Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

WANTED: Options for cross border trading

User
13 years ago

I know that GW has restricted cross border trading due to regulations. I understand the risk involved is to have seeds stopped at the border. If you are looking to pursue international trade, check the link out below.

I love GW but it's my choice who I trade with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful Gardener

Comments (7)

• hmacdona1
    13 years ago

I don't think GW has actually restricted the trading. They have just restricted who can post in some of the exchange forums. (ie those dedicated to Canadian gardeners).

I may have missed something, but I've never seen anything in the rules stating the gw members cannot trade with international participants. It just isn't easy when you can't post in some of the forums because of your residency status.

I can understand that from a responsbility perspective, GW would want to limit any risks that could come back to haunt them.

Like you, I trade internationally and do so regularly with gardenweb members. I accept the risk and responsibility of that.

As a friendly caution, you want to refrain from posting links to other garden trading sites. This is prohibited from gardenweb and I know members that have been banned for doing this. Their search engines are actually programmed to identify certain references to other sites, and warnings pop up when you even try to include any of those names in messages you send other members. They've really stepped up their monitoring. I don't personally care either way, and enjoy finding out about other websites,but thought it would be worth giving you a heads up on their strict policy on this.

Thanks....Heather

• bev_w
    13 years ago

The best way to do cross border trades is to initiate one using the GW messaging form. There are no restrictions on messaging. Once logged in, go to "member pages", linked at the very bottom of the page. Then you can search other members' exchange lists.

Bev

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Heather for the warning. Point well taken. If I get banned, I get banned. Lesson learned the hard way.

Bev thank you for the information too.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I also trade across the border all the time without problems. You can initiate communication directly with a member in another country through their own page without posting.

• ljpother
    13 years ago

How do you handle SASE? What do you use for US postage for the return.

• gail_ish
    13 years ago

I was wondering the same thing, ljpother - how do you get US postage?

• zucchini
    12 years ago

well if it is a true trade..as in...i will send you so many seeds in exchange for so many seeds..it is easier...you pay your postage...they pay theirs...I have send seeds to the US..and never bothered to ask for postage. Just enjoy sharing the seeds. Have also received seeds from the US..never a problem...Martha/zucchini

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions