Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

WANTED: Asclepias exaltata (Poke Milkweed)

ontnative
14 years ago

I am looking for seeds of Asclepias exaltata or Poke Milkweed, if anyone has any or knows where I can obtain some from.

Comments (2)

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Hi Judy,

You can get them at Prairie Moon Native Seeds. I've ordered from them in the past and was quite satisfied with the service and quality.

I also found them here: http://www.milkweedfarm.com/catalog.asp but I can't vouch for this online retailer.

Hazzard's wholesale seeds has them, if you don't mind paying a lot for shipping and enduring the god-and-jesus stuff they plaster all over their site and their seed packets.

For plants, try Wild Things Plant Farm. the A. exaltata is listed in their online catalogue but "limited quantities". It's a bit of a drive, but a fun road trip and you'll come home with a TON of great plants. April, co-owner of Wild Things, frequents this board sometimes and maybe she'll reply on this thread.

I wasn't aware of this beautiful woodland asclepias until you posted this. Thanks.

Bev

• ontnative
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for answering so quickly Bev. One of the reasons I am interested in this particular milkweed is that it is native to Wellington County, where I live. Our local wildflower society is doing their annual seed workshop in March, using only species native to the county, so I was doing some research on indigenous plants. I was surprised to find this one, since I was under the false impression that it was rare and probably found mainly in the USA. I will check out Prairie Moon website. For a long time I thought that Canadians were forbidden from ordering seeds from the USA, so I have always used that site for info but never with the idea of actually ordering from them. Wildthings Plant Farm is not too far from me (maybe an hour?) so I might even consider a visit in the spring, as long as I take lots of cash with me. Ha-ha. That's why I haven't dared to go there yet.

Sponsored
More Discussions