Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman_grower

HAVE: Intrest in a Plant Swap in the Barrie, Ont area?

greenman_grower
15 years ago

I was wanting to see if there is any interest in a plant swap in the Barrie, Ontario, area. I would be willing to set up, if anyone is interested. It would be for around the same time as the London one, end of may or early June, but different weekend, because I want to attend thiers as well. Let me know if theirs interest, and if you would attend.

Thanks Adam (greenman_grower on GW)

Comments (60)

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So what is everyone planing on bringing?

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Here is my preliminary list, stuff I know I have lots of without actually going into the garden
    -extra heirloom tomatoes(joined tomato round robin)
    -asst.perennial seedlings(joined uncommon seed exchange)
    -euphorbia myrsinites(donkey tail spurge)
    -euphorbia cyparessias "Fens Ruby"
    -geranium sanguineum
    -periwinkle
    -siberian iris--pale blue--older cultivar
    -pieces of older hosta cultivar--shows good spring colour but reverts to green in summer
    -nicotians sylvestris "Only the Lonely"
    -unknown heliopsis---original plant from Larkwistle
    -papaver x intermedium (if it co-operates)
    There will be more when I actually get out there with the shovels,trowels,secateurs etc. newine

• sunita_fleuriste
    15 years ago

Here is mine as well, very preliminary. All (except where noted) will be seedlings, as my garden is new, (2 years this summer) so I don't have things to divide.

Have (for sure)

Datura: Black Currant Swirl
    Castor Beans
    4 o clocks fuschia/yellow (Pic on page)
    Salvia Argentea (Silver Sage)

Wintersown: (so it depends on if they germinate)

Various Columbines
    Celandine Poppy

NEWINE

I've got some seeds of a penstemon other than barbatus (one is a blue one-I forget it's species name, will check when I get home, and the other is a purpurea (Candy Mountain I believe)). I can start them for you if you would trade me for the geranium sanguineum and the orange perennial poppy? I know that yours are mature and mine just seedlings so if you'd rather not, then I understand.

ADAM
    Perhaps we could all post what we have on our webpage?

Also is anyone interested in AV leaves??

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

SUNITA I have large amounts of the geranium and the poppy, so I am not too concerned about the size of the seedlings.So,okay on the trade for the penstemmon and perhaps some of the celandine if you are successful in the germination.In addition, for the list I have
    -oregano
    -chives
    -lily bulbils from Asiatic lily Enchantment. I inadvertently drove my shovel through a large bulb last year, and couldn't bear to waste the scales.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be bringing the following, just a starting list, I will add more im sure.
    Agastache "Apricot Sprite"
    Butterfly Bush - 4'-5' tall, Purple
    Feverfew, Goldenballs
    Hosta, Big Daddy
    Lavender-2 varietys, not sure what they are at the moment
    Mountain Laurel "Pinwheel"- 6'-8' tall, shrub
    Pasque flower
    Yarrow, Red "Cerise Queen"

SUNITA
    I would be fine with posting on our pages what we have. And what do you mean AV leaves?. I would like to get from you, Datura: Black Currant Swirl, Salvia Argentea (Silver Sage) in a trade, let me know what you might be interested in.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry forgot I also have herbs:
    Also have herbs, I forgot.
    Basil, Sweet
    Chamomile, German
    Dill
    Marjoram, Sweet

Adam

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

ADAM I am interested in the agastache "Apricot Sprite" and also the Pasque flower for whatever trades we can come up with...perhaps when I have a more complete listing.....I have to go out and see what is under all those leaves.....colchicum and clary sage come to mind...salad burnet perhaps....and on and on. newine

• m_lorne
    15 years ago

I would be interested as I am new to the Bradford area and looking for some local contacts and/or new gardening friends. However, I am largely a vegetable grower, but if anyone is interested. End of May and early June I should have some of the following:

Copra onions
    Riverside onions (cert. organic)
    Rosa di Milano onions (cert. organic)
    Varna leeks (cert. organic)
    Bandit leeks
    Nutri-bud Broccoli (cert. organic)
    Everest Broccoli
    Opalka tomatoes (indet.)
    Super Italian Paste (indet.)
    Czech Select tomatoes (indet.)
    Calabash tomatoes (indet.)
    Roma Paste tomatoes (det.)
    Marconi peppers
    Aconqaqua peppers (cert. organic)
    Quadro d`Asti Giallo peppers
    Gloriosa polyheaded sunflowers
    Mexican sunflowers

Let me know the interest levels as I am planting soon, but have limited seedling growing space.

Thanks,
    Michael

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will also have a few Scotch Bonnet Pepper Plants to trade.

