Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacdona1

Tomato Lovers Round Robin

hmacdona1
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I would like to start a tomato seed round robin for Canadian gardenweb members. Here are the guidelines to make this easier and fair to everyone that participates.

1) I will start the package with a minimum of 30 packets of seed. These will be 30 different types of tomato seeds (no duplicates). I will post the final count here later.

2) Signups for this round robin will continue until February 20th, at which time I will mail the package to the first person that signed up.

3) By signing up for this round robin, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE FOLLOWING:color="#0000FF">

* You will post here when you receive the package and post again when it has been mailed to keep all participants informed

* Once the package has been received, you will send it on to the next person within 3 days of receiving it

* You can take as many seed packs out of the package as you wish, but you must replace it with the same number of packs of different tomato seeds (no duplicates). In otherwords, if you remove 10 different seeds packs, you must replace it with 10 different seed packs (not 5 of one type and 5 of a second type).

* Seed packs must contain a minimum of 10 seeds in each pack.

* Seed packs should only include "named varieties" of tomatoes. Do not include mixes or seeds labelled "granny's mystery mix" or anything like that. This is to be fair to those that collect seeds from their tomatoes every year. Please mark when the tomato seed is "heirloom", "open pollinated (OP)", or "hybrid" if known.

* If you wish to include extras because you have a huge surplus, by all means that would be more than welcome, but please mark these packages as extras, so people at the receiving end know they are welcome to take a pack of the "extras" without having to replace it. For those receiving the envelope, please only remove one of each type of extra and pass along the remainder to the next person.

* You must affix proper postage so the person at the receiving end does not end up with a postage due notice in their mailbox. Currently the postage for a large padded envelope with the expected number of seeds is $1.96. On February 23rd, that rate will be increased to $1.96. (up to 200g)

* Depending on the number of participants, the padded envelope may get very well used in transit. You agree to replace it if Canada Post has mangled it beyond use when it arrives in your mailbox :)

* If you sign up and change your mind later, you must notify me asap so we can keep the round robin flowing smoothly.

Let's have some fun trading tomatoes!!!

Post here if you are interested in participating and please send me a private note with your mailing address. Please also make sure your current email address is attached to your gardenweb profile so I can get in touch with you.

Thanks...Heather

Comments (110)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sazzyrose....did you get the seed envelope?

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I got the parcel today. What a nice selection. Thank you Heather for putting this all together.
    The only problem is that I wish I had more seeds to put in so I could take more out.
    I've went through everything and will be throwing it back in the mail tomorrow.

Shelley

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great news!

Tracielynn....you're next :)

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Off to the mail it goes.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Call me stupid, call me blonde...whatever. I was in such a hurry to get the seeds in the mail before the truck came today that I forgot to put the addresses in with the parcel. I put it in a separate envelope and it will follow the seeds.
    A day later....Aghhhhhhh.
    Just so you know what the heck is going on Tracie.

Shelley

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

LOL! :)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

any news as to where the seeds are? did it make it to you yet Tracielyn?
    gg :)

• tracielynn
    15 years ago

I just picked up the envelope in the mail today and am going through the seeds as I type this...it's like Christmas in April. I am hoping the envelope with the address should arrive tomorrow and I will send the seeds off to the next person right when I get it :-).

Tracie

• tracielynn
    15 years ago

Just to keep everyone updated I have the seeds all ready to go but am just waiting for the address list...hopefully it will arrive today and I will get my husband to sneak it all into the mail tomorrow morning before the truck comes :-)

Tracie

• tracielynn
    15 years ago

It appears that letters are not as high of a priority for Canada Post as are parcels. I just received the address list in the mail today :-(. I am going to send the whole shebang off to sweet_marie tonight just in case there is Saturday pickup, but I believe it might not start on its way until Monday. Hopefully, it will reach you in Saskatchewan some time next week Marie...there are lots of fun seeds in there to play with so you should have lots of fun. Thanks for organizing this Heather :-)

Tracie

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am leaving this morning for a mini vacation and will return on April 28th. Please be sure to post your status updates here instead of emailing me directly so everyone knows what's happening.

Thanks...Heather

• sweet_marie
    14 years ago

The package arrived yesterday!

No kidding there are a lot of seeds in there! I had fun last night going through them all, and will send them off on Monday to bdgardener....

