Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwilds_gw

HAVE: New to forum! Have a few seeds to trade.

kwilds
13 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to start expanding my seed collection.

I have several OP/heirloom tomato's and a few bean's (mostly drying varieties)I also have several older packages of flower seeds that I would like to get rid of but I have to go through them and see what I have.

I am not exactly sure how the seed exchange works so any advice is welcome! How many seeds/packet for example.

Comments (4)

• turquoisegardenia
    13 years ago

Welcome to the forum, and to seed saving... I think you'll find, as I do, that it can become a bit of a "problem", lol. I do believe my boyfriend is planning an intervention for me any day now.

For the seeds I believe the standard count is 24 per trade unless it is something particularly rare, in which case it is 5. You can always trade smaller quantities but simply have to state so (i.e. "half pack" or whatever. Also use your commonsense... I tend to put more of things where the whole plant IS the veggie (such as beets, carrots, lettuce, etc.) as opposed to "renewable" plants that keep producing, like toms, cukes, squash etc.

I do believe I can help you out in the beet and carrot department, I have several varieties of each including an awesome round carrot variety I loved last year (though no differently colored carrots I'm afraid). I also have several heirloom vegetables. Check out my list. Let me know if you'd like to set up a trade, wouldn't mind some Mortgage Lifter, Hungarian-Italian Paste, Fortin's Family. The latter especially... are you a fellow Quebecer? I ask because the breed was originally preserved by a Quebec family (and I see that you're 5a, and I'm in Mtl and am 5a too). Also let me know when you find out about those flower seeds, I could be interested.

• kwilds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the great response turquoisegardenia. I think I actually did take a look at your list a few days ago but wasn't ready to jump in yet! I would be very interested in the Crapaudine beet, the Muscade carrot and the Champion radish.

I am from British Columbia, the Fortin's family beans are some that I got with some other seeds last year. I honestly haven't even tried them. I knew that they were originally from a Quebec family - it would be pretty cool for them to make their way back there! I normally only grow dry bean varieties as no one in my family will eat them any other way! I do love dry beans though.

So should I email you with my address (and I could give you a more complete list of what I have!)

Karin

• turquoisegardenia
    13 years ago

Absolutely! you can do it right through my member page. Now, I have what will probably seem like a dumb question but-- how the heck do you eat beans dry??

• kwilds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We use dried beans in soup and chili mostly, sometimes in cassaroles. You let the beans mature on the plant, dry them and use the bean seeds. They can take a while to soak and cook but yummy!

I'll send a message with my address.

Sponsored
More Discussions