Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: tree or shrub seeds

Posted by growjo 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 22:16

I am looking for different varieties of trees or shrubs to try growing. I have only Manitoba maple seeds for tree seeds. Also, does anyone take hardwood cuttings? Can they be exchanged? I look forward to trading,

growjo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: tree or shrub seeds

• Posted by bev_w 6a Vienna ON (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 08 at 23:42

I looked through my seeds and all the shrubs and trees are not hardy in your zone. Too bad.
But . . . do you still have any of the Coreopsis "Creme Brule"? If yes, would you like to trade for something on my list? http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/bev_w

o

Hi Growjo,
Please look up Manitoba Maple! This tree spreads with ease over years and is almost a pest. Some people like them though and are quite popular in our prairie provinces. But I've 'dealt' with them on our country property for 37 years here in Ontario. Wish there was a fairy godmother with a bulldozer willing to take a summer to remove them all!

But as to your wish for tree seeds. I can send you a small amount of seed of the following: Syringa reticulata (Japanese Lilac), Katsura Tree, Betula pendula (Birch) and Buddleja davidii (Butterfly Bush). All will need a protected area to survive in your Zone 4 except the Lilac.

Sharon

o

I can send you some Carpinus caroliana seeds (aka Blue Beech, American Hornbeam, Ironwood). It's supposed to be hardy to Zone 2. It doesn't sound like you have much shade yet but it's a good understory tree for when you do. Mesic conditions are best (ie bottomland tree more than upland tree).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Canada are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here