Thanks to everyone for the great selection and thank Heather for starting it off!

Marie

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bdgardener,
    Did you receive the tomato seed envelope?

Thanks...Heather

• bdgardener
    14 years ago

It arrived today, and Wow, wow wow. So many seeds. I will have it off in the mail first thing Monday to Sorellina. Thanks for putting this together Heather, sign me up for next year. Cheryl

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update Cheryl. Glad it arrived safe and sound.

• bdgardener
    14 years ago

The envelop was sent off this morning. Thanks again Heather. Cheryl

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So it looks like "chococat" is officially missing in action.

Sorellina hasn't received the envelope yet, but when she does, she will now be sending it on to greylady-gardener.

As a reminder, here's the list of who's in line to receive the seed envelope as of today.

*Sorellina
    *Greylady-gardener
    *Anijunga
    *Northernflwr
    *Rgvnewf
    *Danneh
    *Beet5
    *Shay
    *hmacdona(the hostess)

I have a favour to ask of all of you. For those in line to receive the seed envelope, can you please take a moment to post here and re-confirm that you are still wanting to participate in this round robin, and that you are not expected to be away for any extended periods of time. I appreciate the open line of communication so this can run as smoothly as possible.

Thanks....Heather

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

still most definitely 'in'
    thanks 8-)
    gg

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorellina emailed me this morning with an update. She hasn't yet received the envelope so hopefully it arrives on Monday.

If you haven't already contacted me, can you please take a moment to post here to confirm if you are still participating in the swap and are not expected to be away for any extended periods of time. We want to keep this robin moving :)

Thanks....Heather

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

The parcel has arrived. I'll take today to go through it and then tomorrow, off it goes to Greylady Gardener! ;o)

GG, if you have any questions about the ones I put in, just email me. I put small descriptions, but sometimes people want more info.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Hurray!! Looking forward to it! 8-)
    gg
    (hope you are having fun going through the envelope!)

• rgvnewf
    14 years ago

I still want to participate. Can't wait to see what's in the envelope!!

Thanks,
    Rob
    rgvnewf

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao Greylady Gardener-

The package got on its way to you yesterday! I even managed to catch the postal carrier on her way out. Hopefully, you will get it before the long weekend. I did have lots of fun going through the envelope. For me, though, I have 800 varieties of tomatoes so swaps like this are more a chance for me to give rather than receive and get people excited about all of the zillions of different shapes, sizes, colours, tastes, and growing habits there are out there for this wonderful veggie.

Whoever put Amorosa in there, thank you. I looked it up and it originates from the Netherlands. A good friend of mine from there just sent me a pair of genuine Dutch wooden gardening shoes, so I'm going to grow that one out and send her some seeds!

• bdgardener
    14 years ago

Hi Sorellina, amorosa came from me, I had not found very much info on that variety, glad to know it is from the netherlands, I had only heard of it being a European type determinate bush. I found it at the farmers market last year but the vendor was even reluctant to tell me the name of it. They are saved seeds and the plants I have in my greenhouse are healthy and about nine inches tall.

800 varieties!!! guess I know who to contact if I can't find info on varieties. It was very discouraging trying to find info on that one. Enjoy that one I sure did last year. Cheryl

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

The envelope was here when I got home from work! I had things to do so it took a while before I could spend time looking through. It was fun looking up some of the tomatoes and I am happy with the ones I got to take! 8-)

I hope to have my DH take it to the PO tomorrow. It will be on its' way to Kathy. (anijunga)

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update Lois.

Still waiting to hear from a couple of people, I will follow up with them to make sure they're still participating and not going to be away.

Here's the remaining list of participants:

*Anijunga
    *Northernflwr
    *Rgvnewf
    *Danneh
    *Beet5
    *Shay
    *hmacdona(the hostess)

• beet5
    14 years ago

good morn Hmacdona!

i am here, and still interested!

thanx, beet

• shay
    14 years ago

Me too!! I'm still in and can't wait to pour through all the seeds.
    Shay

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good news! Anijunga received the seeds today.

I've asked her to hold off sending the seeds to Northernflwr for another day or so, as she seems to have gone away. I emailed her last week and sent another email today.

For obvious reasons, I want to make sure the envelope doesn't get sent on to someone that cannot be reached. I'll wait until tomorrow night to hear back from her.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops...I misspoke. Sorry about that. I received a different email yesterday about seeds arriving (for newbie seeds) and my eyes must have been crossed. It wasn't the tomato seed package that arrived.

Lois sent me an update last night. Her DH was supposed to mail the seeds before the long weekend, but she found the seed package yesterday (unmailed)...LOL. She will be mailing the parcel herself today.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Northernflwr was away but is back and still participating. I've heard from everyone remaining (thank you for the updates :)

Just posting the remaining participants again to make it easy to follow:

*Anijunga
    *Northernflwr
    *Rgvnewf
    *Danneh
    *Beet5
    *Shay
    *hmacdona(the hostess)

Thanks everyone....

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

I truly am so sorry for the delay in sending the envelope. I know how anxious I was waiting for it and hope you all can forgive me! 8-(
    The envelope is in the mail as of just after ten this morning and should be to anijunga by Friday.
    gg

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao GG-

Oh, believe me, I know how that goes with husbands! ;o) I'm sure we all do.

• newine_gw
    14 years ago

I was the first on the list, so I just thought I would report on how my planting went.I came into the round robin with 16 different varieties, so that meant that I had 32 different varieties to plant....further GW trading gave me 3 more varieties that I just had to try this year.....so a total of 35 varieties.Even planting token amounts of each variety left me with 240 seedlings.....all of which are now in little styrofoam cups.I donated 3 dozen to the local Arboretum sale and will take more to a plant exchange in Barrie.....there are also half a dozen different people that I give tomato plants to every year.I, myself, will only plant one of each kind of tomato...that is all that I have room for....unless I cut into my peony borders.....and that not gonna happen.In addition a tomato loving neighbour stopped by yesterday with 4 new varieties that I didn't have, thus bringing the total number of varieties up to 39. More planters, I guess.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Anijunga, has the envelope arrived yet?
    I thought it would be there by now.
    gg

• anijunga
    14 years ago

Got it. Will send it tomorrow.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

I am so glad to see it has arrived! As soon as I mailed it I thought that I should have had a tracking number, and was starting to get worried. Anyway, glad it is there!
    gg

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just received a note from northernflwr. She received the envelope and will be mailing it on to rgvnewf today.

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rgvnewf,

Just checking to see if you received the envelope yet?

Thanks...Heather

• rgvnewf
    14 years ago

Got the envelope on Friday and should have it back in the mail on Sunday or Monday.

Rob

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update Rob.

Danneh, it'll be on it's way to you in a couple of days. Please let us know when you receive it. After that it'll be sent along to the following people:

*Beet5
    *Shay
    *hmacdona(the hostess)

We're getting close. Can't wait to see the goodies in that envelope :)

• danneh
    14 years ago

The envelope was not in the mail today. Will post again when it arrives.

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"

LOL

Deb

• danneh
    14 years ago

Greetings,

The envelope arrived in the mail today. Will post again in the next day or two when it is back in the mail.

Deb

• danneh
    14 years ago

Well, after having a minor disagreement with Canada Post yesterday over the $9.00 postage fee they wanted to charge to send that envelope of seeds, the seeds were repackaged in a large envelope and posted for $1.96 as Heather said CP would charge.

Beet5, the envelope is on its way to you with a nice selection of tomato seeds. The envelope is not traveling too far so you will see it soon.

I added 32 "different" varieties after taking 19 packets.

Thank you the participant who added the tomato packets with the writing in blue permanent marker. Those were quite the selection of tomato seeds.

Last but certainly not least, I would like to thank Heather for hosting this round robin. Your generosity and dedication are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Deb

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for keeping all of us up to date Deb.

• beet5
    14 years ago

Just received the packaged yesterday afternoon!
    Will check it out this afternoon and should be able to post it tomorrow.

beet

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great. Thanks for the update beet.

Shay, it'll be on it's way to you shortly.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just received an update from beet5. The seeds were mailed to Shay today.

Thanks...Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Shay,

Just wondering if the tomato seeds arrived yet?

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tomato robin has finally landed back home safely.

Interesting though...I started the envelope with 65 different varieties plus a bunch of bonuses in a baggie. I received 58 back total. Strange how that happens when everyone is replacing the same number they took out.

In any event, it's all wrapped up now. Thanks everyone for participating and I hope everyone got some seeds that they will enjoy for next years planting season.

.....Heather