Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

WANTED: biannual bulb swap: fall blooming bulbs

cziga
16 years ago

So here it is, the Official Announcement for the Fall Blooming Bulb Swap!!!

IÂll be hosting a bi-annual event  one in the early Spring to exchange fall-blooming bulbs (planted in Spring) and then another in the early fall to exchange spring-blooming bulbs (planted in the Fall).

This Swap would be for fall-blooming bulbs, rhizomes, corms, etc.

Examples of bulbs include, but are not limited to:

Gladiolus, Dahlia, Daylily, Begonia, Peony, Calla Lilly, Crocosmia, Astible, Heuchera, Fall Crocus, Lily (as lilies can be planted in either Spring or Fall, they will be on both Spring and Fall lists). No Spring Blooming bulbs in this swap please!

Please NO common orange daylilies or ditch lilies.

NO common purple iris please.

Hardy and tender bulbs accepted.

Please only send bulbs that you would be happy to receive.

Dates:

Bulbs must be received by: March 1

Bulbs will be sent out no later than: March 15

Please remember that the box/bubble envelope you send your bulbs in is most likely the box you will be getting back, only filled with a variety of fun bulbs.

You need to include postage in the same amount as it costs you to send to me. No metered postage please (as it expires) - stamps or cash is acceptable.

Please mark the bulbs you are sending. The bulbs you receive will have the name of the bulbs plus the name of the person that sent them attached.

Please remember to label your bulbs, with the name/cultivar if possible. If you donÂt know the name please give some info, like flower color, variegated leaves, zone, etc.

If I receive bulbs on this end that are dried out or moldy, I will not swap them but will send them back to you. Please send only bulbs that you would be happy to receive!

You may include a small wishlist of some bulbs you would like to receive in return, and I will try to accommodate at least one, if not more, of your requests.

You may also include a small like of bulbs you would NOT like to receive, if there are any!

Please also include your GardenWeb name so I can keep everyone straight.

If youÂd like to participate in this swap, you can post on this thread and I will send you an email through your member page, or you can email me through my GardenWeb member page, and I will give you my mailing address. My GardenWeb email is usually very reliable, but if I havenÂt responded in several days, you might want to try and email me again!

This should be a lot of fun!

Comments (14)

• wildflwer_2
    16 years ago

I just wanted to mention that many of those bulbs, on March 1 may still be frozen in the ground like Peonies, Daylilies, Heucheria, Astilbe, other lilies, I am in Zone 5 and I know that they are.The only ones that are available would be those that are stored during the winter, so should we send only what we have stored?

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I thought of that . . . but I was also thinking that if I got all the bulbs out by March 15, you allow 2 weeks for the post and they get to everyone by April 1. Then give a week or so and you're almost ready to start planting.

Well, I guess maybe that's a bit early. I do want to get them back to everyone in time for Spring planting. We can push the date back . . . Any suggestions for a good date?

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What if we pushed it back by a month? If I were to receive all bulbs by April 1, get them out by April 15? Is that still too early or does that sound good?

• nickie
    16 years ago

Hi cziga

I think that April is a better month for most people. I think I am on the list, but can not participate until the spring. Just moved and everything is still in containers. Plus I have to get my new beds ready. If I remember right I said that I would definitely be able to contribute next spring in regards to fall bulbs. HEHEHE hubby doesn't know how many fall bulbs I am getting for my new garden beds.

Nickie

• elbereth
    16 years ago

Hi cziga,

I know this is a little early but please include me on the list for the fall swap of spring-blooming bulbs. Thanks!

Elbereth

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, based on the imput I've received on this thread and in some emails, here are the new dates:

Bulbs received (by me) by April 15.
    I will send them out again by the end of April (probably sooner).

That is still about 2 months away, which gives us lots of time to plan. I'll keep bumping the thread up periodically to remind everyone. You don't have to post on this thread, but please either post here OR send me an email when you send your package so that I know to look out for it.

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bump

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bump again -- snow is starting to melt and Spring is coming :) Still a little early to get out into the garden and dig up any bulbs, but the day is coming soon.

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I may have to push the date back even farther because of this strange Spring weather this year. I don't know about all of you, but most of my garden is still covered under about a foot of snow.

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, the snow is gone and we should all be able to start getting into our gardens. The details for this bulb swap are posted at the top of this email -- I'm not going to post them again -- but the deadline date will now be the end of April. I have had mostly sign-ups via email, which is fine, but if you want to participate and haven't yet emailed me for my address, now is the time!

I'm looking forward to starting this tradition in the Canadian Gardening Exchange forum, I think a Spring and Fall Bulb Swap would be a really nice way to exchange some extra bulbs that you've divided and a really nice way to try some new ones!

Happy Spring!

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, an update. I've received about 6 packages so far. Not sure if any more are on their way. If you'd still like to participate, there is still time. Just shoot me an email for my mailing address. There looks to be a nice selection so far and I'm looking forward to it!
    Again, deadline date is April 30, although if your package is en route, I will wait for it to arrive.

• cziga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alright, I have 12 people participating in this swap. I'm still waiting on 2 packages and then I'll be swapping the bulbs and sending them back. I'll post, of course, when I do.

This is the final call for anyone wishing to participate. The swap closes tomorrow, so if I haven't heard from you by then, it will be too late. If anyone still wants to participate, shoot me an email today or tomorrow.

• cziga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, just to conclude - swap went well, lots of interesting variety - all packages are now back out in the mail (as of friday) and should be arriving shortly. I look forward to any feedback, to make the swap better, as I'm planning on holding it every year. I think it is a great way to get rid of extra divisions, and try some new bulbs.

There will be another swap in the fall, I'll post about it in late summer. It will be for fall-planted, spring-blooming bulbs (e.g. daffodils, tulips, iris, allium, crocus, and many others).

Thank you to everyone who participated, and made this first year a nice success!

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

I received my box back this morning. It was great to open and find all the goodies inside - there was even a Hosta that I had been about to buy (great timing!).

Thanks to all the other participants - I really enjoyed it

BP

Sponsored
More Discussions