Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

WANTED: Received Agapanthus seeds

I'm sorry, I forget who from....I need to find out how to start them!!!

Thanks, Nancy.

Comments (8)

• sharont
    15 years ago

Start seed at 20 degrees C in soil less mix barely covered. Germination takes place within two weeks.
    They will not flower until pot bound.
    I've discovered they are hardy to Zone 5a with lots of extra soil, leaves & evergreen branches piled over them!
    This winter will be a true test as I didn't get my two clumps prepared as above before ealy snowfall. But we've had up to 130 cm of snow so here's hoping they survive again this winter!

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

I live in Z5b. Had my agapanthus outside for 3 years. They even flowered this year. It seams, if there is enough snowcover they are hardy. I never covered them up.
    I have been looking for the white Lily of the Nile. No luck.They are not hardy, also shorter. If anybody knows were I can buy them, I would love to hear.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. I went ahead and planted them, fortunately as above. In Canada, I am actually 5b, so yea, no moving in and out!! Ladybug, I may be in receipt of some seed for white ones this fall - bookmark me and remind me before Xmas next year - I will share what ever I get!!

Nancy.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

ladybug6a--are you z6 or 5--I really want to make sure that I got this right....I don't want to lose my agapanthus--I just got it at a trade last June. :)
    I am in z6 as far as I can figure out--says so on the label on one of my seed catalogues--:)

thanks,
    gg

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

gg am in Z 5b. I though a few years ago, that I was in 6a, which was wrong.
    I have been sending those seeds in all exchanges. They are most likley from my garden.
    midnightsmom, that would be great if you had a few white Lily of the Nile. I,ll try to remember for next winter....thanks nancy.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I was trying to figure out exactly what zone I was, but according to the Canadian map I am 6, but the US map says I am 5(b). I will definitely be letting my agapanthus stay out next year if I can. Inside space can be scarce in the winter! :)
    Nancy--I didn't grow this one from seed. I got it at a GW plant swap last June- lots of nice GWers and got some really nice plants!
    gg

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all - since I spend the majority of my time in the Cottage Garden forum, it is easier to put my USDA zone on there...I am 5b in Canada. ladybug, I'd try to remember, but I have the memory of a gnat... my cousin joking said, do gnats have memories??? lol...otherwise I would try!! So, send be an email,which I will use to save your em address, and I have made a note to myself between Xmas and NY's.

Nancy.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

That is so nice of you Nancy. I know how it goes, I can ,t remember who I promised what too.

Good luck with the agapanthus to all.

ladybug6a

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions