Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_from_london

HAVE: Seed Exchange - Ontario Hardy Plants Society

barb_from_london
13 years ago

I've noticed that the activity level for seed exchanges is getting intense here on the Canadian Exchange Forum! I just wanted to mention that for the seriously plant-addicted, there is another long running annual seed exchange run by members of the Ontario Rock Garden and Hardy Plants Society.

For an idea of the extent of the seed exchange, here's a link to this year's listing:

http://www.onrockgarden.com/guide/seedguide.htm

You can use the germination instructions provided in the seed guide to help you germinate seed you get from any source, from the ORGHPS seeds or from seeds on the Canadian Garden Exchange - it can really improve your germination success rate a lot for some species. So if you're thinking of trying out seed you haven't germinated before, and want to check out their germination info, this is a handy place to look.

Comments (4)

• bev_w
    13 years ago

Barb, I see you have "recklessly volunteered" to co-edit the ORG's newsletter!

I have been thinking about joining and now there is no excuse. I KNOW someone in the group.

• sharont
    13 years ago

Nice to know Barb that you are an editor of the ORG&HPS Journal!
    I'll gladly put a good word in for the society as I've been a member for some time. Wish I could get to meetings more often!
    The wonderful annual seed exchange is over for another year and I've already sown the seeds that need some cold treatment. Many seeds I contribute to the GW Exchanges have been started from the society's offers.
    It is affiliated with the North American Rock Garden Society, as well, as a charter member. So seeds that have been contributed to the NARGS exchange will show up occasionally in the ORG&HPS lists through members who contribute and order from both. It all goes around.
    The ORG&HPS Germination Guide is kept up to date and has proven a great help to me in germinating those seeds that need several cycles of temperatures or special conditions in order to germinate.
    Guess I'm one of those seriously plant-addicted persons!
    Sharon M.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

barb_from_london,

in order to request seeds from this ogranization, does one have to be a paid-up member?

• barb_from_london
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, in order to get seeds from the seed exchange, you have to be a member - like most of these organizations, such as the North American Rock Garden Society, the Scottish Rock Garden Club, American Begonia Society, etc. But even if you're not a member, you're welcome to use the Seed Germination information on the website to help with any complex germination needs your seeds may have, or to find out if your seeds have any complex germination needs...A good commercial seed company like Gardens North will provide you with all the information you need for whatever seeds you order from them, but for seeds obtained in exchange from other GardenWeb members the instructions may not be as detailed.I just wanted to encourage people who may be avoiding "difficult to germinate" seeds because they're not sure how to proceed with them... There's information out there to help.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions