Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwendellanno

WANTED: Russian Comfrey roots

Gwen Zn3A
10 years ago

Hello: I am also looking for Russian Comfrey roots. I am willing to pay for shipping within Canada. Symphytum X uplandicum, Bocking 14 Russian Comfrey. To ship in April. (if possible).

Comments (11)

• woodennickel
    9 years ago

Any luck? I too am trying to find this, or bocking 4.

• MikeH
    9 years ago

To those looking for Bocking 14 and Bocking 4 in Canada, please email me. I may be able to help. I don't often check in here so that's the best way to reach me.

Regards,
    Mike

• MikeH
    8 years ago

Once again this year, I have Bocking 1 and Bocking 4 available. If interested, please email me as I don't often check in here.

Regards,

Mike

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

Mike I wonder if I can ask a question . Is there any way to distinguish say Bocking 4 with Bocking 14 , would there be any visual differences. I have a very robust plant that doesnt set seed but no idea what Bocking it might be .

Signet

• MikeH
    8 years ago

From Richters - https://web.archive.org/web/20150524094233/https://www.richters.com/show.cgi?page=QandA/Richters/20070323-2.html

"Lawrence Hills detailed the development of his many varieties of comfrey is his book, "Comfrey: Fodder, Food & Remedy" (Universe Books, New York, 1976). Hills selected Bocking No. 14 from the Stephenson strain and Bocking No. 4 from the Webster strain, two commercially available strains when Hills began his work on comfrey at Bocking. In his book he described Bocking No. 4 as "the dominant in the [Webster] strain, about 50 to 60 per cent. The flower colour is Bishops Violet 34/3 when fully open. It has strong stems and small wings. The leaves are broad and round tipped, their proportion is 5 to 10, but they have no incurling, therefore they appear far wider than a No. 1 for example. The edges are unserrated, and the veins are prominent, with bristles thickest on the underside so that they appear smooth. At the leafy stage these leaves are very large, recovering rapidly after cutting. The stems, as in all the variations under trial, are solid." He described No. 14 as "the dominant in the Stephenson strain, 80 to 90 per cent. The flower stems are slender and frequent and are entirely wingless. The flowers are Imperial Purple 33/3 fading to Lilac Purple 031/3. The flowers are pointed, slightly serrated at the edges and vary in proportion from 5 to 12 and 3 to 6." "

• signet_gw(6b)
    8 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post this Mike. This is going to be very helpful in determining which one it is that I have. I have wondered for some time now .

Signet

• MikeH
    8 years ago

Once again, I have Bocking 14 and Bocking 4 rooted crowns available. I also have 1½ inch root cuttings. If interested, please email me as I don't often check in here.

• Sophie Auffrey
    7 years ago

Claude(5a), I hear Bocking 14 is a great plant to have for fertilizing one's veggie garden. If you still have some to share, please give me a shout! I live in the Moncton area as well.

• Claude
    7 years ago

I have a method of composting I will share with you which can save you some money. You don't really need a tumble to speed up composting.

• Claude
    7 years ago

There is a place not too far from hear that sells crab meal and lobster meal cheap. 40 lb bags for 10 dollars. You have to pick it up at the plant though. It is a great ingredient to add to the compost pile since it comes from the sea, you get all the minerals plus other benefits.

Sponsored
More Discussions