Newine
    I would be interested in the: siberian iris, Asiatic lily Enchantment bulbs. In exchange for the: agastache "Apricot Sprite" and the Pasque flower from me.

m_lorne
    Welcome aboard. Are any of the pepers hot? Will you trade for flowers? If so I would be willing to make a trade, will also have some Scotch Bonnett Peppers. Let me know.

Thanks Adam aka greenman_grower

• sunita_fleuriste
    15 years ago

ADAM,

Ok, I'll set aside the datura and the salvia for you and I'd like the lavender and the yarrow in exchange.

Good, I'll update my page when I get new things coming up then..

Just wondering...is that agastache perennial?

AV leaves--> African Violet leaves :)

NEWINE

Good, I'm fine with that trade (Penstemon and celandine for Geranium and Poppy)then.

This will be fun :)
    Thanks
    s

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunita
    Sounds great for the trade. The Agastache is a perenial, 18" tall, very aromatic, and good for teas.

Thanks, Adam aka greenman_grower

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

ADAM I have you down for siberian iris and some lilium Enchantment bulbils.If you like hot peppers, I will have some extras of Caribean Red....I joined the pepper round robin...mostly on behalf of a friend...but couldn't resist starting some myself. There may be other extra hot ones as well. newine

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Newine
    Sure I love hot peppers, I have Scotch Bonnet, and have Habanero on the way, but I would love Caribean Red, and any others, let me know what you woild like in return.

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

ADAM What kind of horticultural currency do I need to go after the Hosta "Big Daddy"?No problem with the Caribbean red variety....I will check my names and get back to you on the others. I could also start some of the varieties that I was holding for next year...Hot Thai,Red Jamaican and Chimayo. Let me know. newine

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Newine
    I would have no problem trading the hosta-big daddy for the Caribbean red pepper, I would also like to trade for Red Jamaican. I also have an unnamed hosta, that is green yellowish leaves not sure about the flowers, if you are interested. Let me know.

Thanks Adam

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is my up to date list. Welcome to April, only 6-8 weeks left, lol.

Flowers:
    Agastache "Apricot Sprite"
    Butterfly Bush - 4'-5' tall, Purple
    Echinacea- 'White Swan'
    Feverfew- Goldenballs
    Hosta- Big Daddy and an unnamed w/green/yellowish leaves, not sure about the flowers
    Lavender-2 varietys, not sure what they are at the moment
    Mountain Laurel "Pinwheel"- 6'-8' tall, shrub
    Nigella-Persian Jewel
    Pasque flower
    Yarrow, Red "Cerise Queen"

Herbs:
    Basil, Genovese
    Basil, Sweet
    Chamomile, German
    Dill
    Marjoram, Sweet

Vegs:
    Habanero Peppers
    Scotch Bonnet Peppers

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Here is my list
    Perennial first year seedlings
    -Kitaibelia vitifolia
    -Digitalis lutea
    -Verbascum olympicum
    -Chasmanthium latifolium
    -Codonopsis vine....unknown cultivar
    Annuals
    -Nicotiana sylvestris
    -Yvonne's salvia
    -Leonurus sibericus
    Garden divisions
    -Euphorbia myrsinites
    -Geranium sanguineum (1 to Sunita)
    -Periwinkle
    -Siberian iris,pale blue older cultivar (1 to Adam)
    -Older hosta cultivar with good spring color
    -Unknown heliopsis....original plant from Larkwhistle
    -Papaver x intermedium (some to Sunita)
    -Asiatic lily "Enchantment" bulbils (some to Adam
    -oregano
    -chives
    I have many, many varieties of heirloom tomatoes, but which will end up at the plant trade, I do not know at the moment....I will post separately when the surpluses become apparent. ADAM....regarding the Red Jamaican peppers....I still have not planted them, so I think I can say that particular ship has sailed.However, I do have an extra plant of White Habanero...I know that you already have the habanero listed, but the white variety is supposed to be hotter than the others.This is seed that I got from the pepper round robin. As for the hosta...I have many varieties...well, many, many is more accurate...but I am willing to chance that it is one that I do not have...if the pepper plant is okay with you. newine

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Newine
    That sounds great for the white habanero, for the hosta.
    My list for you is: hosta-big daddy and unnamed, agastache "Apricot Sprite" and Pasque flower. Let me know if there is any missing, lol.

Thanks Adam

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it looks like some dates have been set for some of the other swaps, how is every one with Saturday June 6th. What time is good for everyone? Seeing how its just the three of us so far, I would be willing to hold it at my place, in the south end Barrie, I have a school across the street if there ends up being more intrest from others between now and then. Let me know.

Thanks very much Adam aka greenman_grower

• laine2
    15 years ago

Hi Adam I do not have a list yet need to wait for this last blast of snow to melt LOL. May I put my name in for
    your Butterfly bush & the mountain laurel please? I'm
    sure I'll have lots to trade Thanks for doing this.I'm
    going to the garden show In Peterborough today maybe I
    can get a few things to trade as well. Take Care Elaine
    in the Kawarthas.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laine2
    Thats no problem, I am waiting for the snow to melt off too, lol. I will set aside a Butterfly Bush and Mountain Laurel for you, we can work out a trade whenever. Let me know when you have stuff and we can work it out. Are you ok with the date I mentoned, Sat June 6th.

Thanks Adam

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Sat. June 6th works for me....the only possible conflict would be if it is also the day of a once a year, four hour,no advance selling, plant sale south of Alliston In any case, since it starts at 9 a.m.....I can still attend and get over to Barrie in time.....just pack a lunch for my husband and get him some reading material. newine

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds great Newine, anytime is fine with me. Make sure you crack a window too, lol. I will put together a map, for giving directions shortly.

Thanks Adam

• laine2
    15 years ago

Hi Adam June 6 is fine I have Dahlia bulbs but no idea as to what colors sorry.Hostas Iris and ?? more later.Elaine
    Thanks for putting the shrubs aside for me.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

laine2
    Sorry it took a couple of days to respond, been busy cleaning up the gardens. One thing, the Mountain Laurel is not comeing up, so might have to skip that, let me know if theres anything else you would like.

Thanks Adam

• laine2
    15 years ago

Thanks Adam that's okey I will be happy with whatever
    I come home with I will have a better list for you in
    May will be watching for directions I live in Bobcaygeon.
    Happy Gardening take care Elaine

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I'm definately interested too!.
    I will have 1 year old hardy hibiscus plants mixed and other perennials. I am looking for hellebores, forsythia and peony.
    I can also bring 1 year old asparagus plants and canna warscewiczii and possibly some baby 4 O'Clocks.

I live in Barrie, also in the south end behind Walmart, so this is great! I will tell my gardening friends, so you might have more people attending. I just saw this thread for the first time today.

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Runningtrails.....I promised you some oregano....still interested?I can bring a heap of it to the swap.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Hi Newine! I managed to pick some up somewhere a couple of months ago, but thank you! I'm really looking forward to the swap! Lots of fun!

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome aboard runningtrails, the more the better lol. I am close to Essa and Mapleton.

Adam aka greenman_grower

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

lol newine! I'll bring the Barrie paper for your husband. I'd love some asiatic lily bulblets!

I will be bringing, among other things, some impatiens gladulifera seedlings and some filipendula "Rubra" (pink meadowsweet) and maybe one salvia lyrata seedling and perhaps some perennial sweet peas and some peony poppy seedlings. I have various seedlings to bring, just depends on how well they do before then. I am potting various things up today for the meet, also.

I am at the corner of Veterans and Salem, I can see the new building on Commerce Park Rd from my front porch. We're very close. Will the exchange be at your place?
    I would like a small butterfly bush and agastache too.

I am really looking for some hellebore seedlings and peonys. If you have some, please bring them.

Just let me know where and what time.

• newine_gw
    14 years ago

Runningtrails I will set aside some Asiatic lily bulbils for you...this will remind me to get them out of the bottom of the crisper in the fridge and into pots. The Filipendula that I traded for last year came through well so I would like to put dibs on another piece of it.I will see if I can separate a friend of mine from some hellebore seedlings...if they are not too small. My hellebore still hasn't settled in well enough to have any seedlings clustered around it.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

Adam, if the attendance list is getting long and you have a small place, I would be more than happy to have it at my place. I have 3.5 acres right on the 5th line, (Veterans Dr.) just before you come into Barrie at the south end - near the race track. Lots of space and easy to find. lmk

Newine, I'll put aside a good sized Filipendula for you. Did you find some colchicum under the leaves? I would like a piece, if you are bringing some.

I think we will all have lots to trade around and look at when everyone is together. I will try to pot up 2-3 of everything I have, even if they are small pieces or seedlings so there's enough to go around.

I don't have a complete list yet. I will have some lemon cucumber seedlings, too.

• newine_gw
    14 years ago

Runningtrails..I have to move one of my patches of Colchicums, so I will set some aside for you...they increase by leaps and bounds.Thank you for the filipendula.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

That's wonderful! Thank you so much! I will have lots of other things, as well, that you might be interested in. Want a goji berry bush seedling? I will also have a few red current seedlings and possible a ground cherry seedling or two.

Another question for anyone. Does anyone need a patio door for a cold frame? I have four extra ones that I'm not going to use. One coldframe seems to be enough for me. (I did have it in mind to make five of them. lol) They are single paned with aluminum frames. Just thought I would ask before listing them on that "Other" forum for free stuff.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

I also have what I THINK is a small ninebark shrub to trade - white flowers in spring and red berries in fall. I may have a few small forsythia shrubs as well.

• sunita_fleuriste
    14 years ago

Running Trails:
    I would love to have a ground cherry seedling if you get any!

s

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

They are coming up now so I will have a few, if nothing happens to them before then...

• newine_gw
    14 years ago

Runningtrails I will take a goji berry bush seedling for a friend. I just emailed her this page as she thinks that she wants to attend as well. The more the merrier.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

I will bring a few with me! Why don't we all just bring everything we have and make swap arrangements there. I'm already confused with who wants what. It doesn't take much to confuse me. lol!

Let's hope its not a rainy day.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have to add to my list 2 Lilac Bush off shoots, not sure of the exact variety but the one we have is 8 years old and is around 6 ft tall, and a fairly round shape.

runningtrails- I was going to have it here, at the school parking lot, but if you have all that space then I have no problem with it being out there at your place. I have set aside the Butterfly bush and Agastache. I would be interested in Pink Meadowsweet and Red currant.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

Greenman_Grower, the school parking lot sounds like a great place with lots of room to move around. Perhaps that would be better than my place, which is quite soggy if not under water, at the moment. I sure do wish it would quit raining!

I will save you a meadowsweet and red currant. Thank you!

My pieces are rather small or seedlings. The measowsweet is not a seedling but is small. The Red currants are seedlings, but doing well.

Is that the Timothy Christian School parking lot?

I will have yellow Dosaki cucumber plants.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

Anyone interested in woodland plants? I have trout lilies, and mayapple on my property that are mowed down weekly (not the ferns). Please let me know if you want them,

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

I will set aside a good sized Filipendula and red current seedling for you, Adam and keep a ground cherry seedling for you, sunita_fleuriste. The seedling seem to be doing well now.

The Cookstown Wingding is that day too. For those of you coming from afar, you should make a whole day of it and go there, as well. The entire town is a garage sale!

As much as I would love to have it here, I have looked around and given it some thought and I have no parking. People can park on the road but it's a country road without a lot of space and I have a driveway that is about 180 ft long. I don't think it would work out well. I say we go with the school, lots of parking there, and it will be dry. If it rains there will be space under the front overhang at the school.

What school, where? and what time, please? Later afternoon would be good for me as I want to go to the Cookstown Wingding in the morning. Can we do after lunch, around 1 or 2, or later, if that's ok with everyone?

I have added so much to my list and am still adding daily.
    Here is what I have so far and only a few of each:

Perennial Sweet pea (if they are up by then)
    Filipendula
    euonymous - verigated sprawling ground cover
    ground cherry seedlings
    red currant seedlings
    pink obedient plant
    Impatiens gladulifera seedlings
    cinnamon ferns - if not under water
    mayapple
    trout lily
    dosaki cucumber seedlings
    goji bush seedlings
    hardy hibiscus - 1 yr old mixed
    feverfew
    forget me nots
    ninebark shrub white
    honeysuckle shrubs unknown
    and probably a bunch of other stuff by then too. I don't think I'll post another list, just bring a few of everything I come up with. This is fun!

A friend gave me a massive peony yesterday!

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

runningtrails- the school here sounds fine then, its St Bernadette, on Marsellus Dr. I am fine for any time, if the afternoon is ok for everyone, then thats ok. I would like some Mayapple as well.

Thanks Adam

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

Sunita, do you have any datura black current swirl seedlings? If so, I owuld love to have one.

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

I would also like a small pink and a white bleeding heart piece, if anyone has them. Mine didn't come up this year
    :-(
    Don't know why...

A can bring small purple lilacs if anyone wants one. lmk please. I would love a small white lilac if anyone has runners.

Please keep in mind: the red currant, goji bush and ground cherries are just seedlings, only 1/2" high right now, but healthy.

What time is good for everyone?

Who's going to the Cookstown Wingding? It's a huge town wide garage sale and craft fair. It's just past Thornton going south from Barrie on 27.

• greenman_grower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

runningtrails- I can share a pink and white bleeding heart, and any time is good for me. No I am not going to the wingding.

Thanks Adam

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

That's great Adam! Thank you so much!

• runningtrails
    14 years ago

Hi Audrey! On second thought I can use more oregano. I bought a small pot but am using a lot of it lately. Thanks and see you there!

I started a second Barrie area plant swap thread. This on is getting too long.

Sponsored
More Discussions