Pye Weed also.

I wouldn't mind a cutting from your Brugmansia, decorative grass and Sedums if you have any low growing or variegated forms.
    Rick

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, I'll pot up a brug cutting for you. Do you prefer a larger or smaller one? I've a couple low growing sedums I'll pot up and grasses.
    Cheers
    Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Cindy,
    Thank you. If you mean large, being a thicker branch? Yes, I think the thicker branches take better than tip growth. Anything works though.

I am going to bring most of what I have on list as I have them in pots now.
    Rick

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, my brug is around 7 feet tall in a pot, I can cut you a piece several feet long if you like. I have a fair amount of low growing sedum, do you want quite a bit or just a few pots worth?
    Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Hello everyone,
    It is Oct 10th/2013 and have not seen much activity on this thread?
    Do people just bring along what they have available or only what is requested?
    Rick

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi, Rick, I don't,t know that there are any rules for this. I hope a few people turn up, I spoke to Jane today and she is coming for sure. In the spring we brought what was requested and I think we all brought a few extra things we had extra of. Marj then kindly allowed us to dig up things she had in her garden.Is your neighbor still coming? Are there specific things they would like?
    Cindy

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

I am just going to bring what plants I have and if anyone wants to take them they are welcome to them. You have to watch one or two, they are like sharks at a feeding frenzy(ha ha). I have some shrubs such as Alberta Saskatoons and white butterfly bush more daylilies and some other odds and ends.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Wolfcub,
    Not sure if it is politically correct, but I would love a Saskatoon bush?
    I will do the same and bring what I have as I do not necessarily care if I get much. Just nice to share around with others.
    Rick

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All
    I am still trying to get the time off for the exchange. I have a friend who is just starting a garden and would ike to bring her along.
    I have a few days off this week so will get my list on of things I can bring and have been looking over list of things people are looking for in the hope I might have something.
    Marj I hope your surgery went well and you are feeling well.
    Happy Thanksgiving and I am really looking forward to getting together again.
    Cheers
    Doreen

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi, Doreen, I hope you can make it. Please do bring your friend. Marj, I could use maybe 15-20 pots if you still have lots. Looking forward to this.
    Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

It is Oct 19th (Sat). Is this plant swap going to proceed next Sunday Oct 27th?
    Have not seen too many posting and was thinking maybe not a lot of interest?
    Hope it's still on.
    Rick

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Could I have your address again Cindy thanks Marj

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Marj, I sent you an email with directions and address, did you get it?
    Jane is unable to come and haven't heard confirmation from Doreen yet. Rick is coming. Rick did you get the email with my address?
    See you Sunday.
    Cindy

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Marj, I sent you an email with directions and address, did you get it?
    Jane is unable to come and haven't heard confirmation from Doreen yet. Rick is coming. Rick did you get the email with my address?
    See you Sunday.
    Cindy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Cindy,
    I did get your email. Added other thread hoping that maybe someone new might see it and want to be involved.
    A friend of mine is going to come with me and she is going to bring a few things along also. Not sure what, but could be a surprise. She has quite a superb garden.
    Rick

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All

I would really like to come I don't have a firm answer from Jeannie so may be on my own.
    I still have lots of Dahlia, Iris, light mauve, white and purple,
    I also have some daisies (that don't smell like catP)
    I will do some digging in the morning. There are a few different mums and a perennial fushia or two and some berginia that seems to be the first bloomer. (which inspires me for the rest of the season)

What time are you meeting and can I get some directions?
    Looking forward to seeing you
    Cheers
    Doreen

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy No I haven't got your address or directions would like them please. Thanks Marj

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi, the address is 1594 Marina Way in Nanoose. Go down Northwest Bay Road to Claudet, Claudet turns into Marina Way, go another block and you'll see my address. My phone number is 1-250-821-1111.See you tomorow.1-3
    Cindy

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Thank you Cindy for hosting our little get together. Once again everyone left with smiles on their faces. Thanks to Doreen for offering to host our spring trade. Nice to meet the new folks.
    Cheers Marj

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Thank you to Cindy for opening up your place for this event.
    What a wonderful and friendly group of people and so generous with their plants.
    I think I will be busy, especially finding new homes for the numerous Daylilies from Marj. Thank you Marj and I look forward to watching the Saskatoon bushes grow.
    I think Cindy's yard may be just as full after she replants what she dug out.
    Thank you all for letting me be a part of it.
    Doreen, I hope that I can take part in the spring one. Please send a note through email so that I do not miss it, if you do not mind?
    Rick

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great fun yesterday. I was so happy with my trades I put them in as soon as I got home. Jeannie was delighted.
    Cindy I have a few lavender for you (little sprouts here and there) so will collect them and nurture. The one I has with me was only in my garden for this season after plucking it from between paving stones and potting up.
    In the spring I will have a better list as work is now getting more organized and easier to manage.
    In the mean time I look forward to a chat here and there.
    Love that little studio and all your concrete work!

Cheers
    Doreen

• klinger
    10 years ago

Hi Doreen, the trade was fun, by the next day I had all but a couple in their new homes. I'd love a few more lavender, the deer should leave them alone, How big should I expect that to get?
    Glad your work is getting more under control,perhaps a coffee visit would be nice sometime. The cement work is fun but heavy and dirty , not like knitting,lol. I have a few projects in my head waiting for time to execute.
    Cindy

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Cindy

I usually trim my lavender down to 2' x 2' and it doesn't take long for them to get there. Apparently they germinate well in in between pavement stones and the bees love them. The deer also stayed away from my sage, rosemary and thyme.
    I put some pink dahlias, iris and daisies out front in the hope that the deer would devour them but no luck there! The picky little darlings.
    I would love to meet up for coffee some time. I usually have Tues and Wed off and start late on some Fridays.
    Cheers
    Doreen

• Doreen5050
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All
    I missed this spring. Work seems to be getting the better of my time. The price of commuting is forcing me to move into Nanaimo so have found a condo there. I guess it is balcony gardening from here on in.
    It was really great trading with everyone and getting to know you.
    Do you think I can grow roses on a balcony? Hmmm.
    Wishing you all a great summer.
    Doreen

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions